Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 AM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooling question

Just curious - if 2 or 3 quarts down, given the 13 quarts when full, I'd imagine that the vital parts are still being sprayed and, if oil temp is not high, no big deal?

Mine doesn't use oil, but, if it did, just curious.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You'd be OK if you're not running real high revs, and making a lot of hard turns.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:47 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Whoa, that means it won't even register on the dip stick???. I guess if you keep it below 3K and short, real short trip should be fine but damn not for a prolonged period
Old 06-14-2008, 12:49 AM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You'd be OK if you're not running real high revs, and making a lot of hard turns.
That's what I figured. Stopped by Joe's yesterday - said you were in.

WHOA! He had 2 911S's and a genuwiiiine RS in the shop, the two S's belonging to Eade Hopkinson and the RS to Eade's storage neighbor (Joe takes care of Eades cars). Glad you stopped by. What was your impression?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 AM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Whoa, that means it won't even register on the dip stick???. I guess if you keep it below 3K and short, real short trip should be fine but damn not for a prolonged period
Oh, I know, but think about it - all that oil to pump into the moving parts, but.....actually, the majority of it being used for cooling (I'm sure you're aware that the motor is more oil than air cooled). If temp is normal, big deal? I ALWAYS keep mine mid marker though! Can't let my inquiring mind do what might be a really stupid thing!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Been down 3 quarts before and it was never a contributor to higher oil temps. There's still a lot of oil in there. But I always made a habit of carrying at least 2-3 quarts in the trunk at all times...just in case.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DARISC
That's what I figured. Stopped by Joe's yesterday - said you were in.

WHOA! He had 2 911S's and a genuwiiiine RS in the shop, the two S's belonging to Eade Hopkinson and the RS to Eade's storage neighbor (Joe takes care of Eades cars). Glad you stopped by. What was your impression?

Nice shop, and Joe was a nice guy. Thanks for the tip! There's no way around it, I'm going to have to swap my exhaust totest. He said with my headers, a rig like you have won't work. I'll probably do this in July, but I'm going to see if there's a local stock cat in good shape I can borrow.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Nice shop, and Joe was a nice guy. Thanks for the tip! There's no way around it, I'm going to have to swap my exhaust totest. He said with my headers, a rig like you have won't work. I'll probably do this in July, but I'm going to see if there's a local stock cat in good shape I can borrow.
Yeah, I've got SSI's - pretty easy swap.
Oh - good luck on the Palomar Mtn. run on Sunday (don' wanna be a wet blanket, but I won't go near there on a Sunday - or a Saturday!, in tourist season! (maybe at 5 ayem )).

Quick Reply: Oil cooling question