Hi !....and brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Carlos Fandango
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi !....and brakes ?

Hi All,
Have been a lurker for some time and this is my first post on Rennlist having just bought a 1987 3.2 Carrera.
I am delighted with the car and am wondering why it took me so long to join the 911 fraternity. But here I am on my first post asking for help.
I am really unhappy with the travel on the brake pedal before some resistance is felt. I have pressure-bled the fluid and tried adjusting the bar but this just changes the pedal position and doesn't effect when the pressure starts.
Are there any tech experts that could give some pointers.

Carlos
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.........You must post a pic ....its rennlist law

my first question is did you get a ppi, if everything checked ok then there is most likely nothing wrong. There are many things on these cars that can be refered to as "charactor". Now I wouldn't fool with the adjusting rod for the brake pedal, if you go to DE, the brakes will feel different as they heat up, and the pedal will drop on its own. I found this out the hard way. Now did the PO tell you what kind of brake pads are on it ....this can effect the pedal "feel". After that it gets into mechanical stuff like a stuck caliper, which should cause the car to "pull" one way or the other. Vacuum, thogh I have never heard chatter of that failing.

I you are the mechanical type.....these are no problem to fix, If not then maybe a rennlist, or local club member can assist........

good luck and enjoy

Brad
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Carlos:
How many miles have you driven the car?
Have you stopped at a repair shop and asked them to drive the car?
How many miles are on the car?
How did the PO use the car - commuter?, toy?, weekends only?
Do you have service records?

There might be something wrong, but there might be nothing wrong. It's been said that it takes about 2-weeks to get used to a 911, after that every other car on the road feels downright weird.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Carlos:
How many miles have you driven the car?
Have you stopped at a repair shop and asked them to drive the car?
How many miles are on the car?
How did the PO use the car - commuter?, toy?, weekends only?
Do you have service records?

There might be something wrong, but there might be nothing wrong. It's been said that it takes about 2-weeks to get used to a 911, after that every other car on the road feels downright weird.
HIJACK to tell you how much I'm enjoying your book! Great resource, great read, pretty pictures. I read it the week I was purchasing my first Porsche long distance, and it really helped me get my head around lots of things I needed to be aware of. Loving my new ride!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomGrrl
HIJACK to tell you how much I'm enjoying your book! Great resource, great read, pretty pictures. I read it the week I was purchasing my first Porsche long distance, and it really helped me get my head around lots of things I needed to be aware of. Loving my new ride!
VROOM: Thank you! Best hijack I've read in a while! I've been tracking your posts, and pictures, and have been enjoying the process with you. I'm delighted to have played some part in your P-car 101A class, and that your new toy is tucked away safely in your garage. Best Regards...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
VROOM: Thank you! Best hijack I've read in a while! I've been tracking your posts, and pictures, and have been enjoying the process with you. I'm delighted to have played some part in your P-car 101A class, and that your new toy is tucked away safely in your garage. Best Regards...
No, thank YOU! I would have sent these msgs by PM but I don't see that function available when I click your name. Hence the hijack! I'm re-reading your book now (I confess I didn't read it straight thru last week, just the parts I needed for what I was doign at the time...). Lots of great Porsche reading material out there and I'm soaking up as much as I can.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos Fandango
Hi All,
Have been a lurker for some time and this is my first post on Rennlist having just bought a 1987 3.2 Carrera.
I am delighted with the car and am wondering why it took me so long to join the 911 fraternity. But here I am on my first post asking for help.
I am really unhappy with the travel on the brake pedal before some resistance is felt. I have pressure-bled the fluid and tried adjusting the bar but this just changes the pedal position and doesn't effect when the pressure starts.
Are there any tech experts that could give some pointers.

Carlos
That car, with good pads and rotors should stop very well, with a firm pedal.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 AM
Carlos Fandango
2nd Gear

There is nothing wrong with the way the car stops and I know there is always some play in the pedal, but I can't accept that 2" of pedal travel before the master cylinder rod starts to move and the pads 'come in' was the design brief.
I guess pads are less than half worn and I have aftermarket drilled discs up front - all of which could contribute to the dead pedal. The PO was not the sort of guy to mess-up with brake choice.
I'll have a chance to try some other cars' pedals at the weekend to compare.
thanks all.
Carlos

Quick Reply: Hi !....and brakes ?