Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cap Top Snapped On One Side---I finally had the car in great shape too...CAR FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

For excellent aluminum welding in town go to Tilford.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

While has has it apart have him convert it to a manual top. That's what I would do.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
2nicehounds
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you busted one of the main bows. This happens for a couple of reasons usually the cable on one of the sides is worn causing the motor on one side to work slightly quicker or slower than the other resulting in the damage. Some models (I think 87-91) come in 3 pieces: main folding top bow (L) main folding top bow (R) and the bow plate that runs accross the top. If you have a 3 part bow on your 911 contact me I have the left side, part #911 561 927 00 that's been repaired and lists new from porsche around $2100!! I have it because mine went & I was ready to use the repaired bow when at the last minute I located a used one. You may save on this if you buy it from me or find one used but you will need new cables so it pulls up & down evenly and correctly & they are about $300 each. Without them you risk snapping it aagin possibly when showing the car.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hi guys update! So my mother's friend took a look at both of the gears and found that the problem was misalignment that led to failure of one of the sides. It wasnt a cable problem. Now this is where I stand. The welder did an amazing job with the arm and reshaped a bowed piece back to its perfect straight position....cost 250 dollars! "While I am in there" we are going to reseal the entire area, all new seals. This means every seal on the car except the trunk and bumper areas pretty much. Cost of seals is about 1000 dollars total. So I am at 1250. "While I am in there" lol.....I am also going to re-canvas the top. This way the mechanical skeleton works, all the wind noise I was having will hopefully be muted a little, and the rain leaks I was having will hopefully be a thing of the past.

MY QUESTION: Pelican Parts Happich German Canvas? (891 USD) Pelican Parts Haartz American Stafast Canvas? (650 USD) GAHH SonnendeckSonnenland Canvas (I think its German--700 USD) or GAHH Authentic German Canvas (870 USD). Anyone bought one of these? Experiences? Suggestions?

PICTURES TO COME!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
1303RS
Racer

Oshin,
Gahh offers a great product. Have used them several times for customers cars. All in all any of the German canvas's would be the way to go. They are all very good materials. The authentic German canvas will be what can from the factory. The german canvas offered at Pelican or GAHH or the same. The american Hartz is a very good material, just does not have the German backing, the inside of the material. It has a different pattern. It all comes do to what you want to spend. All will be great. If you want the factory look/style material, go German. I have not used the Pelican tops and I dont know who they buy from. I have used Gahh on newer 911s and Boxters and the fit was perfect. Either one you buy will be fine just depends on how picky you are about the material.

No affiliation with Pelican or GAHH.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Thanks I went with the American GAHH sonnenland material, I hope its not too different from what I have now. I also got a new headliner, mine was turning brownish. Total spend ~2500 dollars. Lots of seals and stuff being replaced to avoid the leaky top situation I had last winter that led to my recarpeting. Hopefully I wont have as much wind noise as well too. I'll update next weekend when we get down to doing it.

Quick Reply: Cap Top Snapped On One Side---I finally had the car in great shape too...CAR FOR SALE