Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can you say LOUD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you say LOUD?

Went over to Joe's ("ShakinJoe" from Pelican Forums)house today to check out his massive weight reduction on his Carrera, and to give a helping hand before its sent off to the shop for new bumpers and paint.

Anyway...he let me borrow his Fabspeed muffler bypass. After I returned home and let the muffler cool down, I preceded to remove my Bursch muffler and attach this "tip" to my cat bypass. My cat bypass is more like a custom straight pipe. OMFG! The neighbors will hate me. Not toooo bad running second gear at 1000 rpm's out of the neighborhood (as I am grinning ear to ear as the resonance is bouncing off the houses as I pass by). Ease out onto the main road, settle into 2nd gear nice and easy....slowly getting revs up to 4000...then MASH IT!!!! What in gods name have I got myself into? What a glorious racket! Sounds like a stinking race car. My wife said she could hear me 2 miles away. About 30 mins after we got back my daughter was begging me for another ride.

Well that was my fun for Sunday. I am definitely buying one for play time.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Just wait til someone here buys one, puts it on, and then sells it because it's too loud. Seems like I see it happen every 2 or 3 months. I would not go out and buy a new one.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

My only question would be...is there anyway that this is not good for my motor? There is tons of rapping on decel. Otherwise I would not hesittate to buy one. I can prolly get away with it more so than many where I live. I dont see a difference between this and the illegal straight pipes with no muffler on the Harley's. Except the hogs sound like crap and this just sounds amazing.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Just wait til someone here buys one, puts it on, and then sells it because it's too loud. Seems like I see it happen every 2 or 3 months. I would not go out and buy a new one.
Yup, that's where I got mine. It was a great deal, it's sitting at back home right now and I have yet to put it on. The way I look at it I can run it for a day or two, have my fun, and either sell it or keep it for when I am bored. Cheap fun if you ask me.

-matt
Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
My only question would be...is there anyway that this is not good for my motor? There is tons of rapping on decel. Otherwise I would not hesittate to buy one. I can prolly get away with it more so than many where I live. I dont see a difference between this and the illegal straight pipes with no muffler on the Harley's. Except the hogs sound like crap and this just sounds amazing.

My bet would be that the loss of backpressure would cost you a bit of power.

Why not go to headers and a performance muffler? You'll get plenty of loud, probably a better quality of sound, and some added power.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I will be switching to headers when it is all said and done. there is no doubt my car sounds better with the Bursch muffler, but the bypass is just for some loud fun. I guess its the child in me.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

hahaha thats funny you say that because i bought one and had the exact same reaction. I installed it on Saturday and took it off Monday morning. WAY TOO LOUD. But it was definitely worth the 60 bucks. I just felt as-though i couldn't drive anywhere without getting pulled over. I had already made it some 100 miles on Sunday i didn't want to press my luck. Surprisingly the car felt very alive with it installed. Seemed to make a noticeable positive difference in power, but i cant take the noise. It will just go on the shelf in my garage until i forget how loud it really was and do the same thing all over again.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Have a read of my experience and see if you still fancy the double-bypass!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=27585
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Have a read of my experience and see if you still fancy the double-bypass!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=27585
I knew you would answer this thread. I remember very well your thread and troubles. For the most part my car only gets driven on weekends, and I can kick all my neighbors ***'s....besides all my neighbors are my friends.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

One really positive thing I noticed...the engine temp is alot lower without a muffler.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Peak numbers, I got the same as w/ muffler on the dyno. I'll have to look at the real estate under the graph to see if there's a good reason to run it power-wise on a stock / near-stock setup though. My catless / M&K setup is as cool as the muffler bypass, temps-wise, too.

Yes, you will experience many burps & farts with the dump tip (aka muffler bypass), adds to the Harley-esque feel & sound.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
I knew you would answer this thread. I remember very well your thread and troubles. For the most part my car only gets driven on weekends, and I can kick all my neighbors ***'s....besides all my neighbors are my friends.
Michael, I need to move to your neighbourhood, pronto! I hope you love the noise - I'd have loved to have kept my double but it was becoming seriously risky to my health and that of my car. God, it sounded loud! You lucky man, go for it
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a really super set up on my 81, and it was dyno tuned, so I know it made power. The thing is, the darn muffler sounded great for about 20 minutes, but it gave me a severe headache if I drove for an hour. I took to wearing earplugs, and eventually put on a more conservative unit.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I installed one of these within 30 minutes of my car coming off the transporter because a friend had one and I loved the sound. I will go to a pure racing exhaust when I start racing but for now it's the best-sounding and cheapest exhaust I've heard on any 911 except maybe a 993 Cup. I LOVE the popping on deceleration. If anyone wants to hear what it sounds like PM me and I'll link you to some video.

I couldn't care less right now if I've lost or gained 3hp but I doubt it affects anything since the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

Now if you run a cat bypass with one of these muffler bypasses it is ridiculously loud, as in straight pipes loud.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Now if you run a cat bypass with one of these muffler bypasses it is ridiculously loud, as in straight pipes loud.

LMAO! Thats where I am at right now. My cat bypass is unlike any I have seen. It is essentially a straight pipe. I was curious about trying a diff type of cat bypass or maybe a baffled pipe of some sort.

As it is right now...it will break ear drums at full throttle if you are on the exhaust side. When i drive it I kinda feel like that commercial on tv where the guy is sipping the soda and refilling at the store disspencer...as "I'm a criminal" plays in the background.

I will say that my car has never turned as many heads as it does now.

Quick Reply: Can you say LOUD?