Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need info on brake Master Cylincer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I didn't reseal the calipers, as they appeared to be ok. And the car stops as if the calipers are hitting evenly - it doesn't pull at all. But I suppose like all the other rubber parts on my car... they are probably due for replacement soon.
I'm using OE style pads (Jurid, I think). Might need something else. I'll probably burn them up at the track anyways... so what should I get to replace them? I don't plan to do many track events, but I drive some seriously twisty hilly roads and brakes are important here.
There is really a fine line between working OK and needing a reseal. We found on customer cars that the first caliper problems usually showed up at a DE or slalom type event. The trauma of being subjected to high stress and, in most cases, inadequate cooling can take its toll. Your car is 20+ years old, so you probably should put calipers on your to-do list...

Jurids used to be a pad of choice (I always liked them for aggressive street use) , but I've read recently that they don't seem to be in favor these days. I used Porterfield pads in my race car, but they would be lousy for a street application (poor cold performance and very noisy). Pagid pads were also a favorite of mine, maybe others will offer their recent experiences... I have a set of "BHP" pads in my SC now, for testing, and I like them. They're a little noisy, but very positive. Not sure who carries them - try "Stable Energies".
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although mine are on 930 calipers, I really like my Ferodo DS-2500 pads that were recommended by another "real pro" on this site. I won't name names, but Rennsport Systems carries them

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KC911
...I really like my Ferodo DS-2500 pads
Keith
'88 CE coupe
Thank you, sir! Ferodo, that's the name that I skipped a beat on - I loved them in my E/P car, but didn't use them much on the street...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Hawk blues for the track. Performance Friction's PFC97's and PFC101's are popular track pads too. Pagid Orange, black and blues as well. I just use OEM pads for the street because I don't drive to the point of needing anything more than that on the street. Using track pads on the street is totally unnecessary. I used to like the Ferodo street/performance pads, but can't find them anymore.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

If your brakes can lock your wheels up...ya can't get more braking power imo. Everything else is just "feel" and "heat management" (i.e. preventing brake fade).
That's an interesting point. My brakes do lock up rather easily and quickly (just right, I'd say). Maybe I've become accustomed to ABS brakes. Though I drove non-ABS cars for 20yrs and ABS for only the last few.

I "upgraded" to 930 calipers (w/ a 23 mm m/c), and it totally changed the way my brakes "feel
Well Pete Z says it's possible my 20yr old calipers will give up in a couple of weeks during my first track event. So rather than rebuild, perhaps I will start looking for 930 upgrades. Where'd you get yours?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Thank for the pad recommendations. I went with OE pads because I wasn't planning to go to the track. I wanted good cold performance rather than resistance to fade. I'll probably regret that at Mid Ohio in a couple of weeks!

I don't care about dust or chewing up rotors. I figure any money I spend on replacing rotors is more than justified by the one time my brakes save me from crashing.

I won't be on the track much, so I don't think I need resistance to fade as much as I need good bite.

I'll check into the ones y'all suggested.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911vet
...So rather than rebuild, perhaps I will start looking for 930 upgrades. Where'd you get yours?
Don't go down that $lippery $lope ! I did it "just because I could", and was part of a total "get intimate with my 911" while learning all I could doing a whole bunch of stuff after I acquired my "baby". I would suggest simply rebuilding your Carrera brakes. I sourced mine from Steve Weiner (Rennsport Systems), but he certainly didn't try to sell me something I didn't need, I did it on my own volition, but it's overkill. I painted these with the two part (very durable) caliper paint that has held up very well after several years (but this is a picture from back when):

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Need info on brake Master Cylincer replacement