Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My new car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new car...

Hi everyone - just wanted to share my excitement and show off my 'new' '87 Targa. I bought her from out of state, by going to Alabama and driving her to Penna. Did a fair amount of lurking and researching (+8 mos) before I widened my search net and finding 'the one' out of state - then I asked some more appropriate questions relative to that kind of a deal, and got some very appreciated help and advice just before pulling the trigger.

My wife and I took off, picked the car up Monday last, and made a sort of odyssey out of it. Her step dad thinks I'm nuts, but it's a happy kind of nuts.

The trip was awesome (blue ridge parkway and skyline drive), and we had our share of mini challenges. Apart from a blown limo reservation and a flight delay, I think we fried the fresh air blower. I also learned how to change an alternator belt. I would not recommend autozone socket wrench sets even in an emergency (ratchet busted). I would also recommend carrying a spare belt (PO stowed one), recognize that a fan nut cover is a cover and not a nut, and get a small box wrench for t he right rear A/C compressor bolt since I couldn't get a socket on it. (mine was 1/2 inch, not 14 mm!?)

if I can get the picture uploaded, or even if I can't, I will later, and I will add some more schtuff.

For all the people here who helped me directly and indirectly - I thank you, and for those who are still thinking about it, and for everybody else - this is it!!

I will be coming back to ask some questions 'cause I need to fix some stuff.
Many thanks to ked for all of his helpful input from the time I asked for a ppi - all the way to getting home. I owe him a beer.

Dan

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking car.
Great color too ;-)

Welcome
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

WOO HOO!! That is a beauty. Congratulations. I share your enthusiasm. I live in Ohio and bought mine in Georgia. I got to do a roadtrip too and it made getting the car that much better. I recently returned from the very area you went through. Great place.

Sorry to hear about the extra "adventures" you had along the way. But welcome to the world of 20 year old Porsches!! It truly is worth it.

Fantastic car you got. And you will be stupidly happy that you got a Targa. I was out in my Cabriolet today thanking my lucky stars that I had that car.

How about another road trip with a Cabriolet chasing you? I'm eager to return to North Carolina).
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Steely
Instructor

Ian - thanks, I'm lovin' it even more by the minute.

Shannon - you got a deal on the drive. I love it with the top down, and i love to hear about the road trips people took - very reassuring. And NC around Asheville was so nice, I wish we could've stayed longer and lived in the mountains.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

....and our new friend Vrooooomgirl just went to Texas and took the car back to Alabama???

I'm in California and my car was at Ohio State University for it's first 18 years. Welcome and enjoy.

P.S. you may find a tool kit in front of the dougnut.....
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS THAT VENEZIANBLAU METALLIC???

congrats mate...enjoy!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Steely
Instructor

JV911 - Ja, das ist VENIZIANBLAU baby!!!! Thanks

Doug - Oh I had the tool kit alright, I was just panicking about the repair 850 mi from home with the CFO (wife/navigator) and a time schedule. The tool kit didn't include a 1/2 in open end (to match compressor hardware / not stock?), annnnd the 24mm fan nut (wrench on hand) looked bigger 'cause I thought the fan nut cover was a larger nut (ahem). Plus, the rest of the accessible compressor bolts were easier to remove with a socket wrench set. Suckers were too tough for the small open end 14mm kit wrench - I needed the leverage.
Hey, nice color BTW.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Awesome looking car.

PS. I wouldn't worry about the compressor or the fresh air blower. Both do nothing.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Steely
Instructor

Thanks neri - am researching the wonderful climate control system now - and reaching that conclusion.

It was a hoot driving back, just after the fan belt fun, we were takin what the ac was givin and began to smell something burning. My poor navigator did an excellent job (shutdown). It was effin hot and we pulled over to assess, and I swear to you know who, it immediately starts to rain (closed windows = sauna) - what a trooper she is.

but you know, I'm still happy (and awake at 2 am)
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Congratulations!! Love the photo of your gorgeous car in the mountains! What a great trip, and a great story! Except for the broken stuff parts.

As somebody else noted my hubby and I traveled from Alabama to TX (Houston) to pick up my carj - gosh was it just last weekend? Wow. And because of my work sched, had to cram the return trip into a weekend. Thank heavens we had none of the issues you did - that would have ended in some doggone ugly-faced cryin from me and a plea for heyyyy-ulp (that's "help" for any non-Southern-speakers). As it was, we made the best of it, droppig down to the Gulf Coast & enjoying some awesome back roads & coastal views.

Can't wait to see many more of your pictures! Video is always fun, too!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Steely
Instructor

vroomgrrl I luv you. I saw your awesome video already doll. You are my new hero. Yer bud in Texas did so right by you, not that I got burned, but I think my car just did NOT want to leave Dixie! and I can't blame her.
I will post some pics, but we're not in your league as far as movie production.

Thanks so much.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Steely
Instructor

Default some more detail

Can't sleep tonight from excitement of just getting home and getting my fix of this forum, so maybe I'll elaborate.
My wife & I left early for the airport limo pickup point, only to find they lost our limo reservation - so her 80 yo dad came to the rescue and drove us thru rush hr in Philly traffic with minutes to spare. We split for DC by air, only to find they delayed the flight something like 4 hrs - I call the PO and explain, no prob.

We arrive in Huntsville, AL, start melting from the heat, and go over the car and complete the deal. He offers to lead us away from the airport to the hiway ramp we want (towards Atlanta, GA to see her Bro 190 miles away), but he flew at 90+ mph with a noobie in tow in a new car in a strange land. We catch up, bid farewell, and book to Atlanta arriving at 10 pm, happy but weary.

The next day we show off the car in the daylight, but I discover the belt issue <groan> - not what I wanted in Georgia heat - so we delay our visit and schedule for a day while I try to salvage the situation before my ability gets questioned and lurk rennlist w/o my password (LOL). We did get a visit in to the ATL Aquarium (4 stars). I score some tools and claim success Wed morn 10AM, so we relax and split for home via the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. On the trip, we smell something burning - I think it's the 20yr old A/C fan, dying just as we get to the lovely Biltmore Estate in suthern NC.

After that, it was all uphill - to the mountains, and Asheville. After staying at a B&B, and feeling better that the fan belt issue was corrected adequately, we bypassed some construction and enter the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was beautiful. We made it to Roanoke, VA and stayed over, resuming our trek along the parkway - and made the transition to the Skyline Drive (Fed park = $15). We exited at Front Royal, and passed thru W Va., MD, and into PA near Gettysburg on our way to Lancaster and ultimately Montgomery County NE of Philly. We debated about staying 'cause it was night time, but we wanted to sleep in out own bed at this point.

The car handled very well and sounded terrific - I had a grin most of the time thru the twisties in the mountains. We were surprised too by the strangers who would comment on the car at the overlooks or gas points - not all but enough so and we weren't expecting that. Little rain here and there so I watched it since I haven't had DE and I read about losing the rear etc. Once I run the numbers, I'll have a good idea of the mileage - it was interesting to note the gas prices seem to drop as each day went by and we went further north btw.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Steely
Instructor

Default Pics

I hope this isn't too many

belt in question

Biltmore mansion garden

grandfather mountain from blowing rock, NC

details

wild cows

Ed Mabry's mill

critters

don't get too close

flat headed dutchman
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Beaut!!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Doyle
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful Targa

I like the aluminum finish Fuch center caps.

John

Quick Reply: My new car...