Quick rear strut recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
ScottC
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Quick rear strut recommendation

[I believe I meant to say rear shock and not strut]

I've got a '78 Targa with upgraded 22/28 torsion bars and Euro height and I do occasional motocross and DE events. I've searched the forums and heard good things about Bilstein HD and Koni, but some of the posts mentioned torsion bars and ride height as considerations. I'm also on a budget and the Bilsteins are pretty high. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for me. TIA.

Last edited by ScottC; 07-17-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: clueless?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

just go right to the source. www.rennsportsystems.com Steve W. is far and away the best vendor we have. His price includes advice. (hey that was good)
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Good advice. Steve is good.

I know you said nothing about racing but there is a saying that fits somewhat.

"Which did you think was the cheap part? The Porsche part or the racing part?"
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

*Just a side note here

*Don't get me wrong and lead you to believe Steve is higher priced than his competition. What I ment was that you can find Bilstein HD's for $10.00 less online, but that is all you get. Buy a part from Steve, and you get a lifetime of experience, current race knowledge, and some really funny stories. Let's say you found his competator's site and saved 5%, is that money in your pocket going to do you any good when you are under the car and need advice? If you are on Steve's customer list, he is always there. Am I wrong?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And, Scott, I might offer that you have a bit of a conundrum. Targa tubs didn't get the benefit of Cabriolet chassis stiffness until 1981, so you have to be prepared for even more cowl shake than you already have. The increased T-bar size will definitely firm up the suspension, and with that setup I think the Bilstein Sport shocks might normally be ideal, but on a '78 Targa I think that you're better off with Bilstein HD shocks. You get to a certain development point with your model and all of a sudden the front and back ends of the car are no longer working together in a corner, they're fighting each other trying to do their own thing. It's a very difficult decision, and compromise is a bigger part of it than on a later car, or a coupe.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
ScottC
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone. Bummer on the chassis stiffening, particularly given that I've got rust issues, but that's for another thread.

I continue to hear good things about the HD Bilstein. Is there anything comparable or perhaps even a step down that might save me a few coins?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Pete's recommendation for HD's, not Sports. I also have an SC, a 1981, and I made the mistake of ordering Sports from Pelican when I had no idea what I was doing. I just knew my old shocks needed to be replaced. The ride, to me, was terribly uncomfortable. I bought HD's after 1000 miles for the fronts and it is perfect in the front now. The rear of the car has more weight, so the Sports back there are tolerable, but if I had my druthers I would have HD's in all four corners.

I have only stock torsion bars in my car. Steve has told me on the phone that his preference is HD's in the front and Sports in the back.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottC

I continue to hear good things about the HD Bilstein. Is there anything comparable or perhaps even a step down that might save me a few coins?
shox.com seems to have them for about 450-480 for all 4 which is not bad for 4 shocks I think. I have never ordered from them nor do I know anyone who has but they do seem to have good prices.

-matt

Quick Reply: Quick rear strut recommendation