Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

80 SC valve cover oil leak -- video

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 SC valve cover oil leak -- video

Well my oil leak finally got worse. I just put car on road for this season and now a real oil leak. I use the heavy rubber gaskets from Weltmeister , about 54$ for the set. I installed them last year and seemed to work.

Anyway , big leak this year, see leak in video. I removed the valve cover (TURBO type) and where the leak was there was a fiber nub (remains of previous gasket), that was barely visible, mabe a 32cd wide and you could just feel it with your finger. This minor imperfection gives me a whole new meaning of clean, if it doesn't shine it's not clean!
I have a nub pix that I'll post when I pull it off my other camera.

The following are the leak segments taken with a Old Sony Mavica. I'm now very carefully cleaning the engine and valve cover so I'll put on the new silicon bead seal tomorrow. The leak is on the drivers side , topside , extreme front of cover. Nice to find a real cause. BTW I retorqued with no effect.

http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

leaking from the top ?
very unusual .. are you sure it is the valve covers ?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I almost can't figure out what I am looking at. It looks to me like the driver's side exhaust valve cover with the O2 sensor. I did turn my head upside down though....I can't believe it would just flow like that. weard. So you got it fixed?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Yeah it looks like the driver's side exhaust valve cover. Amazing how it flows out so quickly. I'm gonna take a more critical look at my surfaces before I close her up next time.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

It seems that a bit of pressure builds in the VC? My oil gauge is pinned at startup 5+ DRUCK.
I would think that the oil should free-flow out the return tubes
I put a pix of the interior of the valve cover and
nub (all be it a teribble photo).

http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/ (pix =nub)

While the photo more or less shows the nub it really looks like a discoloration, until you run your finge over it. The nub is organic and cleaned up with some paint remover and a synthetic scrubber material.

-- view
-- remove rear drivers side tire
-- you are looking in at the valve cover, the end that is closest to the front of the car.

Last edited by redtdi96; 06-08-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

you should be able to machine/ sand it down if it is a raised area. if it is a gouge try a dab of silicon.

Mine just leaks cause it knows it pisses me off.. no other reason ...
Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
you should be able to machine/ sand it down if it is a raised area. if it is a gouge try a dab of silicon.

Yep,..payback. Mine does me the very same way......it's been so frikin' hot lately, that I don't take her out when temp is scorching....only early AM/late evening @sundown....STILL hot as all get out....1 100 degree day today!! heat index at 105.....

best,
Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

yes I do believe that the Pcars just leak oil to **** you off. Last Spring I rebuilt tranny (well spent 1K on parts), clutch and replaced the oil cooler seals, oil pressure sender, thermo o-ring, F/R crank seals, tranny seals .... all the easy things when the engine is out. I was rather depressed to see any leaks last year, they were just minor but enough to cause a bad smell.

SO after cleaning up the the metal on the engine / VC. new silcon beaded gasket, it does not leak with a simple start up and run for 3- minutes. Tonight when the weather cools a bit (NJ@96 deg) I'll take it for a run to see if I have that leak any more, I have others to play with.

With this learning I will now feel (touch) all surfaces to make sure there are no issues. It's really good to know what seeming minor imperfection can cause a leak. BTW I looked at my old (well 1 yr old) rubber gasket and I saw the indent of the nub in the gasket with a mag glass (I don't wear glasses, maybe I should)
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

You blew up it's airbox.....I would be pissed and getting back at you as well.

-matt
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

Ok so I fixed the first leak that started this post (nub on exhaust valve cover).
http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/leak...st_drivers.MPG

Still had leak, but from a new area which seemed to be same valve cover , but from right corner top (old leak was left corner top). It sure looked like it was coming from valve cover.

So I took off valve cover, removed studs and used my die grinder with a scotch bright head to completely clean valve cover and engine mating surface nice and shiny! tool. I put on a green gasket (not silicon bead) and still had same leak! SO then I ordered a new silicon gasket from Pelican, installed and ...... had the same leak. Ok time to look above. Bottom line the leak was coming from the banjo fitting that was installed with the chain tensioner upgrade in ?? 03. My oil pressure runs at 5 druck +. Anyway I installed coper washers and now I'm leak free on the drivers side. http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/leak_banjo.JPG

SO the immoral to this story is expect the unexpected. My first leak was caused by a nub on the valve cover that could barely be felt with finger
1) thorougly clean the surface of valve cover + engine until it shines, then double check --- use only scotch brite, suggest this :

Silcon gaskets + new nuts + teflon sealer on threads
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_928M=ON

Abrasive pad holder (or use Lisle 22500, but abrasive pad may be a bit much)
http://www.levineautoparts.com/3m052roldisb.html

The pads
http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mrolsurcond3.html

The tool:
http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/tool.JPG

2) check valve cover for warping

3) if you still see leak look elsewhere!
like:
http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/leak_banjo.JPG

I still have the flex oil like Tank to oil cooler leaking but it is clear the the leak is the threaded connection that may need a nudge of new sealing tape
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a big leak. Probably bigger at higher RPM's when the oil pressure is 4-5?

What did you torque at? Pete has said in the past to torque at 18 ft.lbs, not 6 ft.lbs.

I would just use the paper gaskets and spray some KY copper gasket spray on each side and let it dry a few minutes before installing. FWIW, mine leak too! I torqued to 6, but will try 18 this weekend. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

I set my TR to 4 ft lbs, that is the spec that comes with the silicon gaskets. I'll scan this as I suspect no one will believe this setting, but no leaks. The BEntley lists about 6 ft lbs for the standard gaskets.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

Default Finally - finally no more oil leaks.

The first time since 2001 when I bought car I have no oil leaks.

1- you may of seen my video of my first oil leak this year (head of this thread)
traced to a nub on the gasket. solution was to really really clean the engine and valve cover gasket and then put in new gasket. I used the thick silicon welstmiester but think that was over kill.

2- then after above fixed the #1 leak above,to the tune of 80$ new gasket + special cleaning tools I still had a leak.

3- I traced this new leak to oil fed chain tensioner upgrade I did 4-5 years ago. One of the copper washers that seal the connector that supplies the oil to the tensioner just started to leak. It is the banjo fitting that has a copper washer between the engine and compression bolt.
http://spfhs68.com/porsche/leak/leak_banjo.JPG
Anyway I replaced the washer and for the first time in 8 years i have no leaks. My car, which I hardly drive ( I just put the first tank of gas in today 8/2/08 for this year!) runs 5 druck pinned at HW speeds, it drops to 1- druck at idle, so maybe the high oil pressure was too much for the copper seals? Anyway no more pulling into the garagee and smelling burning oil and watching smoke rise from the rear of the car!
SO I'm done-done. Oil leaks are not impossble to fix just got to find them.

Quick Reply: 80 SC valve cover oil leak -- video