Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Do you ever blow fuses?

He All,
Do you periodically blow fuses?
I blew the fuse for my power sunroof and windows last night.
Last fall I blew the fuse for my defrost blower.
Can I chaulk this up to 22 year old fuses?
I've never blown a fuse in any other car unless it was "operator error"
Just curious if we all blow once in a while :-)
Thanks
Rod
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's only a couple bucks for a new set at Pelican or Performance. I keep a new set still in the shrinkwrap in the clove box.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My '82 has never blown a fuse, but I went through the terminals, cleaned away any small corroded areas, and replaced a few fuses that were not the correct amperage (this was done in '02).
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have blown the fuse for the blower motors (just had them fixed and then they've stopped). Gonna check later. I've blown fuses on a few cars before. It just happens.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

The plastic parts are a little faded, and then there was time the battery boiled over and spewed fumes under the hood. Could be part of it.
Maybe I should swap them all out after I finish fixing ........
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine just went up in flames

John
Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
pingman
Advanced

I have burned a fuse or two in my time. I agree with Peter's opinion that a dirty or corroded terminal block increases the likelyhood of this occurence. I read a tech tip one time in perf products that said if you had a recurring fuse blow, that maybe the fuse block needed replacing. I have an '87 911 that kept blowing a fuse on the A/C blower fan on high after about 10 mins of running. I said dirty fan. Cleaned everything up cleaned the winding on the fan, greased the bearings as well as I could, etc. put it together, fuse blew after 10 mins. New fuse block, no more problems. Time on fan, 2hrs. Time on fuse block, 20 mins. Cold A/C in GA. in July......
Mark
Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

In the 10+yrs that I have owned the present 911, I have actually only had to replace 1 fuse. It had not burnt, yet... but you could see the thermal twisting and odd shape of the actual fuse material, that it could possibly burn through and fail. I could also feel a slightly higher temp in that fuses block area. I checked and there was a slight amount of that greenish corrosion on the fuse tabs, so I cleaned all of them and sprayed them all down with WD40, while turning the fuses by hand, just to make sure that they sort of cleaned their own contact areas and the terminals. I rolled up a couple of paper towels to catch the excess WD40 and the little bit of crud that ran off from the fuses and the terminal blocks. I have not had any more fuses that are deformed from high current, heat, or resistance from any corrosion on the terminal tabs. I give them a small spray with WD40 or a similar product every year, and twist them in their terminals, just to make sure there is not corrosion building up, or them not making good contact in their holders. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
m491driver
Advanced

My power seat blew a fuse once when it wasn't tracking properly. Once that was taken care of no more blown fuses. I hope it stays that way.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blow the #1 fuse occasionally (89 911 cab). I checked and there was a lower amp fuse in there but changing it did not help. It seems to occur after I wash the car so I am thinking that water intrusion is creating a short somewhere. Then my passenger side door window motor failed. When I removed it I noticed a lot of corrosion on the housing. So I think water was going down the interior of the passenger door causing the motor to short. New motor is in place and I will see what happens with the fuse. i am also changing the rubber along the door to minimize water intrusion.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blown fuse indicates excessive current flow. That's why they ... blow.

Check the wiring diagram. Those circuits might be branch circuits from a common circuit protected by that particular fuse. If so, to help isolate the source, disable one load at a time from the circuit and see if it makes a difference. Or they could be independent situations.

Does the fuse blow only when the load operates or does it happen randomly?

Sherwood
Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

In my cars defence.
The first fuse was for the rear defrost and the front defrost. Both on full in a rain storm so severe i wasn't going to drive until it stopped.
The second I was opening a window and sunroof at the same time with car sitting in intense sun all day.
Why would they put things that will be used at the same time on the same fuse?
Maybe the horn and the sunroof?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

911 Rod, that is the exact reason why so many people have updated or have added additional fuses to existing factory wiring harnesses. Some of the circuits for many different items were not really protected with just the factory fuse/relay set-ups. It is a lot easier to go ahead and do a few simple alterations to the existing wiring by adding fuse protection in-line, as close to the items that seem to have the most problems, from them not being safely protected. This would include the footwell blowers, front condenser cooling fan, gauge lighting, etc. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
911 Rod, that is the exact reason why so many people have updated or have added additional fuses to existing factory wiring harnesses. Some of the circuits for many different items were not really protected with just the factory fuse/relay set-ups. It is a lot easier to go ahead and do a few simple alterations to the existing wiring by adding fuse protection in-line, as close to the items that seem to have the most problems, from them not being safely protected. This would include the footwell blowers, front condenser cooling fan, gauge lighting, etc. Good luck!! Tony.
And these are GREAT mods for these cars...I dropped mine in for the gauge lighting...sleep better..

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
But using an inline fuse and not bypassing the fuse box, would this still not put the same amount of stress on the fuse box?

Quick Reply: Do you ever blow fuses?