Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Custom Valved Shocks - Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Custom Valved Shocks - Seeking Advice

I am seeking advice regarding custom valved shocks for my 88 911 track car that is for club and vintage racing.

I have or am in the process of acquiring a variety of suspension pieces, including:

-Elephant Racing 31mm hollow torsion bars for the rear
-Elephant Racing 23mm hollow torsion bars for the front

-Smart Racing Products 31mm front sway bar
-Smart Racing Products 27mm rear sway bar

I am going to be acquiring four new Bilsteins for the car. Does anybody have any experience or advice regarding the following:

- Smart Racing Products "F30" and "R30 custom valving, which is indicated for "Competition"
- Smart Racing Products "F40" and "R40" custom valving, which is indicated for "GT" cars
- Elephant Racing's custom track only custom valving.

I would appreciate any and all advice.

Mark
Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

www.rennsportsystems.com

ask for Steve Weiner
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the SR f&r30's on our street/track car, and run the f&r40's on our race car. If it's a track only car go with the f & r 40 shocks. Since the shocks are rebuilt when they revalve them you should buy used shocks.

I'm using the S/R 31 fronts & 27 rear sway bars. Make sure you replace the rear sway bar console with the Wevo mounts. The stock ones won't hold up.

'75 Carrera RS look race car, 3.4 twin plug.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
911S3.6
Pro

Your suspension works as an integral system: car weight, tires/wheel combo, hp, play a part in selecting torsion bars, sway bars, bushings, and the compression and rebound settings of revalving shocks.
This cannot be done peicemeal - they all have to work together.
Get advice from an experienced race car builder to build a race car- spend the money only one time!

Steve Weiner did my car, using polyronze bushings and monoballs, t-bar and SRP adj sways,...
but the single biggest change came from Motons.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
BlackPearl
Racer

If you go with Bilsteins you can call them and talk to a tech about custom valving. They will ask all kind of questions and re-valve your shocks very well to order. That's my experience. Worked well in 2 competition P-cars now.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

I have learned I could put a great Moton system on my car. Unfortunately, that is beyond my budget. It has been suggested to me that another option at about half the price would be to run custom valved Bilsteins on the front and JRZ double adjustables on the back. More costly than 4 custom valved Bilsteins, but I am told a better set up. Any comments on that set up vs. going with custom valved Bilsteins all around?

Mark
Old 05-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Mark,

If I might offer a small piece of advice,...........

I'd kindly recommend that you make your choice about suspension system based on guidance from a vendor/provider that you trust rather than choosing something as important as these components are by consensus or committee,....

An experienced and knowledgable shop/vendor offers you the benefit of their long-term experience and support that is really the key to success.

JMHO, so YMMV,

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 06-01-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Take Steve's advice. You have been tormenting over the shock issue for almost a year now. You should let the pros make the decision (within your budget parameters) and invest in some seat time. Otherwise you may be planning your inaugural event for the 2009 season.

Quick Reply: 911 Custom Valved Shocks - Seeking Advice