Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got a new car! (really just new Bilstein HDs)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bourgeois911
I dreaded driving through Lancaster ... Just about the time he graduated they completed the bypass on route 33, a little late to help me.
Getting through Lancaster used to be a nightmare. Problem solved with the by-pass. And the by-pass is actually a very scenic road. Come on down and we'll tackle some twisties

Originally Posted by bourgeois911
I might have to check my shocks out now, not because I perceive a problem but because of what you observed after removal.
A friend who owns a 964 C4 drove my car for a week and thought it handled great. I did too. But then I noticed just a little body roll. And I thought my tires broke loose when they shouldn't... I started losing confidence because it just felt "wrong/sloppy."

I wish I could tell you how to test yours before you go to the trouble of removing. But honestly, everyone who "tested" mine said they seemed ok. Man, they were not ok. I'm not exaggerating, the Boge inserts I removed could be compressed with one finger and they didn't even think about rebounding.

The difference in handling is amazing. Far more improvement than I could have believed just a change in shocks could make. I made no other mods to the suspension (except a front strut tower bar).
Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swing2hard
How much money do you think you have into changing the shocks? the mechanics where I live want $1800 to change them out with Bilsteins.
I did the work with a friend. We started at 7pm and finished at 1am. Took one break for a Power Bar.

Now that I know what I'm doing, I could do it much faster. But there were all the unexpected glitches like how the hell do you hold the top of the piston and turn the nut behind the air box when the nut has been on there for 21 years and I'm the size of a hobbit and really can't reach back there and have any kind of ability to torque it...

I would say it's a 5hr job for most first timers if you don't run into problems. 4 hrs if you have a clue what you're doing.

Does $1800 include the shocks? Lowering? Alignment? Corner balancing?
$600 or a little less for the shocks
$90/hr for 4hrs = $360
$300 for lowering/aligning (this can vary tremendously from one shop to another)

$1800 sounds too high to me. I didn't check with any shops. I just picked up a wrench and started acting like I knew what I was doing.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
yogi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1,800. is to much just to replace the shocks. I had mine replaced 2 years ago with Bilstein HD. I also had turbo tie rods installed, new front wheel bearings, an Elephant racing strut brace, and an oil change with Mobil 1. The total cost was $1,700. The car had 112,000 miles on it at the time. The rear shocks were shot and just self collasped upon removal. The fronts you could hand push and they would come back, but just bearly.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Thanks 911vet,
Do you have any picture of it, the way it sit now?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 911vet
It does sit higher. I didin't measure before and after so I can't give you a quantitative answer. It is a noticeable difference. My car sat so low before, I had assumed the previous owner had lowered it below European specs. Now I know it was just sitting on totally worn out shocks.

I would like it to sit a little lower than it currently does. I plan to lower it and have it aligned after the Porsche Parade trip.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rnln
Thanks 911vet,
Do you have any picture of it, the way it sit now?
Thanks.
I'll take some and post before and after pics. (will do on Saturday most likely)
Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by swing2hard
How much money do you think you have into changing the shocks? the mechanics where I live want $1800 to change them out with Bilsteins.

Originally Posted by yogi
$1,800. is to much just to replace the shocks. .
Way, way, way, way, WAY too much!
More than twice what I paid, about two months ago or Sports and HD's
In fact, my total bill from my wrench was LESS than if I had bought the shocks from Pelican and DID IT MYSELF.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

thanks.

I'll take some and post before and after pics. (will do on Saturday most likely)
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

....I wish I could tell you how to test yours before you go to the trouble of removing. But honestly, everyone who "tested" mine said they seemed ok. Man, they were not ok. I'm not exaggerating, the Boge inserts I removed could be compressed with one finger and they didn't even think about rebounding.

The difference in handling is amazing. Far more improvement than I could have believed just a change in shocks could make...
That was my experience too...car did the "bounce test" OK, but only after the HD/Sports went on did I realize how bad the original, worn out Boges were in comparison.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Way, way, way, way, WAY too much!
More than twice what I paid, about two months ago or Sports and HD's
In fact, my total bill from my wrench was LESS than if I had bought the shocks from Pelican and DID IT MYSELF.
So where did he get the parts from?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

go to Steve w, order some shocks, puet em in and then take it to get it alligned and lowered .. AT A DIFFERENT SHOP !!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
yogi
Advanced

A place that sells shocks for a low price advertises in Panorama. www.shox.com

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
jwilson95
Racer

911Vet/Shannon-

I can't agree more. My 89 Cab had original Boge's on it with only 33k, but they were shot in front and totally gone in the back when I bought it. I put the HD's on and new tires with the 930 tie rods with an alignment and was originally happy, but now after the tires/shocks/system has some miles on it, I am ecstatic. It is night/day difference.

Give your car some time and miles on the ride height issue. I thought my car looked like an SUV initially, but it has settled in well to it's original ride height before the change if not just a hair higher.

+1 on $1800 being too much. I had the shocks, tie rods and an alignment done for $1500 installed with tax, etc.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwilson95
I put the HD's on and new tires with the 930 tie rods with an alignment and was originally happy, but now after the tires/shocks/system has some miles on it, I am ecstatic. It is night/day difference.
That's great to hear and very encouraging. I'm getting new tires after I return from the Porsche Parade. My plan is Goodyear Eagles GS1-D3. I had them on my BMW Z3 and was very happy.

I'm jealous of your 930 tie rods. When I had a PPI done before I purchased, the shop said it needed new tie rods. I had them do the work before I drove to Atlanta to pick up the car. They said they would install turbo tie rods... got the car home and found out they installed OE tie rod ends. ARRRGGHH!!! I paid as much as turbos should have cost.

I do most of my own work now!

Originally Posted by jwilson95
Give your car some time and miles on the ride height issue. I thought my car looked like an SUV initially, but it has settled in well to it's original ride height before the change if not just a hair higher.
I will take your advice. The car will get a shake down on the Tail of the Dragon next week. When I get home, I'll have it lowered and aligned if need be. If the current alignment is off, it can eat up my Dunlops and that will give me an excuse to get the new rubber
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

My plan is Goodyear Eagles GS1-D3.
Great great tire from what I hear. When I need new rubbers I will either get those or the kuhmo SPTs.

So why did you choose the bisteins HDs and not the sports? I am still confused by all the differences. Some are meant for Bilstein OEs and some are meant for Boge OEs.....????

-matt

Edit: I had the tires of today and looked. Both front ones sage 'boge'. Does that mean I need to get boge replacements? And I think it might be time to replace them. They seem to be a bit oily.

Last edited by old man neri; 06-21-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Default BEFORE and AFTER PICS

As promised... before and after pics. After driving the car for a while, it settled and you can barely see a difference in the photos. The angle is slightly different and makes the after look just a tiny bit lower than it is. But, I can barely see a difference.

BEFORE (top) and AFTER (bottom).
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Got a new car! (really just new Bilstein HDs)