Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can you say LOUD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
LMAO! Thats where I am at right now. My cat bypass is unlike any I have seen. It is essentially a straight pipe. I was curious about trying a diff type of cat bypass or maybe a baffled pipe of some sort.

As it is right now...it will break ear drums at full throttle if you are on the exhaust side. When i drive it I kinda feel like that commercial on tv where the guy is sipping the soda and refilling at the store disspencer...as "I'm a criminal" plays in the background.

I will say that my car has never turned as many heads as it does now.
Yeah that's too loud IMO for a street car. You could try a Euro Premuffler which is less restrictive than a normal cat but not a straight pipe like a cat bypass.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a fabspeed euro pre-muffler and I have just installed a muffler bypass. Yes, it's loud, I think I am going to have to take it off before my next road trip but man was it hella fun going full throttle to redline in that thing. Yeeeeeha!

-matt
Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 AM
spaamport
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after I bought my 77 911S i rebuilt the engine and wanted to make sure it was running before i finished reassmbling everything and i ran it without the muffler...

holy jeebus my head about exploded right there in the garage. it was louder than i think i can describe in words...
Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

HAHA - I heard it on Joe's car = Good fun!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Ok, I surrender. Just got back from taking my daughter to her mothers (quite a little drive). Tomorrow I will be putting my Bursch back on. I do love the sound of the double bypass but it is too loud for comfort. I just feel like too much of a cop target and I cant enjoy the ride as much.

I have confirmed that there is a definite lower engine temp. Does that mean My Bursch is too restrictive (dont think so because it is loud), or is it just because with a muffler you have this thing next to the engine that adds alot of heat?

I was thinking the muffler bypass would be perfect for me if I had some more restriction in my cat bypass. Wonder if there is a way to make a smaller sized muffler you could put in place of the cat bypass that equals the size of the cat bypass. Or do they make a cat bypass of some sort that is not actually a cat but more restrictive than just the straight pipe. What is a pre-muffler? Is it some sort of cat? I am a little confused but I really like the cooler running temps without the muffler.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pre muffler is like a glass pack that goes in place of the cat. Its suposedly quieter than just a straight pipe but its still straight through so it cant do a whole lot i dont think
Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Ok, I surrender. Just got back from taking my daughter to her mothers (quite a little drive). Tomorrow I will be putting my Bursch back on. I do love the sound of the double bypass but it is too loud for comfort. I just feel like too much of a cop target and I cant enjoy the ride as much.

I have confirmed that there is a definite lower engine temp. Does that mean My Bursch is too restrictive (dont think so because it is loud), or is it just because with a muffler you have this thing next to the engine that adds alot of heat?

I was thinking the muffler bypass would be perfect for me if I had some more restriction in my cat bypass. Wonder if there is a way to make a smaller sized muffler you could put in place of the cat bypass that equals the size of the cat bypass. Or do they make a cat bypass of some sort that is not actually a cat but more restrictive than just the straight pipe. What is a pre-muffler? Is it some sort of cat? I am a little confused but I really like the cooler running temps without the muffler.
Just put the stock cat back on then put the bypass on that. It's quieter than what you have now but sounds much better than stock.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Just put the stock cat back on then put the bypass on that. It's quieter than what you have now but sounds much better than stock.

Florida car for most of its life...cat has been long gone.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Michael,

Currently I have the fabspeed bypass euro pre muffler thing a ma bob. I also have the muffler bypass. Hella loud. It's fun but I am going to go back to a muffler before my road trip back home (3hrs).

-matt
Old 08-17-2008, 12:39 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I do love the sound I have while running my cat bypass with the Bursch muffler...but there is such a HUGE difference in engine temp running the muffler bypass. Sound wise I think I would be most happy right in the middle of cat+muffler bypass and cat bypass with Bursch.

What does a premuffler cost?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 AM
old man neri
Drifting

I do love the sound I have while running my cat bypass with the Bursch muffler...but there is such a HUGE difference in engine temp running the muffler bypass. Sound wise I think I would be most happy right in the middle of cat+muffler bypass and cat bypass with Bursch.

What does a premuffler cost?
A new fabspeed one is about 300 but if you are patient you can usually find a used one for less.

I haven't noticed any temp differences between my muffler and my bypass. Maybe it's my climate or maybe it's because I have the carrera cooler in my fender...who knows.

Actually on the drive home I was thinking if there was a way to weld on a butterfly valve on my muffler that is cable actuated. Pull the cable and it bypasses the muffler, put it back and it goes back to the muffler. Basically the best of both worlds. It would be interesting if it would work.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:25 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

You Tube. This was taken a couple days ago inside my garage. garage door was open, camera is on the passenger seat, windows up, with car cover and blankets still on top. These sound clips do not ever sound as good as live in person. Just a short idle and (noisy *** key buzzer), couple small blips of throttle. (nothing compaired to out on the road at 4,000-5,000 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Qky0B8F3w
Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 AM
old man neri
Drifting

I'll try to take a youtube of mine. I have a suction mount so I should be able to capture the insanity at full throttle/redline.

But yours does more or less sound like mine. It's just hard to judge the intensity.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Sorry you've surrendered Michael but I understand where you're coming from. With mine it got to the stage that I thought the whole world was looking at me and phoning the cops. I got paranoid! I now have a cat bypass with the stock final muffler. Not very loud but I do enjoy the character of the car more now plus I can start it up without having to look over my shoulder for neighbours with a baseball bat...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I have the dual Bursch with a cat bypass straight pipe.
When you wind it up it sets off car alarms and scares small children.

Quick Reply: Can you say LOUD?