Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much?

I just drained the tranny to complete my 63k service on my '86 Carrera and found a little bit more than what I expected on the drain plug. I need to go back and check the records but I think it's been quite a while since the tranny was drained so not sure how many years are on the drain plug. I'm not noticing any major trouble with the 915 other than it requiring a little finesse to select first sometimes but nothing horrendous.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Are there any large chunks? What kind of fluid did you refill with?

If there are no large chunks I wouldn't worry. Your choices are either to keep driving it or get a rebuild. Personally I would just keep driving it. But I am by no means an expert.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I agree with Matt. Should be very fine.. almost like a powder... At least thats how mine was... Im not an expert but recently did mine...

I have a 915 and I used Swepco...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Oh you guys can't see the pics in the post. Yeah there's the normal powder surrounding the magnet and filling up the area surrounding the magnet and there's some larger slivers say less than a 1/16 long radiating out from the magnet. Then one larger sliver less than 1/16 wide but maybe 3/32 long that sits across the gap. I wouldn't call them big chunks but something certainly got a little chewed up. I'll do a search around and see if I can find a pic online that looks similar.

I'm refilling with Swepco.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Antony.
Instructor

There's a couple of pics on this page.

My plug looks like the one to the right of figure 4 but with a slightly larger piece. My biggest chunk is a lot smaller than the chunk in figure 5.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, I saw the original pics in the post but not in your link. It's hard to tell in the pics if they are just fine particles aligned by the magnet to look like larger pieces or if they are in fact larger pieces.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
Well, I saw the original pics in the post but not in your link. It's hard to tell in the pics if they are just fine particles aligned by the magnet to look like larger pieces or if they are in fact larger pieces.
If you got really crazy and spread out the junk on the magnet, I think it's much smaller particals aligned by the magnet to look much larger. Kinda like what Matt said......
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Yeah some of the other stuff is filings that have coalesced. I added an arrow to point to the one solid sliver that's bugging me. It seems to shift fine with the usual finesse req'd for a 915 and putting in Swepco didn't make drastic changes. Not sure if that indicates that I'm relatively wear free.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Those bits do not look terrible. Is it shifting okay? Is it down-shifting okay? If you get up to aboutt 20 MPH and turn the motor off for a split-second, do you hear any "growling" from the back seat area? (Do this only in a really safe place.)

When my trans was rebuilt, I had a severely chaifed roller-bearing race that must have left some chunks on the plug, but was pitted and gouged severely, causing a growling at 20 MPH and a low-pitched whirring at higher speeds.

So bits might be from syncro's, dog-teeth, or bearings. Hard to say which. So, listen, feel, evaluate. And try using some Swepco before an expensive re-build.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Seems to be shifting fine. I took it out for a long run in the hills last night and it shifted perfectly both up shifts and some big down shifts(with matching revs of course ;-) ). I never force it into any gear and always use the finger pressure rule for getting it into first/reverse.

Quick Reply: How much is too much?