Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The 3.2 Carrera as a future classic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rnln
Have you ever posted picture of your car Doug?
You're joking right?

But +1 to what Pete and Doug say. I am driving mine a lot these days, it's getting dirty, some chips up front, and all around road grime. I wear it with pride.

I hope to break 20K miles driving in one year.
-matt
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
You're joking right?

But +1 to what Pete and Doug say. I am driving mine a lot these days, it's getting dirty, some chips up front, and all around road grime. I wear it with pride.

-matt
Wow, now I see why my great grandparents kept on walking.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Requirements for 3.2 or SC?

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...it was largely a cost/benefit study of the two cars, and went something like this...
Pete,

Could an argument be made for a 3.2 liter Carrera over a SC in an area where ethanol fuel is forced upon an owner? I've been led to believe that the SC CIS fuel injected motor has more metal fuel components coming in contact with the fuel than on a 3.2 liter motor. I also assume there is more water content in fuel with ethanol. If a car is used regularly, I don't see much of a problem since the fuel won't sit all that long in a fuel line or fuel component. However, for seldom used cars, would the 3.2 be better if you have to run high ethanol content fuel?

I'm also aware that Porsche designed the 3.2 Carrera to accept 10% ethanol fuel. Is that the same for SC's?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with the article. Not a fan of the ZR-1 but understand why it was chosen. I recently sold my mint RS America and chose to keep my 88 Gulf Blue Club Sport. The collector market is finally looking to 911Porsche market for more than the early 70's cars lead by the 73 RS. My opinion, buying a good example of an SC or 3.2 at a price fair in today's market is a smart move. They won't appreciate like a Ferrari (don't get me started) but it's great fun to drive and at the end of the day if you break-even or make a few dollars when you sell it, what a deal!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by DHinkle
My opinion, buying a good example of an SC or 3.2 at a price fair in today's market is a smart move. They won't appreciate like a Ferrari (don't get me started) but it's great fun to drive and at the end of the day if you break-even or make a few dollars when you sell it, what a deal!
When I bought my 3.2 I just assumed that it was money down the drain and it would cost me more in maintenance over the years. I bought it at 125K, it's getting close to 140 and it's going to keep climbing, at this point it has lost value. But in the end it was fun, if I have to sell it and get some money back, all the better but I am not counting on it.

I just could never see any car as an 'investment', at best it's just a liability.

-matt
Old 07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I wasn't. Didn't think about his avatar.
BTW, I don't think anyone would "spend" money into any car as an "investment".

Doug, I will look around RC for a blue convertible. See you around

You're joking right?

-matt
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by rnln
No, I wasn't. Didn't think about his avatar.
I was joking. Doug enjoys taking pictures of his car and posting them here....almost as much as I do.

Cheers!
-matt
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt, You've been taking pictures of my car?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Pete,

Could an argument be made for a 3.2 liter Carrera over a SC in an area where ethanol fuel is forced upon an owner? I've been led to believe that the SC CIS fuel injected motor has more metal fuel components coming in contact with the fuel than on a 3.2 liter motor. I also assume there is more water content in fuel with ethanol. If a car is used regularly, I don't see much of a problem since the fuel won't sit all that long in a fuel line or fuel component. However, for seldom used cars, would the 3.2 be better if you have to run high ethanol content fuel? I'm also aware that Porsche designed the 3.2 Carrera to accept 10% ethanol fuel. Is that the same for SC's?Thanks,Jay
Excellent question, and one that I do not have an answer for! What we need now is someone that's in the fuel industry to comment, I don't believe that I've ever read anything regarding SC/ethanol compatibility - but I have read about concerns with metal contact. Looks like I'm going to have to make some phone calls!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cal44
Damn Mr. Z, I just passed on a '83 911 coupe with 75K miles and champagne in color, it was lovely for 16K. After reading you comparison post I am now kicking myself. When will I learn? When......
...tsk, tsk... Man, if that car was for real (mileage, etc.), that could have been a heckuva deal! That said, without a PPI you just never know.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt

I was thinking about your mirror pic as I was outside this afternoon washing the bugs from MY car. I did a haul up to Apsley & back. 5 hours of driving bliss. And I even took it easy since my wife was with me.

Drive 'em.

And yes Pete, ethanol has been discussed & there appears to be concern about the long-term effects to CIS cars due to its water sponge nature. The science is beyond me but I will try to find some threads.

Ian
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

There is another issue. Most folks say "drive it.....that is what it is for". So you go to sell and guess what? The same bastards that said "drive it" now aren't interested in buying because it's got to many miles.
Then everyone is looking for the low mileage car, and why not. The high mileage guy is then screwed. So I think I have the solution. Own two, one to drive and one to look at. There was an '86 coupe black with can can red leather and high mileage (175K) here in town. That poor guy couldn't give that thing away and it was nice. I think finally it went for $11K. Ya....shoulda bought that '83, it had low miles.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cal44
There was an '86 coupe black with can can red leather and high mileage (175K) here in town. That poor guy couldn't give that thing away and it was nice. I think finally it went for $11K.
I have to believe that was an economy-related deal. I can't believe what it's done to our market, but we had a burgundy '89 Cab (3.2 car) in our local paper (110K miles) for one week last month at $24K. Our paper runs an ad until the car sells, and the ad is closed so I assume that the car sold. I wish that I saved the phone number, I talked to the seller the first day the ad appeared and he claimed the car was "perfect." You know that I tried for a while to sell my '82, had a few people express real interest, but the economy was the main reason the car didn't sell (by the way, I'm glad that it didn't!). A local guy couldn't get past the fact that his house lost over $100K in value over the previous 18 months, and the rest is history. I hope to fit my new Carrera whale tail to the car next week!

By the way, that '83 SC might be coming up on a clutch, brakes, synchros, airbox, Carrera Tensioner update, etc... but maybe some of that was already done!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
By the way, that '83 SC might be coming up on a clutch, brakes, synchros, airbox, Carrera Tensioner update, etc... but maybe some of that was already done!
I would think that a higher mileage car that has had this kind of work done already at lets say 110,000 , it would be worth more than a car that has not had the work done...even if it is a low mileage car.

I have been doing tons of thinking lately (as you know Pete), and I might have come to the conclusion that I will never sell my car. That being said...I think I am going to gut the sucker out and make my own little hotrod.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

When I bought my 3.2 I just assumed that it was money down the drain and it would cost me more in maintenance over the years. I bought it at 125K, it's getting close to 140 and it's going to keep climbing, at this point it has lost value. But in the end it was fun, if I have to sell it and get some money back, all the better but I am not counting on it.

I just could never see any car as an 'investment', at best it's just a liability.

-matt
I agree but certain Porsche's fall into that category. The point I was trying to make is it's a great time to buy a "driver", enjoy it and when the time comes to sell it for someone else to enjoy, you may actually break-even or mitigate your losses while having a great time owning a classic.

Quick Reply: The 3.2 Carrera as a future classic?