Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hey Guys I am having an issue and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys I am having an issue and need some help

Hey all, So a few months ago i bought my car and after a week of owning it i was at stop sign and some moron rear ended me, breaking my license plate light + damaging the rubber bumperette. It turns out that i knew the guy that hit me so i decided not to call the police. He assured me that he would get it taken care of, gave me his number and we were on our way. Now a month later and a bunch of promises i still have not received a part that is acceptable. He keeps trying to cheap out and get some junk from a Cali junkyard that is all faded and sun damaged. I really cannot wait any longer and am willing to buy one. So if anyone has one for the drivers side that is in good condition that still has texture i would like to buy it. The car is at the body shop getting touched up and i would like to get it as soon as possible so i can install it before the bumper gets put back on. I really would not like to spend $430 for a new one so if anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks a lot. -Alex

Last edited by Germancar90; 07-22-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

What part is this? Are you talking about the big black rubber block that sits at the end of the bumper? If so it is called a bumperette. They can be found from time to time on the pelican classifieds or you can try calling around to a dismantler. As for the licence plate light you best just get a new one, I think they are about $20.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

Yes thats it bumperette i couldnt remember the name thank you for the advice. I planned on buying a new light just not the bumperette
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Germancar90, what model/year is your car? The bumperettes for the 78-83 911SC and the 84-89 Carerra's are different. They look the same, but are different. You need to get the part number off the back of the damaged one and look for one with the same Part number. There are some advertised as fitting 78-89 911's but that is wrong. They are model years specific, as you should be when looking for one.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

Really? I was not aware of that thank you my car is an 86 carrera coupe
Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Why should you settle? your car was rear ended. Make sure it's replaced with a part that is as good or better than what was on the car! You should not have to spend a dime.

You can see the 84-89 are differant here on the pelican site.
PelicanParts
Old 07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Call Parts Heaven or DCAuto, they'll have some used ones in good shape for cheap. www.partsheaven.com or www.DCAuto.com I usually use DCAuto and I am happy with their service. Good guys.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Ordered thanks Oshin!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Another little tip while you're in there. Over time those bumperettes fail,--internally. The molding of these things is basically some rubber-like material with some steel internal structure. 90% of the time the molding process is lousy,--resulting in voids. You will see them on the inside (an area once mounted you will never see). HOWEVER, the elements can get to those areas. Suggest you seal up the exposed steel parts with something like GE silicon or RTV or a flexible sealant so that the elements can't get inside and start doing damage. (Actually, I recommend this to anyone with that era 911 who happens to be pulling their rear bumpers off).

Being as these things are no longer available as a spare part from Porsche you must either go aftermarket or head to a junk yard. At least seal up what you find so that further damage doesn't occur.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

Thank you i was planning on doing this because the bumperette that actually got hit was starting to fail. It was rusting from behind causing the bottom to sag.

Quick Reply: Hey Guys I am having an issue and need some help