Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cross-Post: Please educate me on synthetic motor oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cross-Post: Please educate me on synthetic motor oil.....

Gents,

Curious to get your thoughts on this: Was at my local shop having the oil changed on my 993TT last week and got to speaking with the mechanics as I typically do, this time, about Synthetic motor oil. A 964 was having an oil line replaced....I saw the mess that was the prior oil line and the seals as well. The mechanics told me that synthetic motor oils (more specifically the chemical additives) tend to wreck havoc on porsche seals and oil lines, hence, the shop no longer utilizes synthetics. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Greg

Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Greg,

This is a VERY complex subject, but I'd tell you that your shop is woefully misinformed about synthetic oils over the past 7 years.

Gaskets, seals, and O-rings fail due to excessive heat, NOT the choice of oil. Using such items that are a higher quality (Viton) than OEM goes a LONG way toward preventing such occurrances as well as strict control of oil temps.

I'd bet he sees a lot of leaking 964's & 993's in Houston, but thats an oil temp problem, not due to oil choice. Add an additional left-side front cooler and that issue goes away.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Thanks Steve.

Cheers

Greg
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, you are very correct. I have the Cargraphic extra oil cooler on my TT and my temp always stays at 8:00 even in high humidity and 100 degree temps in North Carolina.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Default Checked with my local shop

Gents,

Checked with my guys and can confirm that my shop (Protechnik) here in Stafford made the switch to Valvoline 20W 50 racing oil. It is a blend of synthetic and petroleum based oils. They use the oil in their race cars so I believe it will be fine for both of my turbos.

www.protechnik.com

"VR1 Racing Motor Oil is race-proven and formulated to provide high load-carrying characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions."

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=50

No H20 - I wanted the oil changed for my own peace of mind..........no other reason. I wanted my oil and my filters in the car. I change both more frequently than I need to.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve-----------
I'd bet he sees a lot of leaking 964's & 993's in Houston, but thats an oil temp problem,
I went into our Post Office in a little Texas town this morning. The girl there told me that her dad, who is stationed North of Bagdad got the 4th of July off because the temp was 150 degrees with a/c problems. Makes Houston look pretty nice---- unless you have ever been there and know the truth.

Quick Reply: Cross-Post: Please educate me on synthetic motor oil.....