Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera Brake Line Upgrade Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Carrera Brake Line Upgrade Info Needed

I'm replacing my brakes on my 87 911 carrera with a wide body kit. While removing my calipers I broke most of the copper lines going to the calipers as they were very old and frozen. I'm thinking that I'd like to replace the copper lines and the rubber line with braided lines. Most of my experience is with race cars where I'd normally make up my own but, I'm hoping there are kits available to do that. Most of the kits I've seen only account for the rubber hoses but not for the section of copper tube at the caliper. Anyone have any advice on the replacement of the lines...good thing...not good thing...or a company or kit?

Thanks

Doug
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried Pelicanparts.com? If they don't have the hard lines, how about the Porsche parts counter?

Brett
Old 07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

Do I want to keep the hard lines or just ditch them as well?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

When I "upgraded" to 930 calipers, I was able to source the fronts (from Pelican, around $12 IIRC, but it's been a while), but had to bend my own for the rears (as there are no OEM parts that "fit" a conversion. You can find the 12" (and other assorted lengths) metric hard lines with proper flares and fittings at most decent auto parts if you wanted to go that route. I replaced the rubber lines with the braided versions (inspect/replace them accordingly), but many will recommend using the rubber ones as being safer, pros & cons each way imo.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-07-2008, 03:32 PM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

Alright...here is where I'm at. I've gone with Zimmerman Rotors, BHP Pads, new braided steel lines and new solid lines at the wheels.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

So back to your original question... Where were you able to source the hard lines?

Brett
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

I got them from Pelican Parts no problem. There site was really easy to work and find the correct parts. I will say, their shipping process is very slow.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Just curious, but what are/were your expectations regarding shipping times, and where do you live? It's only been a week since you inquired here, so assuming you placed your order last Thur/Fri that doesn't seem too bad from my perspective. I always go the "economical" route on shipping rates (from whoever I order from), and parts seem to make it all the way across the country in a "reasonable" time frame from my perspective. Glad you're all set on the lines however...good job!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

I'm in New York and ordered the parts that day...about a week ago. They've arrived as of yesterday which was about a week and I chose the free/ground shipping and had no major expectations.

Having said that I've run a racing team for over 10 years and order a lot of parts from all over the country, all different kinds of companies. its rare for a ground shipment to take more than a couple days to arrive. The week that theirs took was definitely longer than average i'm used to seeing. The best being McMaster Carr which is like magic and the worst being NorthernTool who must have loaded trucks sitting and waiting a week before they let it leave their facility to age just right.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

OK, so you're one of those impatient New Yorkers us laid back southerners hear about ...just kidding of course. Seriously though, it would seem that "timing" might be part of the issue here, but I read you loud an clear on your history of ordering parts, etc. I'm not really defending Pelican (although I use them, and have been very pleased over the years) but it would seem that your order would have been processed by Pelican last Friday (not knowing where the lines were actually shipped from i.e. their warehouse, or direct from the source), but if by chance they didn't get picked up for shipment on Fri, then they would have gone out on Monday, and going accross the country, that doesn't seem too bad from my perspective. One other thing, did you order from their website, or phone? If I were in a hurry, I'd have probably called and ordered from a person even though I would still have opted for the cheapest shipping alternative. Wayne Dempsey (Pelican founder & CEO) prides himself on their customer service, and efficiency, and I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing from you regarding your concerns (if you wanted to) and I know you'd get the "straight scoop" from him. Have a great weekend!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
CrazyCoolCars
Track Day

I think I've been a little misunderstood. I loved their site, the parts came accurately and great quality. I just thought the process was a little slow when using either the free shipping or ground. It was just an observation more than a complaint.

Yes... when we race down south we have quite a laugh while sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting for the waitress... LOL Life is definitely much slower down there.

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera Brake Line Upgrade Info Needed