Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Tranny Issue....Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
jh225
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 915 Tranny Issue....Need Some Help

Once in a while when shifting from 1st to 2nd, the shifter is kind of reluctant to come out of 1st, When I pull firmer, it will come out of 1st and make kind of like a click or snap sound that sound like plastic not metal. It goes to neutral and right into 2nd with no problem after the click.

Most times it shifts fine and a number of years ago the PO had the 2nd syncro done. In any case, it is not an issue of going into 2nd which it does smoothly, it is an issue of the shifter not wanting to come out of first.

It definitely does not sound like the sound is coming from the tranny, it is more like it is coming from the shifter.

Thoughts?
______
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Many times so called "transmission" problems are actually shifter problems. I just rebuilt my shifter with the factory Porsche short shift kit. I also replaced the plastic cup bushing that snaps onto the end of the shifter ball and the bushing that supports the shift rod at the shifter end. Total parts less than $150 and time spent about three hours. My 915 would occasionally grind a gear and would get stuck in 5th once in a while requiring a strong pull to get it out of gear. All this went away with the shifter rebuild and new bushings. It can also help to adjust the shift rod at the tranny end where the shift coupling is. Put it in first gear and loosen the pinch bolt on the clamp. There is a small amount of travel here to play with until you get the best shift action your 915 is capable of. Just remember the older 911s aren't famous for their slick shifting! I also plan to rebuild the pedal cluster and adjust the clutch at that time. This may give an incremental improvement is shifting feel as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It would help greatly if you could post when the problem occurs; (1) car cold, or medium-warm, or hot, (2) are you shifting at 2K revs, 3K revs, 4K revs, etc., (3) how long have you owned the car and has this occurred since you bought it?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
jh225
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
It would help greatly if you could post when the problem occurs;

(1) car cold, or medium-warm, or hot,
It has only occurred 2-3 times and car/fluid was hot once, cold another time.

(2) are you shifting at 2K revs, 3K revs, 4K revs, etc.,
I would say around 3K. Normal driving. It hasn't happened under "spirited" driving yet

(3) how long have you owned the car and has this occurred since you bought it?
Owned the car a very short time. Didn't happen on the drive home, and I have only driven it 2 other times for an hour or so

If you could picture the sound and feel of a person cracking his knuckle or dog clicker, but a little quieter. Tension on the shift lever, then a little pop.

Most times it is not present, but I want to address it now before I get stuck somewhere.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a hunch that this issue is a little bit synchro, and a little bit driver! If the first gear synchro is slightly out of tolerance, and the driver shifts the car up at too low an rpm, then what you're experiencing can/will happen. The reason for the synchro can be due to many causes, but the driver is another issue entirely! I strongly recommend that you start shifting from first to second at 4K revs (maybe even 4,500 after the oil temp is up - don't worry, this will not cause premature wear or hurt the car), and monitor the shift quality - the 915 can be a bit touchy and you must adapt to it. I would hate to see you spend money unnecessarily if all you need to do is modify your driving style slightly.

I know exactly what noise you're hearing - it's far more pronounced when you leave your car in 5th, reduce speed to below 50 mph, then try to pull it out. 915s don't like that either!

Another thought; as you raise the revs a bit in first you might find that the engagement of second gear will be different. Always use the two-part shift: (1) Remove shifter from first, (2) While in neutral apply a little pressure against second, and engage that gear when it's ready. This will take a little practice (unless you're already doing it, of course!), and if it's new to you you'll catch on quickly - never hurry shifts in a 915!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
jh225
Instructor

It is entirely possible that the revs were not high enough, as both times I remember that it happened was just leisurely driving.

I already do the pressure into 2nd gig.

I will keep the revs up and see what happens.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 915 Tranny Issue....Need Some Help