Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The 3.2 Carrera as a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the word is, 'Discombobulated' Pete; of course I'd dare not correct you on anything else : )

These cars were made for driving. If you really want to have a garage queen, then as said previously, have two.

To own and not to drive and use as a regular part of your day to day life would be a shame and unnecessary...............especially with the build quality and level of interest that most people have here, it's a lot less likely to fall apart than your other vehicle.

My 0.2c
Old 07-11-2008, 02:21 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SC SKI
These cars were made for driving. If you really want to have a garage queen, then as said previously, have two.

To own and not to drive and use as a regular part of your day to day life would be a shame and unnecessary...............especially with the build quality and level of interest that most people have here, it's a lot less likely to fall apart than your other vehicle.

My 0.2c
+1. My 964 Speedster is certainly a garage queen, and I put less than 700 miles on it in 2007. This might sound odd, but I just love looking at that car. The GT3, on the other hand, is my dedicated track car. Putting 200-300 miles per track day is purse Porsche nirvana. Of late, I have been seriously considering the purchase of a 911 as a DD. As I live in the mountains, I am looked at AWD variants, specifically the 964s, 996s and 997s. My price range will most likely be determined by the economy, but this entire process of looking and evaluatiing is half of the fun...

With all that said, I still miss my 79 SC Targa. It needed more work than it was worth, so I decided to part ways a few years back. In hindsight, I should have kept it and made it a restoration project. I will always love SCs, and hope to own another someday.... To me, it already is a classic.

Great thread, btw... Thanks for posting.
-Blake

Last edited by blake; 07-11-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay H
Pete,

Could an argument be made for a 3.2 liter Carrera over a SC in an area where ethanol fuel is forced upon an owner? I've been led to believe that the SC CIS fuel injected motor has more metal fuel components coming in contact with the fuel than on a 3.2 liter motor. I also assume there is more water content in fuel with ethanol. If a car is used regularly, I don't see much of a problem since the fuel won't sit all that long in a fuel line or fuel component. However, for seldom used cars, would the 3.2 be better if you have to run high ethanol content fuel?

I'm also aware that Porsche designed the 3.2 Carrera to accept 10% ethanol fuel. Is that the same for SC's?

Thanks,

Jay
I'm no expert and simply read what other knowledgable folks have to say on these boards, but I too have read on numerous occasions (from some "gurus" as I recall) that the 3.2s were "less prone" to ethanol "issues" than the CIS cars. Probably doesn't mean they were "designed for ethanol" , just less susceptable to "issues". I'm just glad that I've never been "forced" to use it, and can get 93 here.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

edit: ps: Looking forward to what Pete Z. comes up with...interesting subject.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I have always found Pete’s advice, both here and in his book, top-notch. That comparison of SC and 3.2 Carrera’s really spells it out well and reinforces the idea that condition is the most important factor.

I think it is fair to say that if you have an SC and 3.2 in equally good condition, with similar miles etc, the 3.2 should eek out a small bit of a premium based on the engine, which is a of course a little more powerful and the numerous small improvements Porsche made year-to-year. (This is true even comparing different year SCs to each other as well as different year Carreras.)

Age may be a small factor (even given equal condition) as certain rubber parts etc. do perish over time. So, for a ’78 SC and ’86 Carrera, though both 915 cars, the Carrera in this case is almost a decade newer.

Of course, it’s a moot point if we are talking, let’s say, an ’83 SC and ‘85 Carrera.

As for that article, I found in interesting. Most often, people dismiss the collectability of these cars based on the (relatively) high volume and their build quality (i.e. they last well, so remain fairly numerous). I tend to suspect that there is real classic potential in these cars. The values may take a LONG time to get noticeably high, but I think these cars do have the “icon” status and will always be intrinsically desirable. It is fascinating to hear people tell of the Speedsters or early 911s that they sold very cheap years ago. At that time, no one thought those cars would ever be classics either!

I don’t let any of that get in the way of enjoying the car though! Although the low-mileage, super-original cars will always be the most valuable, I think a very-well looked after, high-mileage example will have value in the future as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
I think it is fair to say that if you have an SC and 3.2 in equally good condition, with similar miles etc, the 3.2 should eek out a small bit of a premium based on the engine, which is a of course a little more powerful and the numerous small improvements Porsche made year-to-year. (This is true even comparing different year SCs to each other as well as different year Carreras.)
I completely agree...

