Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

before i go to look at it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
richri929
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before i go to look at it in person?

http://www.nwicars.com/08090.htm

What do you think?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's in Oregon...Where are you? Call Steve Weiner at www.rennsportsystems.com and ask him if he knows of the car or the dealer. It looks like a great car and a fair price.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Car actually looks like it might be a "survivor," but it's certainly got some issues. The dash needs replacement, as do the seats. The trunk is a real mess (do they have the spare tire pump and tool bag). Whit paint that's old can get dingy, which won't show in pictures. The original steering wheel is gone, but at least the replacement looks OK. It still has the 85 mph speedo! Camera angles are funny; the left front fender well area looks detailed (bright white), but the right front looks dark & gloomy. The original VIN sticker is on the left door post, and the engine compartment looks like it's had decent care (the injector lines aren't bent, etc.). That alarm horn is from the '80s, I'll bet the guy's mechanic hates that thing! I don't know, this car might be worth doing a comprehensive PPI on, including rocker covers off to check the head studs. Also, get copies of the service records, Carrera tensioner update?, how old are the shocks? how old are the tires?, etc. This car could be one of those "Oh my God, how much did we spend on it last year?" cars... But if it doesn't show accident damage, it might be worth considering.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
richri929
Advanced

Well actually i live less than 5 minutes away from the dealership I just don't want to waiste my time because their staff has a reputation for being a bit too aggressive.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
richri929
Advanced

just out of curiosity whats wrong with the dash?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by richri929
May I humbly suggest that you ask Amazon.com to send you a copy of my book (my signature), it sounds like you might be in need of a crash course on 911s! After you've done that, re-visit the pictures, enlarge the one of the dash (with the steering wheel over in the left corner), and examine the dash. That is classic leather shrinkage/failure, and is discussed on page 13 of the book.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well actually i live less than 5 minutes away from the dealership I just don't want to waiste my time because their staff has a reputation for being a bit too aggressive.

Rich,

Although I would not let their aggressive sales tactics put you off, any potential candidate MUST get a thorough PPI from Mike Jordan @ Stuttgart Autotech in LO. Thats where I send those jobs.

JMHO, of course,......
Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

There are a few swelled places on the dash, (close to the windscreen, far right hand corner) but you can really see it around the center vent...way out of wahack.

Nice looking car at 161,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Hell, it would be fun to go down and spar with the sales staff just for kicks. Let them be aggressive.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm like you ed - my wife thinks I'm sick... When I asked the last sales dude if that was a lame attempt at a trial close I thought her jaw was going to drop on the ground - good times...

While that car seems to have a few "issues" I have seen alot worse (in pictures anyway) for alot more $$

I would follow Steve's advice - Actually I'd go and drive the car - go look at it in person - Pictures and person - not always the same. If you like it - negotiate on a price contingent on a PPI - go low in this economy. When you get a list of items from the PPI - go in and try and chisel the price down a little more. may the force be with you.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know I'm gettin on a plain in a fiew hours so this may be my last post so I'll make it a good one...

Go look and walk out. Then go back the next day and walk out again. Let them have your number and walk out again. every time you do the price will come down. I knocked the price of my car from $23K to $20K out the door this way. Eventually they will see that it isn't emotion that is buying the car and you will gain the upper hand.

I think Ed has the right idea. Let them be aggressive. I'm a salesman of that has no problem putting other salesman into place. You are doing them a favor and taking on that risky car. They should be glad to see you.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
jwasbury
Instructor

Nothing wrong with taking her for a test drive. Looks like a decent example to me (from the pics). The dash and seats only need immediate replacement if you want to return the interior to showroom condition. If you want a decent weekend driver that isn't going to win concours, you can live with a wavy dash and tired seats. The passenger side front fender that is brighter than the driver's side (as noted by Pete Z.) looks to me like it may be just a lighting issue in that showroom...best go check it out in person, especially if its only 5 minutes away. Regardless of how good it looks in person or how well it passes a pre-purchase inspection, if you jump in, do it with some $$ in reserve because it is a 25 yr old car with 161k miles. I say offer 12k and keep 8k in reserve for repairs and upgrades, to make it the 20k car that it eventually must be
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on their horrible reputation.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 PM
gerry100
Pro

Default Investment

Experts like Peter Z and Steve W can comment on the car b ut it's the posture of the dealership that puts my antennae up.

If they want you to look at their cars as investments they are already off base.
This car is not an investment.

At 161K miles this car will definitley need some $, A fun Posche for low$? I doubt it.

But if this is fully evaluated and understood up front and price negotiated accordingly, you can have a lot of fun for the money.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Experts like Peter Z and Steve W can comment on the car b ut it's the posture of the dealership that puts my antennae up.

If they want you to look at their cars as investments they are already off base.
This car is not an investment.

At 161K miles this car will definitley need some $, A fun Posche for low$? I doubt it.

But if this is fully evaluated and understood up front and price negotiated accordingly, you can have a lot of fun for the money.
Sometimes a name change can really help a company's image.

From what I've read about them, how about
Victory Motorcars Northwest?

(bites tongue, again)

Quick Reply: before i go to look at it in person?