Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sportomatic repair procedures needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
wdparise
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportomatic repair procedures needed

I have a 1968 911L sportomatic and have the drivetrain out to address some oil leak issues at the clutch. I have to replace a ball bearing on the bell housing and the trans input shaft oil seal. My Haynes manual details most of the bell housing dis assembly and even transmission dis asembly, but completely leaves out replacement of that bearing and the input shaft seal.

The input shaft guide tube is not the same as the 5 speed 901. On the 5 speed that guide tube is bolted to the transmission. On the sporto it appears to be a press fit. That bearing on the bell housing also looks to be a press fit.

I don't want to force anything or take apart the transmission if I don't have to. No one seems to know these transmissions any longer. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Default Sportomatic

Make sure the torque converter is in good shape, and one of the main items you want to check is the stater support. The bushing in the stater support will have a tendency to work itself loose after wear, which will allow oil to leak onto the clutch assembly and also onto your heat exchangers. Your gear box traditionally is like a manual transmission with a regular clutch assembly, the key is the torque converter. The torque converter is lubricated by oil and what seperates the oil from going into your clutch assembly is the stater support. If the bushing works itself loose then you are going to have oil coming out around the transmission, and if it is heavy then you probably need a new stater support. I hope this helps a little;

Last edited by wpriller; 08-06-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've done a number of Sportos, both trans and clutch problems, and I've always relied on the factory manual - something that you might consider investing in (I've never used Haynes so I don't know what it's telling you). There is so much to know regarding the Sporto clutch/trans that I'm afraid that this forum might not be as good as a factory manual.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
wdparise
4th Gear

I didn't think about the stator support. Is that the part that is referred to as the freewheel lock? It appears to have a bronze bushing on the inside. That part is original. I replaced the torque converter about 10K miles ago because a groove was worn in it where the oil seals rides. When I took apart this time, the torque converter was pretty much dry. The clutch side of the bell housing was soaked with oil. I pretty sure it was gear oil. I noticed that there is a good amount of wobble in the freewhell once the converter was removed. I didn't notice whether that wobble was there before.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
wdparise
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I've done a number of Sportos, both trans and clutch problems, and I've always relied on the factory manual - something that you might consider investing in (I've never used Haynes so I don't know what it's telling you). There is so much to know regarding the Sporto clutch/trans that I'm afraid that this forum might not be as good as a factory manual.
Thank you for the info. I like the sportomatic, fun to drive when it works, but this has been frustrating. Where do I get a factory manual? Hopefully it's still available.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Yes, its' a bronze bushing, I had to replace one in a 68L back in 1979, and I used the part for a paper weight for a long time. I had the same issues with my 68L Sportomatic until I replaced the stator support which solved my leakage problems.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wdparise
Thank you for the info. I like the sportomatic, fun to drive when it works, but this has been frustrating. Where do I get a factory manual?
That's a problem, occasionally an original set will show up on eBay, and even in the Rennlist forums. I just did a search and couldn't find anything; you might want to start a new thread to see if someone has a set they want to part with.
The following users liked this post:
SFE (11-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
wdparise
4th Gear

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I have to find a manual and some parts now!

Quick Reply: Sportomatic repair procedures needed