Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Carrera oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I struck out at Elephant Racing. The $88.00 fan is back ordered for a month. 911Pcar had a used one for $250 and Pelican wanted $517.00

Autoparts Whs. had the OE Bosch fan for $317.95.... What a deal. I'll take it.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

So back to my idea of a generic one and some tie wraps eh?

-matt
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I couldn't find an 8" x 2 1/2" pusher fan or even anything close. This was I get the Bosch part and the Bosch warantee. I am gonna go cheap with the foam perimeter. I have a vendor that sells a foam profile that is almost exacty sthe same shape as the $91.00 Porsche unit. If it last a year then free is a good price. I got the BMW 99degree tempswitch from pelican, but don't think I'm gonna like cutting wires to make it fit. I've gotta go back and do some more reading on it. I'm hoping for a horizontal gauge all the time...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv got a small japanese fan on mine when i got it. but it was a puller and blowing the wrong way. I flipped the fan and reversed the leads and it works great. Did you even test your stock one? Id pull it apart and see whats wrong maby its fixable.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go with the Spal Axial Motor fan...

VA22- AP11/C- 50S (push). Low profile 6 1/2" fan diameter. I also got the fan pigtail/jumper FR-PT.

2.05" overall depth (OEM 2"), 7.24" overall diameter (OEM 6.5"). 4 mounting holes.

It fit perfect. 5000 to 6000 hour life. 325 cfm. 3 year warranty. I used light weight galv. steel and aluminum straps utilizing the existing mounting screws in the oil cooler. The size of the new fan is close to the OEM fan. The install is very stout. I installed mine with the cooler still on the car, so I had more involved time in fabricating it. Since you have the cooler out already, it should be very easy.

I used a manual pull switch from Performance Products (installed at dash, in front of cruise control lever). I also installed an inline fuse and a relay in the circuit. The switch has the ability to be lighted, but I disabled this because it stayed on all the time (I did not run the new circuit through the ignition switch circuit).

I paid ~$91 including shipping for the fan and pigtail. www.spal-usa.com 800-345-0327. It took about 5 days to get.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Tone you are not kidding. That is a great source. The motorcycle fans are perfect. Oh well, the money is already sent. I think I did OK on the Bosch unit at $200 off what Pelican wanted and even more off than that at the dealer.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I removed my ugly rear window wiper, I made use of the console switch to drive the relay to operate my fan manually so I never changed out the temp switch,..I watch my temps like a hawk and will gladly engage the fan when neccessary (which is NOT often)... Also changed out rotting foam around the aux cooler with the factory stuff........she's happy....

Good to get the notes on the sub'd fan (for the future). Thanks Tone40.

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I just want to post a word of advice for mounting the fan onto the cooler. the bracket allows two positions, one an inch higher than the other. Use the lower position or it will not fit behind the headlight. I cleaned everything so well I couldn't tell what went where. All in all a great project. Now I just gotta fire it up.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Since this is my thread and no one else is listening I'm gonna go on and on about how freakin' fun this car is. After 10 days without her, OMG what a blast. A couple times around the block and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Ain't nothin' like octane induced whiplash. Did I say I love my car?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Imagine how BIG that grin would be if you did a DE in it.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Imagine what it was like in the 80s when few cars could top...

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Since this is my thread and no one else is listening I'm gonna go on and on about how freakin' fun this car is. After 10 days without her, OMG what a blast. A couple times around the block and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Ain't nothin' like octane induced whiplash. Did I say I love my car?

..I have a 68 280sl, and 07Targa...but I just love to take the 83SC around the curves and hills. Sometimes, I just drive it for 10-15minutes around the hills where I live just for therapy. Just to think I am 48 and didn't know how to drive a stick till 3months ago.
abe
Old 07-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Grandpa Kennedy use to take us to the Ontario Motor Speedway parking lot and let us drive his 18 wheelers when I was about 10. This car is the only thing that matches the thrill.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, you don't have to go to the trunk to unplug the harness unless you do put in an external switch. On my 88 Carrera, I replaced the 244 degree F factory temperature sending unit with a 99 Degree F one out of a BMW (from Pelican). What I did was make a short wire (3" long) with one end having a spade connector to attach to the new sender and a round one on the other end to attach to the factory wiring. I taped them up securely and reinstalled the oil cooler. What this did is allow the cooler/sending unit to come on automatically at about 210 Degrees F. I don't have to worry about turning on/off the switch. I did this 3 years ago and it has never burped once. I also didn't violate the integrity of the factory wiring. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here in south centerl Texas, it is hot. Today we are to reach 94-96 F.

Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Spider, I purchased the $15.00 BMW switch, but chickened out when I saw two terminals instead of one. I also was chincy and tried to use foam from one of my packaging vendors (miserable failure)....So, I will have to take it all apart again. I'm gonna hold off a fiew weeks until I get back from St. Lucia. Of course I may be under the car tomarrow, who knows...

I will need instructions I can understand when I add the BMW switch.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 PM
pojefferson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Doug, you don't have to go to the trunk to unplug the harness unless you do put in an external switch. On my 88 Carrera, I replaced the 244 degree F factory temperature sending unit with a 99 Degree F one out of a BMW (from Pelican). What I did was make a short wire (3" long) with one end having a spade connector to attach to the new sender and a round one on the other end to attach to the factory wiring. I taped them up securely and reinstalled the oil cooler. What this did is allow the cooler/sending unit to come on automatically at about 210 Degrees F. I don't have to worry about turning on/off the switch. I did this 3 years ago and it has never burped once. I also didn't violate the integrity of the factory wiring. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here in south centerl Texas, it is hot. Today we are to reach 94-96 F.

Good Luck.
this is an awesome idea. I have a 88 Carrera and am dealing with higher oil temps; presumably from my very recent engine upgrade (3.4L w/ twin ignition). Did you have to pull out the oil cooler to do this?

Quick Reply: The Carrera oil cooler