Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

before i go to look at it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
At 161K miles this car will definitley need some $, A fun Posche for low$? I doubt it.
But if this is fully evaluated and understood up front and price negotiated accordingly, you can have a lot of fun for the money.
My point exactly, there does seem to be enough that's "right" with this car that it's good enough to pursue with a quality PPI. But if the car looks crappy up close and personal (headliner, paint, etc.) the seller probably doesn't have a lot of head room for negotiation (they already think that $14K is not a lot of money), but Schrager did call the SC, in Pano, today's hobby car. It basically depends on what that PPI finds, and what the seller needs to get (do they own it, is it there on consignment?) for the car. Negotiation for a car like this is always easier with an owner than a dealer - an owner might knock off $2K to cover the seats and dash in order to move the car, but a dealer will probably have the attitude that, "If this dude doesn't buy it, somebody else will."
Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Experts like Peter Z and Steve W can comment on the car b ut it's the posture of the dealership that puts my antennae up.

If they want you to look at their cars as investments they are already off base.
This car is not an investment.

At 161K miles this car will definitley need some $, A fun Posche for low$? I doubt it.

But if this is fully evaluated and understood up front and price negotiated accordingly, you can have a lot of fun for the money.
I think people here are giving WAY too much thought to the dealership. They are what they are, and they are trying to make a profit, some with more ethics and honesty than others.

If a dealer has a car one likes, one should go look at it and drive it. Then one would make whatever offer they deem fit for the car, and subject to whatever terms they want to propose. Either a deal is struck that both parties agree to, or not.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a reason they have a bad reputation- it's a combination of their awful attitude and the lies they tell about the cars they offer.

You can make a profit without being that way.

Let us know what happens.

Paul.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down $15,000.00, 82 Model

I personally believe the asking price of $15,000.00 is a bit high for this particular car, as it is approaching the cost that can be found for a lot of the 3.2 cars and even some G50 cars if you keep an eye on the market. With the things that Pete and others have pointed out, it will take some serious additional $$$$$ to get the car sorted out correctly, unless you don't care what condition some things are. But, accepting sub-quality items, does not go in line with the idea of having a Porsche, to me. I believe it should show quality in all aspects. But quality does cost $$$$. Just my thoughts. Good luck on the hunt!! Tony.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

...and to think, I almost gave away my car for $17K (with this trunk, this paint, this dash, etc., etc.) - sheeeesh!
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...and to think, I almost gave away my car for $17K (with this trunk, this paint, this dash, etc., etc.) - sheeeesh!

LOL, I am loving my car more and more.
Wont be too long before the 997's are cheaper than an SC, I have already seen some 996's cheaper.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
LOL, I am loving my car more and more.
Wont be too long before the 997's are cheaper than an SC, I have already seen some 996's cheaper.
I just read in the latest issue of Sports Car Market magazine that bidding stopped at $11K for a year 2000 Boxster. We have a '99 in our local paper for $16K, and a 2003 for $24K. I know of an early Boxster S that recently sold for $18K. Our cars are 25 + years old, and still worth as much as 6-8 year old, technology-loaded, competent, pretty, civilized Porsche sports cars with less than 75K miles. I think that's pretty cool!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Pete or Steve, do leather dashes ever survive 25 years and not look terrible? I've seen some that are much, much worse than this one appears to be from the pics.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine 88
Pete or Steve, do leather dashes ever survive 25 years and not look terrible? I've seen some that are much, much worse than this one appears to be from the pics.
Of course they can/do. It all depends on the type of life they lead.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Of course they can/do. It all depends on the type of life they lead.
Ed is right; its all about where they have been over the years,...

30 years ago, I told my customers to always carry a white towel and cover the dash whenever the car is parked and that will pay big dividends (especially when you cannot buy original early dashboards any longer).
Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

If all of the leather is properly taken care of, it should last as long as the rest of the car. Proper maintenance, done through out the seasons, will pay big dividends in the longevity of your leather interior.(will work for the vinyl interiors as well) Tony.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I have seen several 1982 thru 1987 with about 100,000 or less for 14,500-15,500 within the last month. The really nice cars have sold within a week. Other not so nice have been on the market for weeks. My guess is that the dealer has a 3-4 thousand cushion in this car.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 PM
porsche4us

I considered heading south to look at a few 80s 911 that they had in their inventory. After reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I did not take the trip down.

Quick Reply: before i go to look at it in person?