Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smoked. ...by a Vauxhall Corsa...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
RedShadow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked. ...by a Vauxhall Corsa...

I'm sure you all have a similar hall of shame story... please share.

Was driving my car back from the DTM racing today and pulled out in front of a Vauxhall doing about 100mph and made him break. My bad. He flashed his lights and tooted his horns so I dropped to third and smoked him. Really left him for dust. He came up again behind me and by the time I noticed and had dropped to fourth he smoked me back. I deserved it but it was the 911 equivalent of getting caught with your pants around your ankles. The acceleration in fourth from 80mph just isnt much compared with a revving modern hatchback!

I have an 84 911 and well, that old 915... it just doesn't shift quick does it?

The 80s 911s are getting a bit long in the tooth sadly.

RdSw
Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

long in the tooth - never - its all in the driving.... I managed to annoy an M3 owner by using good timing and road knowledge .... and that was in an audi a2diesel. 80's 911's are raw and require driver input, modern cars just squeeze and go, but they all get caught out in the corners. Have a read of Vic Elfords high performance handbook, plenty of good tips in there.......
Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by diamondcarrera
long in the tooth - never - its all in the driving.... Have a read of Vic Elfords high performance handbook, plenty of good tips in there.......
Nah - this isn't about driver skill - it's about getting caught with your pants down. Happens to the best of us and it's embarassing. Everyone else on here must be drivers possessing amazing skill and alertness - or shy.

C'mon guys!? Shave the beard and poke some fun at yourselves!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
darshie76
3rd Gear

Sunday afternoon....roadlight.

Girl in Nissan Z; look at me, smile...rev up the engine
I look at her, smile back; rev up the engine of my 911 sc.

She start the car at the green light....i lift the clutch waiting for the acceleration....my engine goes off .

What a shame :P
Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

While drinving the VW Thing a few years ago, some guy in a Vette with his female companion started reving the motor at the light.

Light turns green, he floors, smokes the tires it and the patrol officer behind him pulls him over.

I just cruised by and gave a friendly wave

I did get smoked by a Lambo a few weeks ago...

John
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Problem with driving a Porsche is that everyone around you seems ready to race. They can't help feeling bitter and envious. Let them pass. Making them feel better will be your good deed for the day
Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Cant say I have ever been shamed in my car. I always poke off the line and shift to second at about 4,000 rpm. Had plenty of people rev their engines in the past, but I cant hear them now with the cat and muffler bypass. lmao
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

i once got smoked by a ford focus believe it or not. I was in my 944S and she was in a ford focus zxt or something. Such a small car i didn't stand a chance off the light. POOF she was gone
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't see the point in all this 'smokin' tyres' stuff - save it for the track if you want to show off and waste tyres. Me - I like spending a little extra time driving my 911 - always sorry when the journey is over. Getting the best from a these unadulterated 911s is an art form cruising the curves - for straight line speed get something else man - try a dragster.

PJC
Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vic Elford's tip book

Originally Posted by diamondcarrera
... Have a read of Vic Elfords high performance handbook, plenty of good tips in there.......
My brother bought me an autographed copy and I love Vic's advice about "Jumping your" 911! Seriously!
I was LMAO when I turned to that page.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Daviboy
Advanced

Know what I would not even waste my time on any boy racers... My 911 is a my baby and I dont care to waste her on a Corsa or whatever.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like a fast drive as much as anyone else - but on public roads where there is so much risk of others that aren't paying attention or don't have adequate driving skills - not to mention "Johnny Law" always excited to ticket a Porsche driver I usually will just smile and shake my head no to would-be racers. However on a few occasions I might have baited the would-be challenger into zooming ahead just to flush out any waiting law enforcement....and like GothingNC have a few times gotten to wave to my "challenger" pulled over to the side of the road.

Quick Reply: Smoked. ...by a Vauxhall Corsa...