Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fast blinking right turn indicator- 85 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Rob's968Cab
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast blinking right turn indicator- 85 911

I'm stuck trying to diagnose the cause of a fast blinker! Since it's only the right side , I'm not suspicious of anything ahead of the switch. The right bulb is intact with filaments that have continuity. I've tried exchanging the flasher module (from a 944) with no improvement. Wondering about a ground issue.

Thought I'd post a query before I tear apart the steering column. Will also do a search of the site.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob
Old 06-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's usually a symptom that indicates a defective or incorrect or missing bulb on that side of the car. It's a safety thing...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I replace all the light bulbs on that side....even if they look like they are working.
abe
Old 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 for what Pete said.

I had an intermittent problem like that. Turns out the bulb was sitting loose in it's housing so it would only work sometimes. Look for corrosion and what not in the sockets, it can happen if moisture gets in there.

My first step would be to turn on the blinker and physically look to see if every blinker light is working and go from there.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Rob's968Cab
6th Gear

Thanks, all. Here's what I've tried so far today. Replaced all bulbs in the turn signal system even thou all were working. Checked that all new bulbs are illuminating - all light up but RIGHT side is still blinking fast. FYI Checker Auto's computer recommended bulb number 7506 for rears and 7528 for fronts which is what I replaced. The Porsche Tech Spec manual specifies bulb #1073 for rears (USA) and 1034 form fronts (USA) so I'll get some from the dealer tomorrow.
Other thoughts?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob's968Cab
Thanks, all. Here's what I've tried so far today. Replaced all bulbs in the turn signal system even thou all were working. Checked that all new bulbs are illuminating - all light up but RIGHT side is still blinking fast. FYI Checker Auto's computer recommended bulb number 7506 for rears and 7528 for fronts which is what I replaced. The Porsche Tech Spec manual specifies bulb #1073 for rears (USA) and 1034 form fronts (USA) so I'll get some from the dealer tomorrow.
Other thoughts?
Did you change the bulbs on the opposite side too? I had a fast blinker when a bulb went out, but I had to replace both sides to get it to work. Also, it seemed that the contact points weren't very substantial... I scraped mine to get a little better contact. You might double check that.

Last edited by 911vet; 06-16-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

well I am just an idiot but i would swap all the bulbs from one side to the other.. not for any good readson .. just because .....well...... I'm an idiot ....
Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
well I am just an idiot but i would swap all the bulbs from one side to the other.. not for any good readson .. just because .....well...... I'm an idiot ....
ha ha!! yes: does it move with the load!!

I may need to (re)glance at the circuit..

Better be all ears with Pete....

Best,
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Rob's968Cab
6th Gear

OK, now all bulbs have been replaced, all socket contacts cleaned and stretched. Spray contact cleaner applied to sockets and all fuses. Reset /cleaned all turn signal fuses- NO CHANGE- still fast blink- right side only and both bulbs lit.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe the gizmo (blinker relay) that controls the blinker speed is a little cooked. I really don't know, sorry. You could always do what Ice said and swap the bulbs from side to side.....

-matt
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

OK, now all bulbs have been replaced, all socket contacts cleaned and stretched. Spray contact cleaner applied to sockets and all fuses. Reset /cleaned all turn signal fuses- NO CHANGE- still fast blink- right side only and both bulbs lit.

Dude, it's trying to tell you something. The next time you come to a fork in the road, I'd turn right if I were you.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Generally blink speed on only one side is telling you that resistance in the circuit is incorrect on the affected side. Fast blink means too little total resistance, slow blink means too much total resistance. Possibly the wrong rating bulbs or missing resistance in the circuit. (i.e. short bypassing a load, broken filament in a bulb you haven't checked yet, ground problem on that side, etc..) If the LT side blinks at a normal rate, look at what bulbs light up. Are they ALL lighting on the RT side too, or just some of them? Try giving the circuit a secondary ground - does that help? Are the bulbs all identical LT to RT? Did you try swapping LT to RT, as previously suggested? If all these pan out as not the source, it's time to break out the DVOM and start checking source voltages and voltage drop across each load.

Quick Reply: Fast blinking right turn indicator- 85 911