Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

anyone keep a targa under a cover outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 AM
bargamon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone keep a targa under a cover outside?

I have had my pristine 74 Targa just 6 mos and now we are moving to a home that has no garage. I love the car, but don't want to just keep it under cover as she won't love the out doors. The 74's are not galvanized.

what to do???
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, I kept my 88 outside all the time. Through the sun, snow, rain, storms...etc. I have the 'stormproof' cover from CoverKing (pretty good deal through pelican). It sheds off all water but moisture is allowed to evaporate through. Sort of like Gortex.

If you get a good cover that breathes but is water proof like mine I don't think you would have a problem. It's either that, sell your car, or get a garage.

-matt
Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Build a garage ...
The humidity alone can do damage...
Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Buy a good cover as suggested and then build a garage. First, keep the Porsche. We had the Targa outside for 7 months and used a Porsche factory cover with theft device metal strand rope what has a lock at the end. We looped it thru the wheel and swing arm at the rear on the driver side. We placed it so that it was easy to see so that the thief could see it. We also had an alarm.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Marty916
Instructor

I keep my targa outside as well, the garage is currently occupied by too many motorcycles. I use one of those silver covers that I sourced from Porsche, not sure about the actual brand, and an additional gortex-type cover over that. I think the trick is to keep out as much water as possible but have a breathable cover as mentioned by old man neri to allow any water that does penetrate to evaporate. Fortunately I live in California where it doesn't rain. The bad part is that the entire state is currently on fire and the ash is covering my poor 911.....
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

coverking is good. I like my coverking too.

Originally Posted by old man neri
Well, I kept my 88 outside all the time. Through the sun, snow, rain, storms...etc. I have the 'stormproof' cover from CoverKing (pretty good deal through pelican). It sheds off all water but moisture is allowed to evaporate through. Sort of like Gortex.

If you get a good cover that breathes but is water proof like mine I don't think you would have a problem. It's either that, sell your car, or get a garage.

-matt
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I keep my targa outside also. It is an 84 so it is galvanized, but here are the issues

1) Covers retain moisture, scratch the paint and deposit dirt on the car.

2) Alot of the rust comes from driving in the rain, and water collecting into dirt and debris underneath the car.

3) Driving the car regularly will help keep it dry and in better shape.

4) if your top leaks (they all do) keep the greenhouse covered.

If it were up to me I would find a way to build a roof-type structure over your parking space, and make it a point to drive it regularly... especially on hot dry days.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:59 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Hell How about a Car Capsule?

Performance Products $350:

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
jd483
Intermediate

I just lost my indoor storage recently and bought a weathershield cover. Works okay but not a garage. I was just inspired by the car capsule though. I'm envisioning a $1500 '20 SeaTrain container with a glass, plexi or whatever window on the front and top modified to look like a diecast car box. Think Corgi or Schucco maybe. Cheap form of protection and when the neighbors complain...it's mobile. My neighbors can't complain, their backyard looks and often smells like something bad from Appalachia.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
por012773
Intermediate

Perhaps you could rent a storage garage until you can find a permanent garage. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 87 Cabriolet and no garage, no ability to build a garage, no way it's ever gonna be in a garage. And maybe one day it will rust because of it. But until then (and even after that day) I'm keeping the car.

I keep it covered most of the time --- not because of rain or sun, but because my cats think the ragtop makes a wonderful hammock to lay on.

If you like the car, keep it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 AM
bargamon
Advanced

Not being galvanized is a problem.

I have a house for sale. Im in horse country and the roads here are sweet. Where I am moving I have no garage, and to build one is possible, but it really has to be in the back, and we got a lake view.

Im thinking of including with a full price offer and generate some interest in the property. The housing market it really soft and Im moving in a few weeks.

Im not desporate, but it would be nice to sell the house.

I really like driving the targa and will miss it. But we move on and do other things.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
afinepoint
Racer

My Targa lives outside in rain, snow, ice storms , wind and high Va humidity beneath a good cover. No issues. Just make sure the cover breaths. Don't worry and remember it's a car not a piece of furniture. It's designed for outdoor use.

Reg
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Is a cover really that much of a benefit in view of the potential scratches and moisture retention as mentioned by an earlier poster. All mine were left outside , ok I don't live in California with 100% sunshine ;-) but didn't have any real problems with mechanicals or paintwork. Just drive every day or two and regular maintenance.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I have an 87 Cabriolet and no garage, no ability to build a garage, no way it's ever gonna be in a garage. And maybe one day it will rust because of it. But until then (and even after that day) I'm keeping the car.

I keep it covered most of the time --- not because of rain or sun, but because my cats think the ragtop makes a wonderful hammock to lay on.

If you like the car, keep it.
You too? I leave my cab at my other house and leave it covered. Cats love the convertible top as it is soft, warm and does not get hot or cold.

Quick Reply: anyone keep a targa under a cover outside?