Age may be a small factor (even given equal condition) as certain rubber parts etc. do perish over time. So, for a ’78 SC and ’86 Carrera, though both 915 cars, the Carrera in this case is almost a decade newer.
...and the '86 is actually a better car, as prices have begun to reflect.

Of course, it’s a moot point if we are talking, let’s say, an ’83 SC and ‘85 Carrera.

As for that article, I found in interesting. Most often, people dismiss the collectability of these cars based on the (relatively) high volume and their build quality (i.e. they last well, so remain fairly numerous). I tend to suspect that there is real classic potential in these cars. The values may take a LONG time to get noticeably high, but I think these cars do have the “icon” status and will always be intrinsically desirable. It is fascinating to hear people tell of the Speedsters or early 911s that they sold very cheap years ago. At that time, no one thought those cars would ever be classics either!
I know that we shouldn't count on it happening, and I know for sure that I probably couldn't pick the next big thing, but if I was a betting man I'd start with the '80 Weissach Edition, and the '83 Cab, both, of course, SCs.

I don’t let any of that get in the way of enjoying the car though! Although the low-mileage, super-original cars will always be the most valuable, I think a very-well looked after, high-mileage example will have value in the future as well.
I agree with this also, but there are some pretty powerful voices out there that don't agree with your high-mileage example component. I've always believed that a non-deteriorating chassis (such as our cars have) will always have value equal to condition and level of deferred maintenance. Parts cars aside (from rust, accidents, abuse, whatever) 911s that were built between '78 and 89 are all worth saving, and all have value. For a buyer to ignore a good one might be a costly mistake.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
jd483
Intermediate

I always liked the M coupe, but always thought of it as modern Volvo 1800ES on steroids. A true love it or leave it. Kinda obscure, maybe a bit too obscure.
Douglas, funny, the pic of the AMC. Did you know the designer of the 928 actually used the Pacer as inspiration for the 928's roof? Swear.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What's a 928? Is that a Volvo?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
What's a 928? Is that a Volvo?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK Doug... you can take the tongue out of the cheek...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JABSEA
OK Doug... you can take the tongue out of the cheek...
...hehehehehe..

Doyle
Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As a 993 owner, I'm pretty hot for a G50 3.2 right now (to add to, rather than replace the 993)...prices seem to be trending upwards...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

The first time I seriously looked at buying a 3.2 Carrera I met up with a very nice gentleman who was selling his ’87, having recently purchased a 993. He had used his 3.2 for track days and was looking for something a little more modern and faster (i.e. 993).

Although I did not end up purchasing his car, we stayed a little in touch and after a couple of months (with his ’87 now gone to a new home) I asked him how he was enjoying his 993. His response was that the 993 was great and he loved it, but there was a special feel to the 3.2 which he missed too. His high-school-aged daughter had remarked that the new car was a lot “softer” – which I assume meant less raw.

I can certainly see why it would nice to have both!

As for the price trend, I agree, the cars are not getting cheaper. Although the economic slowdown in North America is definitely real, the influx of European interest is offsetting this.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As for the price trend, I agree, the cars are not getting cheaper. Although the economic slowdown in North America is definitely real, the influx of European interest is offsetting this.
I think that's true, but I also think that the "window" in which cars are still selling has grown much tighter. The buyer who has $10K, and only $10K, will no longer buy a $10K car and worry about all the things that car might need "next week." With that segment of the market on life support only the very best cars (that very small window) are going to sell, either when word of mouth is strong, or marketing the car is done very well.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
gerry100
Pro

Default hell of a deal

In this context the fact that my '86 3.2 might be a classic only means that the cost/mile of ownership might be a little lower.

If I got 20k for my coupe the cost per mile would be under 80 cents, our about what it costs to operate your standard driving appliance.

My 'vette cost about $1.25 aound nd my wife's Honda CRV will probably come in around 50 cents.

For the fun I've had,the experiences and the people I've met, 80 cts a mile is a hell of a deal.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
gerry 123
Cruisin'

Peter,
I recently purchased your book, and it is invaluable - good stuff and great info.

I am currently looking at an '88 3.2 Targa - are there any specific issues associated with a low mileage car of 21k miles? Thanks for your help.

Gerry

Quick Reply: The 3.2 Carrera as a future classic?