Unbelievable....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable....

But true!!!

I went out to our Toyota 4Runner to run an errand to the store Sunday morning. When I started up the engine, I heard a series of loud explosions coming from underneith the car that scared my wife out of her pants and had the dog running for cover. I turned off the key.

I said to my wife: "Sounds like you have a giant hole in the muffler." She said: "impossible. I drove it yesterday and it was fine."

I crawled under the car to see if in fact there was a hole in the muffler/tailpipe. What I found: two flanges ... and a missing Cat. Converter!!!

Some thieving B@STARD had crawled under our car ... in our driveway ... and unbolted the Cat from the 4Runner!!! THE NERVE!!

Now, the cat. isn't terribly expensive to replace ... but the convenience factor is huge. The cops said there has been a rash of Cat. Converter thefts lately. One theory: the platinum inside the cat is worth $$. Come on. Really?

So, if you have a bolt-on cat. converter (ours was 4-bolts/two flanges for that Toyota model) either bend the bolts over or weld the flanges with a tack-weld to prevent theft.

.... Still can't believe it.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have PAID a thief to remove the cat off of my 911...what a PITA that was !

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

It's been happening here for the last 12 months.

There has been a lot of reports if SUV's losing their catalytic converters while they are parked at the local repair shop using portable welding equipment and pipe cutters.

Next target for SUV's is the perps drilling holes in the gas tank, takes a few minutes with a cordless drill and gas can.

John
Old 06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Keith, that was hilarious!

BlackPearl: it's unbelievable but so true. I think ABC or some other large network did a special on this awhile back. It's definitely happening due to the cost of the precious metals inside the Cat.
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

Yes.. SUV's are a target because they are easy to crawl under. The thief probably got at least $100 to recycle it.

I would recommend not tack welding them in place though, most criminals are more than willing to cut them out anyway... At least by removing the bolts they did not ruin the rest of your exhaust system. My frien's 4runner had the cat cut off despite the fact that the bolts could be removed easily.

I hate criminals.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to hear that.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, it's been in the paper here also, along with drilling holes in gas tanks, and, get this, breaking into houses that have gone into foreclosure, and stealing the wiring out of the walls!!! Bastards, one and all. Next thing that will happen; our insurance premiums will go up. Sheeeesh...
Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Local church near my office had the copper coils stolen from the A/C units the other weekend causing all the meat & dairy products stored for the "food Kitchen" to go to waste

John
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
bargamon
Advanced

I got real copper gutters on my house. Gonna have to put an alarm on them!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

How much copper is used to make each penny (before zinc was used)?

John
Old 06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I'll have to keep an eye on my wife's 4runner. But I think there are less Mexicans here than in Mexifornia.
I dont want to hear it....the largest % of theft in Cali is from illegal's....so spare me the racist comments please. When I was working for a custom home builder as a Project Manager, the homes I built would get broken into and all large copper stolen out of them (ac copper, main electircal). The two times that we caught the thieves.....they were illegal mexicans.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KC911
I would have PAID a thief to remove the cat off of my 911...what a PITA that was !

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Funny as all get out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to check with the Toyota Master Tech Son-in-law on this one...UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KC911

Keith
'88 CE coupe
X2. It took me about 4hrs and a lot of acetylene. But I guess if I didn't care about the flanges I could have cut it off in a few minutes with a torch.

-matt
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,020 Posts

People are discussing the idea of holding the metal recycling plants more accountable when buying products from people. When someone off the street shows up with a couple of CATs, it's pretty obvious where it came from.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:24 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
People are discussing the idea of holding the metal recycling plants more accountable when buying products from people. When someone off the street shows up with a couple of CATs, it's pretty obvious where it came from.
Around here they take you plate numbers, especially if you show up with a bunch of brand new, randomly cut copper wires...etc. It's just not worth it to them, they make a lot less per pound as as the thief does.

-matt

Quick Reply: Unbelievable....