Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A quick thank you, and a question or two....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 03:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Default A quick thank you, and a question or two....

I drove my sweet, sweet ride to San Diego (Lucadia) yesterday morning at 7:00 AM.

#1 It was a 225 mile round trip. I used about 1/3 a tank of 95 octane.

#2 I have noticed that if I let the key sit in the "ON" position before I hit the starter she fires right up.

#3 Sometimes at long stoplights I get a little black smoke.

Question: Could this be telling me the car is running super lean? Could my fuel pump be low on preshure? Or am I just having way too much fun?

Yes, I am seriously sunburned.

Oh ya, thank you for all the help and encouragement. Last weekends valve adjustment found a couple loose ones. All else is doing well.
Old 06-29-2008 | 06:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

1. You went 225 miles on a 1/3 of a tank? Either you have some sort of rare factory Le Mans endurance tank or your gas gauge or tripmeter is off.

2. Are you saying it doesn't fire right up when you don't let the key sit in position #2? If so, does and crank and crank or does nothing happen at all?

3. Black smoke? That would point to rich rather than lean, but can you smell the smoke? As in does it smell like oil or a rich mixture? I've read that you've had your intake all apart, if you haven't I'd get a professional to check your CO and your fuel pressure and make sure everything's OK.
Old 06-29-2008 | 06:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Droops, this is a heck of a puzzle isn't it?

Increadable gas milage...Mostly freeway at 75 in 5th so may not be too off. (about 40 miles of street driving from Oceanside thru Carlsbad to Lucadia and back has to be to best beach cruise shy of where you are at.

It's the hard start and the black smoke that really confuse me. It cranks very well with my Interstate battery, but it acts (to my unknowing head) like it isn't getting fuel at start up yet the smoke says rich.

Peter Z's shop told me the cap on the A/F mixture thingy has never been touched so it may be way off. Who knows? It goes down the road like a banchee, Idles very smooth, doesn't burn oil, is perty, so I guess I shouldn't frett.

It's the first pro visit in 20 years for the car so I am nervous for her. (now at 71,800 miles)
Old 06-30-2008 | 12:41 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Well I'd want to verify the mixture since it's been so long and you've had a bunch of stuff apart. You should do this, anything you do till then is just guesswork. Also, if you have a fuel pressure gauge, you can watch it while someone else cranks to see if the starting problem is fuel pressure related or not, and of course you can also verify correct pressure while running, and see if pressure drops too rapidly after shutdown (IE problem w/ the check valve).
Old 06-30-2008 | 01:36 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thanks Chris, the car is so much more drive-able thn a year ago but yes, she des need a profeshional shop. I'm gonna check into the fuel preshure gauge. And I'll get her into the shop for the mixture.

I got a fiew more (15) king palm trees and a sterio system for the front yard today. I'm listening to margaritaville with my feet up surrounded by now over 100 palms on my front porch. The sun is down, the temp is down, and I my onl care in the world is my AFR. lol
Old 06-30-2008 | 04:51 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

+1 on Rich A/F

That is very interesting on the start up, Going to try that. But I always push clutch in on my start ups.

That MPG is outstanding!
Old 06-30-2008 | 07:30 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

On my recent trip to Ohio with my chipped & fuel position #2 (+6%), I got 26mpg pushing 75-80mph target speed in my top-dropped '84 Cab, 80+ degree temps. I got 27 when I first bought the car (pre-Ethanol) on the ride home from Michigan, and I wasn't exactly babying it, but the temps were cooler too.

My fuel gauge is top-heavy, drops quicker when closer to low-fuel. Stays "full" longer than it should, I think. I always use the trip odo anyway. Around town, it's just a tick over 20mpg usually.
Old 06-30-2008 | 10:21 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
...That MPG is outstanding!
And not really believable imo. I've only checked mine once (over the course of a full tank of gas, and not relying upon the guages), interstate driving averaging 80-90 mph and got right at 27 mpg (VERY good imo). Of course, one could do a "bit" better, but imo, "no way, no how" could you possibly go 675 miles on a tankful. Do an accurate test sometime when you get a chance Douglas, and don't rely upon the gauges. I'm sure it'll be good...just not THAT good

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 06-30-2008 | 11:06 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yeap,..too good to be true....

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-30-2008 | 12:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Doyle, I thought you ment my porch, not my porsche when I first read your reply.

I totally agree on the milage thing. Fred you are probebly right on on the gauge being top heavy.
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:56 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

How's the O2 sensor ? Also, check your idle switch for continuity and adjustment.
Old 06-30-2008 | 10:48 PM
old man neri
Drifting

My gauge is 'top heavy' as well. I can do a good 300mi on the first half....no so much with the second half.
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I replaced the O2 sensor when I removed the cat, say 9 months ago. Checked the idle switch when I did the manifold....this may be worth looking into though. I know it works, but it may not be set correctly. I'll have to play with it. I replaced the WOT switch thinking it was the idle switch(I won't say who fooled me into that sale, not a site sponsor or any of our friends here, just very well known...)

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: A quick thank you, and a question or two....