Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What would the proper etiquette be in this situation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would the proper etiquette be in this situation

Last year I was considering purchasing a 86 M491 from a gentleman in Jacksonville. I had walked away from the car earlier since he was not willing to be reasonable on the price. He had contacted me a month or so later saying he was willing to reconsider, and had taken the car in for a PPI and everything was solid.

We were able to agree on a price, it was still a bit high but I really liked the car. I had agreed based on an independant PPI; several members on pelican highly recommended a shop for the PPI and the car was sent there. The PPI revealed a couple of leaks, the brakes were below spec, and some other minor things. It would be about $1000 to get the majority of the items taken car of, not including rotors etc. I had spoken with the owner and we agreed that there were no deal breakers, I stated an adjustment will be made based on the issues not revealed in the previous PPI. We were pressed for time during teh conversation, so we agreed that I would make arrangements to come down the following week. I called early in the week andasked that a $500 adjustment be made on the price due to the issues discovered. His attitude was a bit different this time and he said that he woudl speak with the mechanic and let me know. I had reminded him that I was tentatively flying down the next day; he assured me he would call before days end.

I ended up confirming my flight without hearing from him, I was willing to pay the previously agreed price anyways so no big deal. I finally heard from the gentlemen and he told me he now wanted $2000 more, there was another interested party. Obviously I hit the roof and was quite upset. I had built my travel around some work items, so I was stuck travelling to Jacksonville on my own dime. I called the mechanic the next day and pressed them on what happened, the whole deal did a 180 after the owner and mechanic conversed. He assured me he was not trying to buy the car, he wouldnt do that. I later found out that he had known the car since the owner took delivery( He was a mechanic at Brumos) and he had always wanted it.

I messaged the pelican members who referred the mechanic and they had said he wouldnt do that, hes not that kind of person. I had no choice but to move on, I wasnt willing to pay more on principal alone.

I was checking the classifieds today and found this:
https://rennlist.com/ads/ -ad #7977

Thats the car, and that the mechanic that did the PPI. What a POS.

I cant believe that he took money for the PPI and then bought the car from under me.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

So how do you know the mechanic is buying the car?

I guess the proper etiquette is to move on. Not like you can do anything else really.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM
samsnead
Pro

He has bought it and is selling it again
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samsnead
He has bought it and is selling it again
At the very least, you should get all of your money back for the PPI.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by old man neri
So how do you know the mechanic is buying the car?

I guess the proper etiquette is to move on. Not like you can do anything else really.
OMN...Perhaps more likely, we have the mechanic and his company brokering the car for the ....errr..."gentleman."

samsnead...if all went down exactly as you said and you left out no pertinent details, then you were treated dishonestly and unethically IMO. You should demand your PPI money back.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I would absolutely demand your money back. Based on ethics alone, i wonder if the PPI he did somehow better positioned him to buy the car from under you. Make the car seem like it had more problems then it really had so you would try and negotiate more. Then when the deal fell through, he could sweep in without you knowing. I realize it is all just business, but doen anyone have integrity and ethics anymore. I feel bad for you, and you really should get your money back for th PPI.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike S.
OMN...Perhaps more likely, we have the mechanic and his company brokering the car for the ....errr..."gentleman."

Mike
...or the person who bought it from the "gentleman." The ad says the owner bought this car 5 months ago. Is this when the deal fell through? You know, it's quite possible that both the original seller ("gentleman") and the PPI mechanic we both telling the truth. Send an E-mail to the current seller and ask him if he's the owner or brokering the car.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

If what you say is a fact then that is very unethical..as others mention you should at least get your money back for the ppi..

While some people may say move on..one has to be in your shoes to feel your pain..
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme

While some people may say move on..one has to be in your shoes to feel your pain..
Oh, I feel your pain and I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I just suggested moving on to save further aggravation and frustration.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
Oh, I feel your pain and I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I just suggested moving on to save further aggravation and frustration.
As much as I would want "revenge" on the unethical seller and dealer... I have to agree with old man neri... the more you dwell on it, the more it will eat away at you.

This was not the right car for you. It was overpriced and you wouldn't have had any money left over to do all the cool stuff you would want to do.

The more I think about it, the dealer did you a big favor. Saved you a ton of money.

This was a good thing that happened. Smile about it.
This was not YOUR 911.

(but I'd still call him up and tell him you expect a refund to be in the mail tomorrow or everyone on Rennlist and the rest of the internet will be made aware of what he did)
Old 06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
jh225
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see ad #7977, was it removed?

And BTW, the so called honest tech owes you whatever you payed him for the PPI.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:50 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Every now and then you take a hit from less than honest sellers. In the future you may want to do an agreement via email about details of the transaction. Time, place, price etc. If you are going to travel, get an agreement that he will hold the car until you get there, have the proper documents, good title etc and get his home address and 2 or 3 phone #s. Home, cell, and work.
The seller owes you money. The problem is collecting. Small claims court may not function well in this case. The wrench owes you the money for the inspection. I WOULD turn him over to the proper government agency of his City and State to file a statement against him. This guy needs problems for doing what he did. Before you contact the government agencies, write the wrench a certified letter/retrun receipt stating your claim for return of the funds. Tell him you will wait 4 days for a payment by USPS check(only), and if no payment, then you intend to file an action against him.
Good luck and better luck on the next buy.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 AM
yogi
Advanced

If you paid for the ppi with a credit card. Call the credit card company and dispute the charge.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by jh225
I don't see ad #7977, was it removed?
Looks like it was removed. Car was listed at $32000. Had 176,000 miles IIRC. Text said the 2nd owner has had it for 5 months. The contact for the listing is a relatively well known name (in the P-cars world). His company and company E-mail address were provided.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Looks like it was removed. Car was listed at $32000
At least you have the satisfaction of knowing he won't be selling the car on Rennlist! Looks like he has already had enough bad P.R. here.

Quick Reply: What would the proper etiquette be in this situation