Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 08:58 AM
hybrid
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 915 tranny question

First, a thanks to the responses I got for my previous question.

I currently have 90 Wt leaking from my tranny, the clutch really jitters when I engage the clutch, the syncros grind when I put it in gear, and there is a terrible rubbing/grining sound at times from the tranny/engine mating joint when I'd engage the clutch. I took my '80 911 to a Chevy mechanic and he thought I just needed a pilot bearing and not a transmission overhaul. OK, why am I taking a 911 to a Chevy mechanic? I have a Chevy 350 TPI motor in where the boxer should be. Now, my question. I don't know a lot about the 915 transaxle but the mechanic was saying that since there was not pilot bearing, the shaft is loose in the crank and blew out the oil seal, is mis-aligning the tranny so the gears grind, and the shaft could be free grinding against the crank shaft. My dilemma is this. I know that I have to drop the motor/trans to put in a pilot bearing and replace my oil soaked clutch. Do I put the whole thing back in the car and hope that the syncros aren't bad or do I rebuild the tranny? Anyone have any good thoughts on how to test the tranny out of the car? I was thinking about just sending the tranny out for a rebuild while I have it out of the car but I'm a little gun shy to spend $2000 on a rebuild if I don't have to. Any thought?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:18 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid give rod simpson a call he is the best when it comes to a V8 in porsches. rod's 310-826-3304. I have a 915 gearbox in mine so give him a call.

George

Quick Reply: 915 tranny question