Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Slant Npse Targa

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slant Npse Targa

I continue to search for this car. I finally did get in touch with the guy I sold it to in PA in 2000. He sold it a couple of years later to a guy in Michigan, but didn't keep the guys name. I've had a highway patrolman run the VIN in MI to no avail. If anyone has seen this car or knows anything about it, I would appreicate any information.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:49 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you looking for the stash of money you hid in the front left fender cavity?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Actually I spread it around all over the car, and sold it in a weak moment
Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate when that happens...LOL. But seriously, are you trying to buy it back or something?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

yes, if I could find it. It was registered one year in MI, then disappeared. It has either been totaled, made into a ace car, or left the country. I keep posting here and other forums every few months just in case someone has seen it. I was going through a divorce when I sold it and didn't really have too many options. It was a garage queen at the time.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's build another one, Steve!

Chris
'77 Targa
'87 Vette
'97 M3
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Steve: I told you when you first posted...and I'll reiterate...that's one of the nicest examples of a P car I've seen. I'm absolutely smitten with that car....I know that doesn't help you feel any better and you must be beating yourself up over it, but with all your unsuccessful efforts at trying to find it here ...... I would imagine that car is in Sumatra, Singapore, a private collection, or over in the middle east somewhere. My sincere condolences...but hope does spring eternal.

Regards,
Chuck
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Hey Chris, How is nashville? I bought this Weissach that I am planning to restore. The more I get into it, it seems the more I'm going to have to spend just to make it a decent example. I had 40k in that slant nose and sold it for 25. 20k of that was in performance and handling mods and that was in 1980s and 1990s money. I think maybe I should get rid of the Weissach and start over on something I don't need to keep stock. I don't believe I'll be happy with the 180 hp it started with and I'm going to have to drop a lot of bucks in the Weissach just to make it look good from closer than 10 feet. I've wanted one for years until I got it, and now it's just not what I had always expected. I am letting it sit for weeks and weeks at a time, which is what caused all the problems to begin with. It was a barn find. The guy who owned it got sick and the car sat untouched for 7 or 8 years until he died. Then his aunt let it sit until she died. My first project was getting the critters out. Is your brother still in Atlanta. If so, stop by some time when you're down this way.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Steve: I told you when you first posted...and I'll reiterate...that's one of the nicest examples of a P car I've seen. I'm absolutely smitten with that car....I know that doesn't help you feel any better and you must be beating yourself up over it, but with all your unsuccessful efforts at trying to find it here ...... I would imagine that car is in Sumatra, Singapore, a private collection, or over in the middle east somewhere. My sincere condolences...but hope does spring eternal.

Regards,
Chuck
Thanks Chuck,

That car was the dream of every teenager in the small town in TN I lived it at the time. My son was in high school and all his friends would come over and beg for a ride at all hours. I actually enjoyed taking them usually. I wish I could say selling it was my biggest regret, but unfortunately I've made worse mistakes in my life. Not with cars though. I regret selling this one even more than the 63 vette I sold in 71, and it would be worth a fortune now, although it would not likely have survived the way things were going then
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Oh God, That is what a Targa looks like with Slant Nose, Wide Body and Tail? Wow, a Fantasy Project for me
Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 AM
snbush67
2nd Gear

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/660425458.html
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Bumping this up for my quarterly search. someday........................
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not so big on the slants, but I'm considering a 930 Targa as a must have.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

This may sound stupid, but have you considered 1) running a carfax on it, 2) finding someone with the feds who can run the VIN or 3) contacting the media? The PCA has a list of Vin #s, and how about insurance companies? I think if it were totaled there'd be a record somewhere?

Good luck with your search!

Paul.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I have a funny story that is kind of similar.

My father's first Porsche was a (new) 1987 944 Turbo. It was black on black, with the optional 928-style flat forged wheels. We picked the car up at the US port of arrival (South Carolina, maybe?) and drove it to visit colleges. I drove it on hot dates in senior year of high school. I drove it to graduation. It was a special car, and I hated when he sold it in 1989, to buy a new Carrera 4.

When I went seriously looking for a Porsche myself in 2004, I decided that I would try to find my dad's old car. Part of the sentiment for me is that my dad had passed away in early 2000, very unexpectedly. I posted on various websites, asked PCA members in the know about these cars, but never had any leads. Even after buying my SC, I continued to look.

Fast forward to 2007, and I'm at one of our PCA region's last track weekends of the year, and I'm having lunch with a couple of guys from the club that I'm friendly with. One of these guys, an accomplished driver that I've ridden with and had instruct me a couple of times, asks me if my father has the same name as me. I answered that he had the same name, and my friend continues to tell me that he had met my dad a long while ago, and that they had been introduced by a mutual friend who sold Porsches. He continues to tell me that he met my dad right when he was ordering his Carrera 4. All of a sudden, the pieces started coming into place. This fellow's race car is based on a black 944 Turbo. Stunned, I asked if he was the guy that bought the car, and he was! The racecar I have been around for 3 1/2 years and even have ridden in was indeed my dad's old car! It's not for sale, though it is in very good hands. Perhaps one day when he upgrades he'll allow me first rights of refusal. Here is a pic:

I guess the moral is...don't give up!

Quick Reply: Slant Npse Targa