Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is it worth putting 964 cams in a 3.2??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Chip and headers/Flowmaster muff yielded 207HP at the rear wheels. I know it's all relative, but several other 3.2's tested on the same Dyno that day were in the low to mid-180's.

It's not all about how much HP, but what the curve, as well as the Tq curve look like, and drivability.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't do cams unless you do exhaust - don't do exhaust unless you do cams. The return is minimal for the expense.

I think the best bang for the buck is euro premuffler in place of the cat, sport muffler, steve wong chip on the 3.2. Everything else the cost increases in cubic dollars per 1 hp increase.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is about a 20hp differance which is big. I would suspect they were still running cats and stock chip w the California jumper still pluged in. That would add up.

I am not an expert, just like to read a lot.

From the dyno runs I hve seen, I belive the 1.5" SSI's are great, give a bump at 3500rpms, but do not do what a lot think and a cat bypass mostly equals them.

There seems to be a step beond these two set ups.

A set of 1 3/4" headers w a flowmaster is pretty much a full race system and with the right chip togher seems to be another +/-10HP.

I wonder if this is done and the rev range is extended, will modifing the intake prefilter start to have some benifit.

If I was in there anyway I would go to the 964 cams or a bit beond depending on the smog requirements. Somthing like a 3.8RS sport cam and would add a competition valve spring or light weight retainers on top of better rod bolts which are our reputed weakness.

However, I think the stock cams can be setup to do a bit better.

Last week two of us 3.2 owners dynoed our cars togeather. We both have cat bypass & SW chips but he has a Bursh sport muffler & K&N. We are still both thying to get our A/F's just right. We were dead even in HP in the lower range. At 6100rpms he did beat me by 7HP but his A/F was lean and mine was rich.

People in our area report this dyno reads low but I do not see it as we pulled 213 & 219 rwhp. My last run I pulled 217 when running lean.

It is all good. Except for the cat and some consertive suspention settings, Porsche did a pretty good job with the 3.2.

More may be gained in the weight loss area.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

+1 G50-cab.

This puts us in the 255rwhp range but every dyno is different.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
EuroPorsche
AutoX

I done the muffler cut up deal! but I can tell worked on the muffler for a full weekend now it sound pretty good but will not have the deep throaty sound more on the higher side depend what you like.

At one point it sounded like jet engine! just all whistle above 3k that was scarry

Quick Reply: Is it worth putting 964 cams in a 3.2??