Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Targa Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Need Targa Top

A buddy of mine has an '89 Targa and was on his way home last week on the freeway, doing about 80 mph. He noticed that there was slightly more than normal wind noise coming from his targa roof, but didn't think anything of it, deciding he would check it out when he got home. Then without warning, the top flew off behind him. Thankfully, it didn't cause an accident as there were o cars directly behind him. This was amazing good fortune as it was a busy time of the day.

In any event, the top was virtualy destroyed and he is now looking for a replacement. Does anyone have a parts car or knowledge of where he could seek out a good used top?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Syd B.
A buddy of mine has an '89 Targa and was on his way home last week on the freeway, doing about 80 mph. He noticed that there was slightly more than normal wind noise coming from his targa roof, but didn't think anything of it, deciding he would check it out when he got home. Then without warning, the top flew off behind him. Thankfully, it didn't cause an accident as there were o cars directly behind him. This was amazing good fortune as it was a busy time of the day.

In any event, the top was virtualy destroyed and he is now looking for a replacement. Does anyone have a parts car or knowledge of where he could seek out a good used top?
Try Dan..

http://www.carsincnj.com/
Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He will need a top from an '86-'89 IIRC due to the different latch mechanisms, unless you can salvage those from his damaged top and retrofit them to the replacement.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanwyk4257
He will need a top from an '86-'89 IIRC due to the different latch mechanisms, unless you can salvage those from his damaged top and retrofit them to the replacement.
That's correct. I have a spare top for my '89 that came off an '86, it fits fine. A new one from Porsche is $16k! Might want to post a want ad on Pelican, watch Ebay and maybe call some breakers. Be prepared, these things are terribly spendy even used- will his insurance cover it?

Edit: eBay item number: 360080853600
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

That targa top at Brumos looks to be a pretty good deal. I have had some great deals with them in the past. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

I passed on Dan's website and the Ebay item to my friend. The insurance company is giving him a hard time on his claim, suggesting that it wasn't properly installed, or it wouldn't have blown off in the first place. They may well be correct, but I still think its weak sauce on their part.

Many thanks for the responses.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
danoberer
Instructor

I bought my tarda from Dan Petchel - he is THE expert on targa tops.

Quick Reply: Need Targa Top