Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I never knew I had the foresight.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default I never knew I had the foresight.....

.....to build the "perfect" SoCal car. She started out with me over 6 years ago in Texas as a forelorn, cosmetically-challenged, but mechanically solid '84 Targa. I wasn't looking for a Targa, but the PO kept lowering the price-I hadn't found another 911 I liked, and I couldn't refuse.

Over the span I've owned her, I got into track days in Texas. The tracks were plentiful, the PCA region was an enabler, and I had fun making Ruby what she is today. My goal was to make her a fun track car that I could drive to and fro, and on weekends. I took her in and treated her to a pretty nice paint job, but everything else has been my doing:

Elephant Racing Polybronze bushings and monoballs front and rear.

22/29mm solid torsion bars.

Bilstein HD's all around.

I've lowered her twice, once to "Euro" height, and again to where she is today. Very low now-any more and it would be an issue on the street.

A "performance" alignment with some focus on negative camber and a good mix of turn-in/straight-line settings for toe.

A couple of different tails, I stayed with the Duck-gotta love the weight savings.

Elephant triangulated strut brace up front.

A/C removal, and lightened interior(Perlon carpet, RS panels)-she weighed 2650lbs with the rollbar, 1/2 tank of gas and myself.

993 four piston calipers all around, 32 X 309mm discs up front, with cooling ducts and 23mm master cylinder.

R compound tires full time (MPSC's) after trying no less than 3 other sets of "premium" street tires and sets of wheels.

B&B Headers, Flowmaster muffler with "twice pipes".

A re-mapped chip (a couple of times-thanks Steve!).

Recaro SRD seats-probably soon to be Pole Positions.

Rollbar/5 point harnesses.

A fresh engine with modded cams, bullet-proof valve train and some other upgrades such as headstuds, rod bolts, etc. Did I mention I built it?

Throw in all of the other tweaks, such as Optima battery, Momo shift ****, 930S wheel, new alternator, hi-torque(lightweight) starter, S/S brake lines, powdercoating, etc, and I've probably got $35-40K in her. I've got every receipt, but I'll never add them up.

I ran up Palomar Mtn early this morning. I beat everyone else (save one Ferrari 308 I saw coming down) to the punch, and had the mountain to myself. The steep/tight South Grade Rd. going up is AWESOME. Then, after summitting, going down the higher speed East Grade Rd. with the longer straights and sweeping turns, then a run thru Pauma Valley, up to Temecula, and back home by 8:30am. 110 miles overall.

I've had a couple of runs up Palomar prior to this, with mostly 996's and some 997 Turbos, and I think I pretty much showed them that an 80's Carrera setup well, and driven well, is nothing to sneer at. But, it seemed I was always looking at what they cars around me looked like, thinking I need to upgrade and making sure I wasn't embarrassed in my driving.

While on this 120 mile circuit by myself today, I had the revelation that I'd built the perfect car for these SoCal mountains. I'm still going to probably get a boulevard cruiser P-car with a bit more comfort and A/C that my wife will actually enjoy riding in to round out the stable, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to improve on the raw driving experience and pleasure I get from my lovely Ruby.

She is soon, after I get her new wheels, going to get revalved Bilsteins and some new bits for increased camber up front, as well as raised front spindles, so it is also nice to know the fun will continue.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Ed Hughes; 08-03-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added Torsion Bars
Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Ed!!!
And what a good job.
You are an inspiration to me to get mine done.

And she looks so beautiful too
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and a purty targe she is.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Well done.

Are you getting Fuchs?

The next step is to bring that thing out to Willow Springs.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:59 PM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like those mesh wheels, they're period perfect. Bob
Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed, you are a sick, sick man!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Well done.

Are you getting Fuchs?

The next step is to bring that thing out to Willow Springs.
I'm waiting for Jeff Alton to release his new 17" 3 pc "Fuchs". I've been at the front of the line for a year now, and we should have good news any day now. Then she's going to see Jae Lee for the next level of suspension tweaks. I've exhausted my skills.

I was looking at the calendar last night, trying to find a track weekend to christen her out here in Calif. It was so simple in TX; we had 6 or more DE's each year at our several tracks. Out here, there is much more "competition" in groups running track days. I'm thinking POC with their TT and STS series may be my best bet. As such, there are a couple of events in November, and the SD region of PCA has an event at Buttonwillow late November. I've got a lot of travel booked already thru Oct, so I'm shooting for Nov.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Hey Ed, great fun reading your post about cruising the CA mountains. I'm on the verge of replacing my original Boge shocks as the front end is getting a bit unnerving as I learn to push my car to the limits up in the mountains here in NorCal. Why are you going from normal bilsteins to revalved bilsteins, is that a change for the track or for the fun twisties up in SoCal hills? What would you recommend for a car that only does duty up on the mountain roads with no hard core track time?

thanks
ant
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Awesome revelation, Ed! I've done some 5am Sunday blasts myself & there's nothing like being "that guy" out there.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

That was a nice story. So while I will be sitting at my 84 year old mothers house today I can day dream on Eds tell of mountain conquest and pretend to listen to her. Ahhhhh "twisties", a weekend road racers snack cake.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:50 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Good for you Ed - I'm right behind you in line - the only thing better than your car on the california roads would be if it was a convertible.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Well done Ed.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antony.
Hey Ed, great fun reading your post about cruising the CA mountains. I'm on the verge of replacing my original Boge shocks as the front end is getting a bit unnerving as I learn to push my car to the limits up in the mountains here in NorCal. Why are you going from normal bilsteins to revalved bilsteins, is that a change for the track or for the fun twisties up in SoCal hills? What would you recommend for a car that only does duty up on the mountain roads with no hard core track time?

thanks
ant
Actually, the need for revalve is twofold. First, the damping, even with the HD's doesn't match the spring rate I've got now. I went to 22/29mm t-bars a couple of years ago, I think I forgot to put them on the list above. The other issue is that with the car a good 1 1/2" lower, I'm working them out of the zone that Bilstein designed, so that needs to be adjusted.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Good for you Ed - I'm right behind you in line - the only thing better than your car on the california roads would be if it was a convertible.
Jeremy, does it count as a Semi-Cab?

I forgot to add that the open top is one of the other reasons it makes a great SoCal car. The Texas weather was a bit too harsh.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Rice
Instructor

Ed,

Your car is the best looking targa I have ever seen. Great job!

Quick Reply: I never knew I had the foresight.....