Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Spark plug wires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:45 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

You could test the resistance value of each wire with an ohm meter. I don't know what the proper value is but someone on this board might know. If one is significantly different from the others that could point to a problem. I had a miss at idle and traced it to a corroded connector at the distributor cap. The wire itself was ok. I cleaned it which solved the problem temporarily but I do plan to replace the wire set in the near future as it is almost 20 years old.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

even a wire cap off the plug by a quarter inch (sorry about the metric conversion on that???) can impact performance but still fire.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
even a wire cap off the plug by a quarter inch (sorry about the metric conversion on that???) can impact performance but still fire.
Yes yes, I know what a quarter inch is. I know what a mile is, I know what a pound is, I know what a ft-lbs is, I know what a horsepower is, I know what a ton is, I know what a slug is, I know what a .....etc.

I think I might take a trip down to Winnipeg tomorrow and see if I can get someone to do the CO thing for me.

Honestly the car drives fine but it just feels like it's not doing as nice as it use to. Hard to describe.

Thanks for all the help guys an gals,
-matt
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open up your deck lid in a dark garage while the engine is running and see if you see an arc'ing "light show". That should be a decent indication imo...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Okay,

So I called a recommended mechanic in the nearby city. He said it probably wasn't the mixture because somehow the O2 sensor would adjust the mixture if it was out of range and at full throttle it's a moot point because at that point it is just full rich. He also said it wasn't the plugs because if it was I would be feeling a miss. This I am not to sure about because I have replaced wires on other cars and felt an improvement.

Could it just be my imagination? Would changing the plugs make a difference? What kind should I get?

As for checking for a 'light show'...well I don't have a garage here and on week days I am normally in bed before it is dark out. I have long days and have to be up early but I will try perhaps Saturday night when I don't have to get up the next morning.

-matt

Last edited by old man neri; 07-18-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Personally, brother to brother, I think it is the airplane messing with your head. I think if you had say a chevy astro as your "other car" you would find the 911 to be doing just fine. Just 'cause the new plane can go light speed, don't mean everything can. Just one guys outside view.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Personally, brother to brother, I think it is the airplane messing with your head. I think if you had say a chevy astro as your "other car" you would find the 911 to be doing just fine. Just 'cause the new plane can go light speed, don't mean everything can. Just one guys outside view.
I just don't seem to pull away from other cars like I use to, that's all.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Carrera?
clogged cat
clogged fuel injectors
intake manifold air leak
octane/altitude
head temp sensor
cap/rotor/plugs
valve adjustment
clogged air filter
AFM/MAF(?)

the list goes on and on.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OE wires are pretty robust.

I would check that they are all completely seated ( the #6 is tough to reach and may b ethe first to suspect.)

Push them all until you hear a click.

If you decide you need new wires. The 8mm are not needed ( except maybe for extreme hi temp racing) even if they look better.

The plugs won't know.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
gerry100
Pro

TT oversteer-

I just read your post again. You may just be a acclimated to the liveliness of the 911.

Every fast car I ever had was fastest when I first got it.

Acceleration is an expensive and addictive drug.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Alright,

So I replaced the spark plugs themselves and ran some seafoam. It seems to have made a difference, the biggest difference came from the plugs. The electrodes were nice and clean but there was carbon all over the base. Also there was rust on the outside of the plugs. In any case the engine is a lot smoother now.

-matt
Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
sig_a
Pro

Before you waste your money on fancy ignition wires, test and clean the ones you have. If Beru, you can remove the terminal ends to inspect and test individually. And before you put them back together, use plenty of dielectric grease from Dow Chemical or Permatex.

Also, your engine sluggishness may be caused by worn out electronic fuel injectors. They can be cleaned, rebuilt or replaced.

ALso, buy a Bentley Service Manual to save money.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Good job Matt, sometimes they just want some attention.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been changing my plugs, dist. cap and rotor every other oil change (oil change=3K mileslove having that fresh copper in there). Plug wires (Berus) are cleaned then, as well. I can ALWAYS feel a difference when the changeout happens...

Been considering removing the injectors and having 'em cleaned.

Glad it feels better for ya, Matt....was certain it wasn't the plane at all.

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Ya, I am running a can of seafoam through the tank. Hopefully it will clean the injectors a little.

Doyle, how do you clean the wires?
-matt

Quick Reply: Spark plug wires.