Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Carrera oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I'd check to see if the fan works hooked up to your battery...could be the thermostat controlled widget is not working.
I cut the wires off the thermostat and relay wired the fan to a cabin switch....it really works.
Today was 108 degrees and I cruised around town maxing at 220...lots of folks are 3/4 up the scale in this heat without the rad/fan unit.
It actually lowers the overall temp when sitting at a stop light.
I believe the thermostat came on way late temp wise anyways.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pojefferson
this is an awesome idea. I have a 88 Carrera and am dealing with higher oil temps; presumably from my very recent engine upgrade (3.4L w/ twin ignition). Did you have to pull out the oil cooler to do this?
I put in a wire jumper that wasn't but 3 inches of wire. From inside the trunk I unplugged the two wire connector that goes to the sensor and just bypassed the sensor altogether. Turning on the key turns on the fan. ....so ya, it comes on early.

...and yes, douglas bray = amber lamps
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I put in a wire jumper that wasn't but 3 inches of wire. From inside the trunk I unplugged the two wire connector that goes to the sensor and just bypassed the sensor altogether. Turning on the key turns on the fan. ....so ya, it comes on early.

where inside the trunk is this 2-wire connector? do you have a picture?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
I'd check to see if the fan works hooked up to your battery...could be the thermostat controlled widget is not working.
I cut the wires off the thermostat and relay wired the fan to a cabin switch....it really works.
Today was 108 degrees and I cruised around town maxing at 220...lots of folks are 3/4 up the scale in this heat without the rad/fan unit.
It actually lowers the overall temp when sitting at a stop light.
I believe the thermostat came on way late temp wise anyways.
I agree. I believe my fan is not working. It is not the fuse. It is not the relay. I think is is the switch that controls the fan. I'm trying to figure out how to get at that [the switch that controls the fan] it to replace it. My theory is that hooking a manual switch in the car to a faulty switch on the fan will not work.

Am I incorrect on how this thing works?

Do I need to pull out (i.e. disconnect) the whole cooler unit to get at the switch?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Do I need to pull out (i.e. disconnect) the whole cooler unit to get at the switch?[/QUOTE]

Get it on a lift. Easy job to reroute. Cut the wire that goes from the in radiator thermostat (top Rad twd front) to the fan. You'll have two wires to the fan motor ..power and ground.
Go to any auto part store and buy a 30 amp relay and run a power line to the fan and a line to a switch you put in the cabin...lots of openings in the firewall.
Ground the gnd wire in the wheel well.
You can test the fan by just running a wire to the pos batt to see if it's good prior to running wires.
I wired mine after installation.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

where inside the trunk is this 2-wire connector? do you have a picture?
It's easy to find. There is a two wire connector (one black, one brown) behind the passenger headlight next to the spare tire. Lift up the carpet and it's in your face. Just unplug it and put in a jumper.

I agree. I believe my fan is not working. It is not the fuse. It is not the relay. I think is is the switch that controls the fan. I'm trying to figure out how to get at that [the switch that controls the fan] it to replace it. My theory is that hooking a manual switch in the car to a faulty switch on the fan will not work.

Do I need to pull out (i.e. disconnect) the whole cooler unit to get at the switch?
Yes, pull the cooler. It's easy. Pull the wheel off and have some big wrenches handy and an oil pan to catch the mess. The brackets and horns are 10mm. Simple stuff. Chances are though that the fan doesn't work because the fan doesn't work. If it is the original fan its decades past it's prime.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

It's easy to find. There is a two wire connector (one black, one brown) behind the passenger headlight next to the spare tire. Lift up the carpet and it's in your face. Just unplug it and put in a jumper.
I found two 2-wire connectors. One with clear-ish/white plastic connectors, one with more sturdy looking black plastic connector. I'll use a meter to see which one goes back to the relay. I also found a diagram that seems useful.

Thanks All!

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The Carrera oil cooler