SC Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Daviboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Oil Level

PPI completed today brief results.
Motor wise compression test proved less then 4% leak down on all 6 cylinders.
Head studs all good all been changed in the recent past according to mechanic.
Slight oil leak from base of number 6 barrel and slight leak at chain tensioner housing right side. Not had carrera hyd upgrade but no biggy.
Gearbox slight synchro grate which I noticed on the test drive but not major.
Clutch is ok has been replaced with spring centred which is good news.
Only negative is a split airbox but dealer will replace before delivery if we gat to common ground on the price. Other than that cosmetics like windshield rubber and some other little issues.
All in all the mechanic reckons she is a good solid car with no major issues no evidence of any accident repair and is as many people say bulletproof engine wise. She also has a brand new exhaust.
This makes me very happy because as long as the body/chassis is good the cosmetics and small issues I will deal with as I want a driveable project car anyway. So tommorrow should tell on the airbox story.

Ok guys I drove the sc today and generally impressed/excited by the experience. It was my first drive in a 911 and it was rather different to anything I have ever driven. I appreciate the car is 26 years old so was not expecting the new car ride.
In general my comments on the car are as follows.
Clutch- fairly heavy but smooth and no issues engaging gears.
Gas pedal- also seemed quite stiff but nothing major its weird how it seemed to depress quite easily up till the motor got to about 3250rpm, after this it seemed to need some extra effort, but the noise when you push her down makes up for it in spades.
Steering- was tight and the amount of feedback from the fornt wheels was just amazing. I drive a Range Rover HSE daily and the steering on that is like a ship with no feel whatsoever.
Suspension- Also incredible amount of feedback from the road, however I think it may need tweaking but saying that would need to take it on a track to really get a feel for it.
Motor- Before it was fired up I checked below and there was one small spot of oil on the floor. She fired up on the first turn of the key and sounded good to my ear however not being well versed with this motor sounded maybe as if there was a bit of chain slap (well thats what it sounded like to me) maybe just needs the tensioners adjusted. Will have this carefully checked at the PPI.
Slight puff of white smoke on start up then settled inot nice rythm, no hunting up and down the revs just steady.
So onto the road after stalling her once due to wide flip flops, ditched them and drove off bare foot. I was pretty nervous at first and could not seem to get her to respond to my right foot.
However got her out onto a nice long open straight and planted the right foot a bit harder and yep there she went, pulled incredibly strongly all the way from about 3,250rpm then the bellow started through the SS pipes (dont know what kind but suspect Bursche) till I changed up around 6,000rpm smooth and sweet.
The oil pressure at idle is sitting around 1 bar and then under load rises to 4 1/2- 5 bar depending on acceleration. Is this normal range? The far left gauge the indicator needle on the right says OEL is this the Oil level indicator? Well it sat in the middle until under load then fluctuated madly does not seem normal maybe a sensor problem?
All in all though I am happy with the way she ran after the initial nerves and hope to hell the PPI is good, oh that has been shifted to Tuesday next week (bummer). Sorry for the long post but just had to share my first drive and ask a few questions.

Davy

PS I think I hurt my jaw smiling so much in fact I am still kind of grinning

Last edited by Daviboy; 08-26-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Oil pressure seems about right and as for the oil level gauge. Technically it is only accurate after the engine is warm and it has been idling for 30 seconds on level ground. However, I would just use the dipstick, again; warm, level, idling.

The throttle problem could just be the bushing underneath the car that needs a bit of care, no biggy. Yes
Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The oil level gauge is only a vague reference. It does go down as the engine builds revs and the oil is moving thru the system. a new clutch cable would probably fix the "heavy clutch" feel.

Do a search on how to check oil in a 911-basically the car needs to be warmed up, and running. Let it idle for about 30 secs, then check the dipstick. Should be right in the middle of the two marks. Don't fill to the top mark, or you'll really see some smoke!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

The oil pressure sounds correct; should be 4 bar or so at 5500 rpm. During hot summer months, the green oil pressure light can even come on when sitting at idle. As long as it goes off when you accelerate, the pressure is fine; this per the owner's manual. However, if that light ever comes on while driving, pull over immediately and shut it down.

The oil level indication in mine tends to smooth out and read correctly only right after an oil change and it is full. As others have said, get the car warmed up, let it idle and check the level using the dip stick. Over time, you will learn the nuances of the particular car's level gage. I use mine to tell me I "may" need to add some oil, but never as a representation of actual level.

Slight puff of smoke on startup is not a problem.

Quick Reply: SC Oil Level