Smoking 911 SC, Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking 911 SC, Need help

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on in a while due to me trying to finish college.

I have an 83SC engine.

For some weird reason or another, I wasn't paying attention to how I was adding oil to the car during my oil change. I ended up adding too much, and went to run some errands and go see Wall-e with my girlfriend.

Upon getting about a mile from my house, I noticed the car was smoking like I had been a stoner and hot-boxing the thing. I turned around while the engine was still cold and headed home. I didn't hear anything go bang or any weird noises along the way.

I stopped the car back into my house and found the oil level was way too high, even for it being cold. I left the car at the house until Sunday (today) when I could take care of it.

Today I completely drained and changed the oil again, and now the car won't stop smoking. Albeit it has been less smoke.

My question is do I have a broken ring? Should I continue to run and hopefully burn the oil out and replace the spark plugs later tonight? Any help on this would be great.

Thanks in advance

-Nick
Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

If you overfilled the engine, you may have sucked oil into the intake through the breather system, and that makes a huge mess. I'll bet that if you take off the airbox lid, you'll see a bunch of oil in there. You may have to replace the air filter element. Just clean the oil out of the airbox and the breather hoses as best as you can and just let the rest burn off, and hopefully that'll be it. Pulling the spark plugs and perhaps changing them may not be a bad idea based on how much oil was burned. Oh yeah since your car is an '83, if you still have the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter intact there is a possibility of their getting contaminated by oil, but hopefully you didn't burn enough for that to happen. You'll have to wait and see after the smoking stops.

This happened once when we got a '74 911 from a Jiffy Lube (!) who of course didn't realize there were 2 drain plugs, and then probably looked up the oil capacity on their computer and saw that it said 10 or 12 quarts and added that much, on top of the 4 or 5 that were probably still in there. Guess who got to clean it up?

Last edited by Droops83; 06-29-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added some info.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, laid a smoke screen James Bond would have been proud of. Managed to drain just a couple quarts of oil in a messy operation. I had a puddle of oil in the air box. Wiped it out and wiped the sensor plate as much as I could reach through the air box. Then just started and drove it. After several blocks, the smoke subsided and all was well.

Believe me, many, many have gone before you.

Brett
Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

depending on how handy you are, I managed to take kidney off and claen ot all out from the top too. There are a couple of hoses that come from the back but it is definitely dooable..
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I think you may be able to wipe out the air intake box with a cloth and let it run for about a half hour. You might blip the gas every now and then. CAreful with your neighbors cause this will look like a fire. The plugs may need to be changed??
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 AM
rentadate
Instructor

Sounds good. I'll look at it tomorrow when I have some light. Also, I don't think I cracked a ring because the car still runs fine and runs strong. I hadn't thought of looking at the air intake. Thanks for the advice. I'm just glad that it is warm out so I can ride my bike to work tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I learned a lot.

-Nick
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 AM
rentadate
Instructor

Today I went through and cleaned as much oil out of the filter as I could. There wasn't a lot of oil in the thing.

I ended up trying to run it. It runs then the engine stalls. Think because it's just cold. I'm still throwing out tons of smoke. Enough for the neighbors to complain so I had to turn it off. The smoke screen isn't as bad as when I was on too much oil.

Also it doesn't smoke upon just starting after leaving it alone. Then after about 30 seconds it start smoking. Should I drive the thing around for a while and hopefully the Environmental Police of Hippie-ville don't catch me?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

sounds like you have fouled the plugs too .. when your smoke clears ( and all th eoil has burned off ) i would throw in a frsh set

Quick Reply: Smoking 911 SC, Need help