Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cap Top Snapped On One Side---I finally had the car in great shape too...CAR FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cap Top Snapped On One Side---I finally had the car in great shape too...CAR FOR SALE

Ok so I went to LA to see my parents. This morning I went for a drive with the top down and when I got home I was putting the top up but hear a loud SNAP. I turn around and see that only the drivers side of the top was going up. I think most of the experienced people know what that side bar that snapped is called but I am not sure of the name. My mechanic said a lot of people weld it, but if the weld cant be done a whole new frame needs to be installed. If that is done I might as well put a new top on it. The frame is 1800.00 used, and god knows how much new...maybe 5-6K? It is a dealer only part and I was told nobody buys a new one. If I get a used frame and a new canvas thats 2300.00 plus labor I am done, I cant do this anymore....the car is up for sale immediately following this repair or before it if anyone chooses so. After repair I will ask for 19.5K, before repair 16,750.00. Either way I think most people on the forum would agree the car is worth it. I have done extensive servicing, repair, and some restoration on the car including a very very recent carpet installation. The car is gorgeous, but my pockets are just not DEEP enough anymore since i am a grad student and just took a pay cut at work as well. Any help on the situation is appreciated, and taking all offers on the car now.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Pics? (To better access and help)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really don't get enough joy from owning the car to justify the money, then sell it. But there are some things in life have a value that you can't "justify" in dollars and cents.

Don't give up on a reasonably-priced repair. Do a little creative shopping... visit some welders. Buy some duct tape. There's got to be a way to repair it. I think old man neri is right: post some pics so we can help out

Last edited by 911vet; 08-08-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Yep I agree with 911vet... take a few days and think about it. Welders can do a lot and usually cheaper than you'd think. I've enjoyed reading your posts about fixing that gal up. Be a real shame to dump her now. Plus you've got ages before the rain comes ;-)
Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
speedcat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I think about selling my car, I end up asking myself "what would I replace it with?".
Good luck with the sale, if that is what you choose to do. I hope you end up with a ride that keeps you smiling!

ps. would love to see more pics of Granite Green Metallic

Last edited by speedcat; 08-08-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: want pics
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "TOO MUCH FUN", that says it all. Get a good weld on it and keep the car.

Also ,just wondering is there a proper way of putting up the top to avoid this?
...abe
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Oshin,--move to a coupe. Older cabs are like yachts.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Oh man so my mom called her friend who was a Porsche mechanic and Mercedes Mechanic in Southern Germany for 15 years and he came over and said "there is hope". He immediately began tearing my car apart haha. 1.5 hours later he had it fully disassembled and took the parts to his friend who specializes in vehicle aluminum welding. He also checked the main motor linkage and said he would take it apart tomorrow morning and tell me if it was ok. The motors were actually properly working and he said that is NOT what failed. Apparently the main motor link (passenger side circular black thing that lifts the top) was out of alignment and eventually didnt trigger the switch to make it keep working. When he was taking it apart you could tell it was out of alignment because the nuts "popped" as he removed it. Lesson of the day is.....periodically have your top's alignment checked by someone who is experience in porsche cab tops. So this guy is pretty amazing and just saved me like 2000 in parts and probably 800 in labor. He also said if I want to just get a new canvas top and he'll put that on too. He is so generous and awesome.....I owe him big time! Updates to come.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sooooooo, I guess the car is off the market?
abe
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

No I will still sell for 19,500. Not that this dilemma is over, but if it is, this close call has shown me that something like a pulled head stud or massive engine failure could really put me in a tight spot. So yes still on the market.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Oshin,

Sometimes I have the same worries about my Targa fearing if something very expensive breaks, will I be able to afford it? Right now I focus about the joys of driving and wrenching on the Porsche instead.

If you do sell your Cabrio, you could always pick up a used Boxster in a few years for under $10k to cure the Porsche "itch" when it comes back.

Good luck

John
Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

One of the reasons that a lot of people prefer a manual operated top.

Glad you are getting it fixed, maybe you will change your mind and keep it for a bit longer. Good luck, either way!! Tony.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
1303RS
Racer

Im glad you got it fixed. One thing that vert owners dont know about their cars is that tops have to be just right, an alignment, pads, cables, All of these things must be in great shape. I see this all the time. When its time for a new top on an older car, pads cables need to be replaced too. They stretch and wear out even if they look good. with a power top there is more, motors, switches. People love verts but they can get expensive to replace. I try to explain this to my customers, but when it comes to spending the money, they wont. I agree that a manual top is better for sure. Less to go wrong. In Oshins case it was a broken frame, this can happen due to alignment or something working its way loose. Tops normally wont un-align themselves, but after time parts wear out. I try to educate my customers about their tops so they understand why things need to be checked or replaced so as a whole the top works the way it should for many more years. Keep in mind that things happen to cars, its part of the experience, good or bad. The other thing is that THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

No I will still sell for 19,500. Not that this dilemma is over, but if it is, this close call has shown me that something like a pulled head stud or massive engine failure could really put me in a tight spot. So yes still on the market.
YOu gotta do what your situation dictates. HOwever, I look back at the Abarth Zagato, XK120, XKE, MGTC, 356, and several 1956- 58 Alfas that i sold and wish I could have looked into the future. Emotions aside, the financial market is not very liquid-- difficult to borrow money (hard to sell a car). It may not get better for another year but at least repair in underway and losses are getting more transparent. Could a cheap Hyundia or Miata get you thru until you arrive at better cash flow?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
1303RS
Racer

Oshin, You said that now that this is fixed you woory about a head stud or engine failer. That could happen to anyone at any time. Living with that fear will only bring that fear to life. Enjoy the car for all that it is and the joy it brings. Worry 'What if' and that will happen. Know that you have a great car and that it will last for a long time. If and when it breaks, than decide what to do. You can always store it if the funds are not avalible. Like Jakeflyer said Can you get something cheap as a daily?

Quick Reply: Cap Top Snapped On One Side---I finally had the car in great shape too...CAR FOR SALE