Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Old 911 Owner Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Old 911 Owner Tutorial

This is for all you New (Old) 911 Owners: (I originally posted on PP)

I recently did a thorough 100+ point check and tutorial from a highly recommended local wrench Callas Rennsport, Torrance, California. Tony Callas (owner) found over 70 issues with my baby and now I have many projects ahead of me but it's all love.

What I want to share is his "in driver seat" tutorial like a reputable dealer would have done when you first bought the P-car. Wow, I never knew she could do all that he did to her:

Cold Start:
1. Clutch In then Start, this will lighten the load on the Starter and Battery when cold.

Warm Up:
1. Aboslutely Do Not Sit and Warm Up, Just drive off!
2. Keep RPMs at or near 3K until the temperature needle hits 7:30 on the temperature guage (between bottom and 2nd mark)
3. Full Operating Temperature is or near 8:00 (2nd mark from bottom), needle hitting above 9:30 or 3rd mark is a major problem.

Carbon Build Up Blow Out, once in awhile for better performance:
1. At Full Operating Temperture (8:00)
2. At stop in 1st, punch the gas and bring your baby up to 6.5 RPMs to Redline (per WI wide body 7.1 RPM's) for 5-7 seconds.

Note: This scared the poop out of me You will notice in the rear view a puff of grey smoke. That is most of the carbon deposits being blown out due to all the low RPMs and lugging. She will run much better. It did on mine.

In fact, he kept her at 6.5 RPMs for about a half a block and advised it would not hurt the 911. In fact the 911 likes high RPMs.

Oil = Heart:
1. Our 911 Oil system is liken to the human heart/blood system, only uses what it needs.
2. As RPM's go up, more oil is needed which will cause the oil level indicator to go down and Druck to go up. So do not worry if oil level drops while accelerating, this is normal.
3. Manually Check Oil Level only on level surface and at Proper Operating Temperature (8:00 o'clock on the temperture guage).
4. Oil "Idiot" Light, even though some may disconnect or not fix it, he recommends it's proper operation only for guidance to safeguard the engine.

Shifting:
1. Never, ever pop out of gear this will damage the gears. Always insure the Clutch is engaged prior to shifting.
2. Shift smoothly and do not force shift into gears, he stated even professional racers do not shift any faster.
3. Ignore the "Shift Up" Arrow, Just shift between 3-5K RPMs

BTW, he is an ex-Professional Rennsport Racer, I think he may know what he is talking about.

E-Brake:
1. Adjust to 5 clicks

Ashtray:
1. Get a Coin Purse and Stick it in the Glove Box where it belongs. Hey I don't smoke OK

Fuel:
1. Only Premium Brand 91+ Octane or Higher if you can find it (there is 100 Octane at the Track F.Y.I.)

Tires:
1. There are actual dates on our tires showing how old they trully are, 4-5 digit Code. Next tire purchase ask to see the manufactured date, every tire must have it.

Intermitent Wiper Dial:
I never knew I had that, I use it all the time now so simple so convinent to regulate wiper so they won't stutter.

Per our RWebb on PP:
Originally Posted by RWebb
A "few" things to do when you buy an old Porsche...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...54#post2955054

Please forgive if this has been posted before, could not find in search tool.
Note: your year 911 may differ so this only a suggestion, check with your wrench for guidance.

Enjoy your New Old Porsche
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Carbon Build Up Blow Out, once in awhile for better performance:
1. At Full Operating Temperture (8:00)
2. At stop in 1st, punch the gas and bring your baby up to 6.5 RPMs to Redline (per WI wide body 7.1 RPM's) for 5-7 seconds.

Note: This scared the poop out of me You will notice in the rear view a puff of grey smoke. That is most of the carbon deposits being blown out due to all the low RPMs and lugging. She will run much better. It did on mine.

In fact, he kept her at 6.5 RPMs for about a half a block and advised it would not hurt the 911. In fact the 911 likes high RPMs.
This looks like something I shoud do in front of my ex-neighbors house at 3 AM

John
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I first got my car and it required some extra warm up, I did this in front of the hotel we had just stayed at while my wife finished up at the ftont desk. some A-wipe dressed me down. Something about matching shirt, matching Porsche, rich kid. The funny part was that his VW cost him more than my 911. Close to twice and he was far more stuck on himself than I.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never subscribed to the 50-point, 100-point, or more, inspection, preferring to stick to a logical order instead. I've gone out on the road in customer cars so low on oil that the rod bearings were in jeopardy, cars on which the tires were so low on air that a particular handling issue would have been impossible to correctly diagnose, and cars that leaked so much oil that they caught on fire while I drove them. After events like those logic took over, and a set of pre-drive requirements were adhered to without exception. For those of you that are not aware of an early post of mine (link below) you might find it helpful - there is cross-over between a PPI and a "pre-service/what's wrong with it" inspection. A driver's tutorial can also be helpful, but don't ever accept one opinion, no matter what they claim their experience to be. My wife, probably ten years ago, was scheduled for instruction from Milt Minter at Willow Springs Raceway. After he was taken ill and retired to his trailer, an alternate instructor was assigned, and after her first session my wife said to me, "Pete, he's got my hands below 3:00 and 9:00 on the wheel, it feels all wrong." (This from the girl who would, a few years later, excel at The Porsche Driving Experience at Road Atlanta Raceway.) Well, of course she was right, and I got myself reassigned to her for the rest of the event. She even impressed Milt, who watched with me from the sideline later in the day, judging her brake points, turn in and apex selection.

Never accept a single opinion, and read that Owner's Manual in your glove box, which answers many of the above points. As your knowledge base grows you will gradually separate the wheat from the chaff and become one with your car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ter+Zimmermann
Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Never accept a single opinion..."
now, THAT'S an opinion with which I whole-heartedly concur!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
gerry100
Pro

Don't drop the dipstick down the filler neck.

Make sure it's in that little tube before you let go.

Many are embarassed to admit knowing this.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, lotsa people think that rattling noise is coming from the G50 tranny...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear from you Pete. I definitely learned valuable information and gained some good habits when working for you 20 years ago, thank you again. Tony
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

While I also think that warmup is not necessary I don't believe in driving off immediately either. I always
give the engine 30 seconds or so to get the oil moving and the pressure up before putting it under load.
The majority of engine wear takes place at start up and I'm pretty sure the air-cooled Porsche is no
exception.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Originally Posted by TCallas
Good to hear from you Pete. I definitely learned valuable information and gained some good habits when working for you 20 years ago, thank you again. Tony
Tony? Is that you, Oh Man I am so happy you are here. I hope you don't mind my little testmonial about you.

Gentelmen & Ladies in SoCali, don't look any further, here is your Baby's Mechanic of Choice. a Peter Zimmermann deciple too boot? Oh boy Wayne should have mentioned that and I would have been there sooner.

He has saved my baby's but many times.

Thanks Tony ( & Peter Zimmermann for sharing your knowledge with such a Master Mechanic)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem at all, I really enjoy helping you guys out when my time permits. It's really interesting looking into the shop at this moment. We have a 911 Speedster, a 959, a 356C and of course many 911's and 993's. What a lineup to view.

Quick Reply: New Old 911 Owner Tutorial