Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PPI near Huntsville, Al?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Steely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI near Huntsville, Al?

Can I settle for a PPI at a dealer - where the seller may have marked his territory? There's a candidate in Huntsville, but I don't seem to be able to find an indy closer than Birmingham.

Her she is: http://huntsville.craigslist.org/car/743956360.html

Thanks,
Dan

Thinking of changing my name to dreamer these days.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Porsche8777
Instructor

I know Ken and the car pretty well, he is a fellow PCA member and track rat. It is pretty much as he stated as far as work and appearance. Unfortunately there isn't anyone in the Huntsville area that knows anything about older Porsches including the dealer. The dealer could do a leak down and compression test which is most of what you need. Other than that Nashville is probably as close as you will find a good independent shop. Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Steely
Instructor

Default Thanks for the info.

That is a help - Ive been looking for some time now, guess I'll have to cope with the distance issues. As a PCA member, it looked like dealer was the hub of the HOD Porsche events and I was concerned of partiality.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could contact Charlie Swanson here in Hsv - he has a private shop, is expert on all 911s (owned & serviced them for 30 yrs)... he has serviced that car - I would trust his evaluation in any case. PM me for his contact info if you wish.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Steely
Instructor

Thanks ked - am sending a PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A buddy of mine here on Rennlist used to live in Nashville and used Wickie Laurie of Renntag. Motorwerks in Nashville. Nashville is about 100 miles north of Huntsville, whereas Birmingham is about 90 miles south. There is a P-Car dealer in Huntsville if needed, though I doubt they would be as familiart with older 911s as desired....

-Blake
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A quick question about the ad..." A NEW SW CHIP,NEW MK EXHAUST,NEW EURO PRE MUFFLER FABSPEED.THIS CAR MAKES 40 MORE HP THAN A STANDARD CARRERA"

Are you going to have to put a cat on the car to pass smog in PA? Do you have smog laws? Are you figuring in the $500+ to do that or will they ship the original one with the car in hopes that it will still work?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Steely
Instructor

Blake - +1 on the dealer. Good news is, I got a line on an indy there via PM. Right now, I am still trying to get back to / hear from the seller so I can explore starting the coordination process. That, and I had to find something to warm my feet if you know what I mean.

Doug - Lived here on and off for 50+ years and I don't know smog laws off hand - howzat for knowledgeable buyer. I never had a problem with any of my cars (none are porsches), I just paid and had the test done. There are emissions rqmnts, but I don't know how tight they'd apply. I probably need one, but I have vast reserves (will $200 do? ha ha) First things first however. It is an excellent question, one I shoved to the bottom under where are the fuchs and can I have them, and is there a tail to go with the front spoiler, etc etc.

I am excited but don't even know if he sold it yet. I started looking out of the region only recently to expand my choices, but the GU thing is murder.

I gotta say that PMs' from this site have given me major (tech and moral) help.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Steely, and please keep up posted. Rennlist is truly a great resource.

-Blake
Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Steely
Instructor

Thanks Blake -

Thanks to ked, and after speaking with the seller and Charlie Swanson, the ppi is lined up. Don't know a date yet.

<taps fingers>
-Dan
Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 AM
rgklex
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ked
you could contact Charlie Swanson here in Hsv - he has a private shop, is expert on all 911s (owned & serviced them for 30 yrs)... he has serviced that car - I would trust his evaluation in any case. PM me for his contact info if you wish.
does Charlie Watson still have a shop in HSV? I too am interested in a PPI

Quick Reply: PPI near Huntsville, Al?