Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got a new car! (really just new Bilstein HDs)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another angle

BEFORE (top) and AFTER (bottom)
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job. My wife want me to take her for a drive.....NO! It's 112 out. I'll stay here and enjoy yours just fine thank you. Is the rear camber ok? You are probebly better off now. Did the roll bar go in recently too?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Great job. My wife want me to take her for a drive.....NO! It's 112 out. I'll stay here and enjoy yours just fine thank you. Is the rear camber ok? You are probebly better off now. Did the roll bar go in recently too?
Wow, it's nasty hot there. Rear camber hasn't been checked. I'm gonna put it off till I return from the Parade. (my timing is a little off there, huh?!)

I bought the roll bar used and picked it up in Nashville on the way home from buying the car in Atlanta. Worked out pretty cool... I was literally driving past the guy's house on the way home with the car.

The roll bar helps stiffen things up. I've driven with it on and off and there is a difference.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Two last pics of how it sits today (after the HDs and after a few test drives).
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd say an inch or so too high, but then, I like 'em low.

Ian
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
So why did you choose the bisteins HDs and not the sports? I am still confused by all the differences.
Acording to the Elephant Racing website, Sports are 25% firmer than HDs. But it has been suggested to me several times that HDs are a better choice if you have stock t-bars. Sports are best suited for upgraded t-bars (over 22/28mm).

I plan to replace my t-bars one day, but I won't go up in size that much because I have a Cabriolet and frankly... making it too stiff may work against the natural flex of the car and even result in structural damage (that may all be fantasy, but it's my logic and I'm stickin' to it).

I opted against mixing HDs and Sports because it seemed counterintuitive to have different oscillation rates on the front and rear. Yes - I will do most anything to reduce the dreaded and scary oversteer. But I'm thinking a better anti-roll bar might be the thing for that.

Some are meant for Bilstein OEs and some are meant for Boge OEs.....????
Nope. If you have Boge struts, you can use the Bilstein HDs or Sports. Or you could use Boge again.
You will completely remove and replace the rear strut. So you can put anything back there in its place.

On the front, the bottom half of the strut will remain. It is a cylinder that holds the new insert. You'll remove the damper inside and drop in the new Bilstein. The new green dust cover that comes on the Bilstein will replace the old black Boge dust cover. (the dust cover is the top half of the strut cylinder that you see when you look under your car)

As far as I know, the only issue with fitmit is if you have Koni struts... then only Koni will fit in there.

Great great tire from what I hear. When I need new rubbers I will either get those or the kuhmo SPTs.
I had the Goodyears on my Z3 and they were incredible. Best tire I ever had. WOW. And the coolest thing about them is they are nearly as good in the rain as on the dry. I was amazed.

I am very eager to wear out my Dunlops to get the Eagle F1. I recommend them highly. The only complaint I've heard is the sidewall is too soft for autocrossing. I'm not sure that's the case, and I'm more interested in the stick to the road since I'm not going to corner as sharp as is required when moving through pylons.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, you know they are high when the front toe hooks are not bent over. Come on Shannon, smash the hooks already.

Give us a fender height front and back.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by imcarthur
I'd say an inch or so too high, but then, I like 'em low.

Ian
DOH! OK, you've convinced me (that was easy wasn't it?!)
When I get back from the Porsche Parade and from slaying the Dragon, I'll set it down to European specs and get it aligned.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Wow, you know they are high when the front toe hooks are not bent over. Come on Shannon, smash the hooks already.

Give us a fender height front and back.
Dude, I kicked in the front valance just to give it that low slung look!
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 PM
jwilson95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find the Goodyear's in a 245/45/16 or I would probably have bought them. Many of the guys' on the Boxster board love them also.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwilson95
I couldn't find the Goodyear's in a 245/45/16 or I would probably have bought them. Many of the guys' on the Boxster board love them also.

Jeff
I'm replacing mine with 205/55-16 (front) and 225/50-16 (rear) -- available from TireRack.

They do come in 245/50-16 if that isn't too tall for you.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shannon,
I don't see much different. Look like the front is a little higher now. The rear stay the same. Are you sure you only replaced the shock/strut, without touching any ride high adjustment?
Did you actually measure the height before you replaced them?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rnln
Thanks Shannon,
I don't see much different. Look like the front is a little higher now. The rear stay the same. Are you sure you only replaced the shock/strut, without touching any ride high adjustment?
Did you actually measure the height before you replaced them?
The car does still sit a little higher with the Bilsteins than the Boge. But the difference isn't much now that it has settled a bit.

I haven't adjusted the ride height. I probably will after more driving and settling.

Sorry - I didn't think to do any measurements before the new ones went on.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you adjust the height, you need to corner balance prior to doing alignment

Quick Reply: Got a new car! (really just new Bilstein HDs)