Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How can one place offer up so much heaven and hell, when it comes to driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default How can one place offer up so much heaven and hell, when it comes to driving?

We're blessed out here when it comes to backroads, scenery and mountain twisties. Even a few tracks, although I've not yet gotten to sample one out here yet.

I drove up to Hermosa Beach on Friday to sample a new restaurant opened by the cousin of a friend. About 105 miles one way, and the drive up was pleasant enough-maybe 1 hour 15 minutes, nice temps and scenery. Great food-Pinkies @ the Beach-it has to be the best BBQ out here in SoCal.

But, and this is where it gets ugly, the drive home SUCKED. 405 at 2:30 pm was pretty much bumper to bumper. On top of that, some moron in a hot-rodded Saab kept punching it next to me during the brief times we got over 20mph. I guess he felt the need to impress.

Then, the shortcut down the 73 was OK, but I-5 was stop and go all the way to Oceanside. The ride home was 3 hours long. I wanted to blow my brains out when I walked in the door.

It's OK now, I had a little run out in the country yesterday to clear my mind.

Note to self: No more drives to OC/LA counties on Friday afternoon.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Hester
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel you, Ed. I pretty much hate driving these days. The motorcycle, on the other hand, is liberating because, even when six lanes of traffic comes to a dead stop, I can split lanes. The only hope of avoiding that kind of traffic is to stay away from the coast and stick to the mountains and desert. This time of year, they are a little hot. Just wait until winter and then it will be prime season.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 AM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lived in California I noticed similar stuff. Nice beautiful drives around Big Sur, and then bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a cell phone with access to the web and/or google maps and you can see the traffic problems before you get to them.

But you're right -- it's the best and the worst.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

SD to Hermosa and back on Friday! Yikes!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hester
I feel you, Ed. I pretty much hate driving these days. The motorcycle, on the other hand, is liberating because, even when six lanes of traffic comes to a dead stop, I can split lanes. The only hope of avoiding that kind of traffic is to stay away from the coast and stick to the mountains and desert. This time of year, they are a little hot. Just wait until winter and then it will be prime season.
I've been heading out pretty early to run around Palomar and such on a regular basis. I can be out between 6-6:30 in the am, and back by 8-8:30 and beat the heat and traffic.

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Get a cell phone with access to the web and/or google maps and you can see the traffic problems before you get to them.

But you're right -- it's the best and the worst.
Jack, I've got that handy little tool....but there isn't a lot of choice when heading south from OC to San Diego. This was totally my fault for not thinking about the traffic aspect before making the trip. All I could think was: BBQ + a couple of beers + beach + playing hooky on Friday= 911.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont feel so bad, nyc just sucks!

Quick Reply: How can one place offer up so much heaven and hell, when it comes to driving?