Paint color or code

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint color or code

I need some help. I think in the late 70's and early 80's, there was a solid 911 color, a very light gray, very neutral color. To me it looked like a gray with some tan thrown in, sorry that's the best way I kow to describe it.

We had a bit of a fire last year on our track car, grey metallic (interior all white) and I would like to repaint it this 911 color and keep the green accents, since people have come to know the lime green.

Any help would be appreciated with the color name, code, and if anyone has repainted one lately, what paint they used.

Pic of the car before the door and rear quarter paint were toast. Oil fire from #4 rod breaking then breaking lots of stuff.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have had a look in one of my ref books and there seems to be only two colours that are close to what you describe... (and non metalic)
Marble Grey (673), or Linen (60M)
Hope that its one of these, there are however many colours classed as metalic that are similar to your description.
Cheers
Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

It sounds like it may be the 1983, 60M linen. Or maybe #622 beige gray, which is a 1972 special order color.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

In attempting to find color charts online, still haven't found it. I called a shop and the owner knows of the color and said it was offered in the 80's but wasn't sure what year. It may be the linen or the marble grey. It almost looks like a primer color...still searching and thanks for the responses.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I've seen linen, it has always been a metallic. I noticed you stated "solid" color, which I assume means non-metallic. I'm not sure if there was a non-metallic linen. I just know that I've only seen metallic. Marble grey is like you describe, a very, very light grey. Almost better called an off-white.

www.paintscratch.com gives paint code 673/A8 for marble grey

Brett
Old 08-29-2008, 05:06 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ski
In attempting to find color charts online, still haven't found it. I called a shop and the owner knows of the color and said it was offered in the 80's but wasn't sure what year. It may be the linen or the marble grey. It almost looks like a primer color...still searching and thanks for the responses.
If you get hold of a copy of Carrera 3.2 the last of the evolution, pages 70-72 lists all the colours and codes with colour swab samples.
There is a Linen NON metalic as I stated in earlier post, have a look at the book, Im sure that will solve your puzzle.
Cheers
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was reading that Carrera 3.2 book as well as several of the vintage brochures just last night, and Marble Grey looks like what you're describing. It looks exactly like a grey primer. The Linen color is very close to white.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Marble or linen (E2). In 1984, there was something called mamorgrau (A8 A8).
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diamondcarrera
If you get hold of a copy of Carrera 3.2 the last of the evolution, pages 70-72 lists all the colours and codes with colour swab samples.
There is a Linen NON metalic as I stated in earlier post, have a look at the book, Im sure that will solve your puzzle.
Cheers
As a non-sequitur, I'd like to thank you for the tip. I'm in the process of searching for my first 3.2 and was looking for a source for color codes/options by year (i.e. am I searching in vain for a G50 in dark blue?). I already purchased Pete's book but, with so many others on the market, didn't know what else was a valuable reference tool.

So, an off topic thanks to those on this board for continuing to be a valued resource in my search.

We now return to this thread already in progress.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

I have several color sheets (sales literature) for that era. For a specific year PM me and I can scan an individual page for you to get an idea.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
As a non-sequitur, I'd like to thank you for the tip. I'm in the process of searching for my first 3.2 and was looking for a source for color codes/options by year (i.e. am I searching in vain for a G50 in dark blue?). I already purchased Pete's book but, with so many others on the market, didn't know what else was a valuable reference tool.

So, an off topic thanks to those on this board for continuing to be a valued resource in my search.

We now return to this thread already in progress.
Another good one is Peter Morgan's Original 911 & of course Paul Ferres 911 story. As for blue colours my wife had one a while ago in Baltic Blue - was very nice, my car is a diamond blue but not very blue like at all - see sig.
Cheers
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
I'm in the process of searching for my first 3.2 and was looking for a source for color codes/options by year (i.e. am I searching in vain for a G50 in dark blue?). I already purchased Pete's book but...
Sorry for the lack of color discussion in my book - the amount of info, color charts, special wish category colors, paint to sample options, color names and numbers produced a dizzying array of information that would have added an unreasonable level of expense to the production of the project. That said, you might look into Venetian Blue; a wonderful color that changes with the level, and type, of light available.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

one car, seven colors, all ven blu met.
Attached Images        
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Sorry for the lack of color discussion in my book - the amount of info, color charts, special wish category colors, paint to sample options, color names and numbers produced a dizzying array of information that would have added an unreasonable level of expense to the production of the project. That said, you might look into Venetian Blue; a wonderful color that changes with the level, and type, of light available.
Pete, please don't take my comments as a criticism of your book. Afterall, I'm violating one of the first tenets you espouse which is 'exterior color is not important' by searching for a blue 911. I've always completely lusted after dark blue cars and I think nothing in the automotive world is more beautiful than a dark (i.e. Prussian) blue 3.2 with a tan interior. Of course, I'm open to other colors as well, such as grand prix white (preferably with color keyed Fuchs) and, potentially, silver, should the right car show itself. It's just a personal preference that I don't want another red or black car.

In terms of searching for the right car, your book has made me a much more educated buyer by pointing out the truly important things to look for, questions to ask, etc. I've reread the darned thing at least three times since I've bought it. I'd much rather buy the right silver car than the wrong blue car and your book provides the information to make that right decision. Yes, the Corlett book shows available colors but reads more like a 150 page sales brochure. I'm hoping you didn't take real offense to my comments. I can well understand the additional cost involved in throwing colors into your book; I wouldn't change a thing about it.

So, I'm thinking either Baltic or Venetian although Baltic appears to be a bit deeper. Tim Holt has one in Baltic (for awhile) that I may take a look at this weekend just to get a better feel. Living in York Pennsyltucky, I can count on one hand how many 3.2's I've seen in the last two months on the road and both are have been black or white.

Quick Reply: Paint color or code