Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

air box mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air box mod

Hi - here's another small question from a new owner. (and I ain't done yet)

It appears the PO modified the airbox cover (see pic w/ arrow). I figured I could correct this if it violates some bedrock rule, but the bulk of the box cover was cut/dremmeled off leaving the clamp 'ring' intact enough to support the filter element.

While crude and effective, is this a viable method for improving air flow? The air is still filtered. I looked at pics of a cover (used ones are available), but is there a better method, ...should I rectify this? He had added a an MK muffler and a fabspeed cat bypass - guess this was the intake 'improvement'. Acceptable?

I am in the survey, acquire, and fix mode (or does that not end?). For the winter, I was planning on taking care of the fuel line, CHT, and some other minor projects both mech and cosmetic. Maybe purdy up the fan? (Have you seen the polished ones!?)

Finally got my plate this week, PA inspection is this Monday, so she'll be seeing more daylight soon.

Thanks very much. I do appreciate it - I will be asking more questions and hope to be able to 'pay it back' some day.
Dan

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/engine_sml_air.jpg
Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new acquisition! The 911 is my favorite streetable go-cart hobby car. Beware of the tail weight in off-camber turns and try to never let completely off the gas in a tight turn at speed.

That said, ventilating the airbox cover can't hurt anything if the filter says dry. I have a spare for this purpose but haven't bored any holes in it yet.

Keep us informed of your projects. There is a great many years of experience shared on this forum and it has taught me that very few modifications are worth the time or cost.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

My air box came the same way. It also came with a spare unmodded one. It hasn't caused me any problems yet. I think all it does is give you induction noise.

As for polishing the fan, if you are going to go through the effort of doing it make sure you search out what they look like after a while. Apparently the magnisium will yellow or something to that effect in a bit of time. I remember reading it somewhere in a pelican thread. I will try to find it for you.

-matt
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words of welcome and help LaughaC. I did intro myself earlier, and am already throwin noob questions up here. It's incredible. I was wondering if I would have made the purchase if this site didn't exist.

Matt - just missed your post (on edit here) - I may / may not do the polish. I came across a few polishing posts on pelican and here regarding engine cleaning and the like - and I did see the references to fading, color changing, and references to clear coating (with future floor acrylic no less for example). I just mentioned that as winter thing if I had time - they did look pretty slick. If I can't afford nice hardware, the least I'd like to do is to address the engine compartment by cleaning it. Thanks

Quick Reply: air box mod