Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headlight switch help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Weaver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headlight switch help

I lent my Bentley manual to a relative and never got it back ( go figure!). Does anyone know where on the net there are instructions on how to replace the headlight/dimmer switch? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:38 PM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, but it's not too hard. The most important (and difficult part) is keeping track of which wires go where. You'll need to unscrew the **** then loosen the clip on the back of there switch(or is it a nut? I don't remember off the top of my head). From there, pull the assembly out being very careful not to pull out the wires prior to marking them.

That should do it. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Weaver
Advanced

Thanks Nate! I actually did it before your post, but I appreciate the reply. I switched the wires one by one without marking them, which is still probable not a good idea. Marking them is the way to go.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by nate
...The most important (and difficult part) is keeping track of which wires go where. You'll need to ... pull the assembly out being very careful not to pull out the wires prior to marking them.
bump...

I replaced a dipper/turn signal switch and then swapped out the headlight switch a few weeks later. Lots of spade connectors. You can mark all the wires if you want but, like Weaver, I found it easier to change out connections from old-to-new one at a time. This works assuming all the wire color codes match. Presto change-o.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Headlight Sw.

Originally Posted by Weaver
I lent my Bentley manual to a relative and never got it back ( go figure!). Does anyone know where on the net there are instructions on how to replace the headlight/dimmer switch? Thanks.
Not certain about your M/Y.

Here's the wiring I documented for our '86.

Also, while you're in there, add a few more fuses:
Attached Images         
Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

With so many nice digital cameras these days it's easier to photograph everything before you disturb things.

Quick Reply: Headlight switch help