Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Road trip necessities??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
CubSmurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip necessities??

Greetings all, I am contemplating an 8hr road trip tonight after work. Is there anything I should absolutely bring with the 911? I have a small air compressor for flats. Anything else essential I should bring? Will be going directly west on 40 from Memphis to Oklahoma City. Any rennlisters along the way in case I have problems??
Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Marty916
Instructor

A spare DME relay, a can or two of Slime, a quart of oil, some basic tools, a cute blonde and a .45 .... You might give the car a quick once over to check belts, fluid levels, wiper blades, air pressures, etc.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I ran 800+ miles from Michigan to RI a couple of years ago.

Flashlight. Extra Wiper Blade if rain's in the forecast. Extra Fan Belt, Toolkit to change, in case you throw a belt. Couple of qts of oil. Cell Phone. Rag (I use a microfiber towel) in the cabin in case of inside windshield fog. Water, for you. Jump Pack. Last time I attempted a long trip my alt went. A Jump pack would have gotten me further to a service shop or back home (wasn't THAT far from home), rather than needing a tow. I dunno. I usually just go for it anyway.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Originally Posted by CubSmurf
Will be going directly west on 40 from Memphis to Oklahoma City. Any rennlisters along the way in case I have problems??

I can provide some help if needed, but not until you get to Oklahoma City. But seriously I do have tools etc. if you discover something amiss. And there's 3-4 of us that often get together on weekends. PM and I can send my mobile.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

All that + credit card, cell, first aid kit (or latex gloves if you need to help someone else), and a camera. Sunscreen maybe.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did an 800 mile trip last year and didn't take anything extra. Depends on the car, but it worked out fine for me. I did carry a list of contact numbers along the route in case of troubles...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 PM
CubSmurf
Intermediate

on the road now smart phones rock! so far so good! car is ruuning strong and smooth. traffic is lighter than i expected! gas prices may be having bigger impact that expected. joseph...will you get me your number? rather be safe than sorry! might make a stop in okc anyway! would be cool to meet a rennlister think good thoughts as i drive!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 AM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

coke (in cans or bottles) and cheez-its.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

complete set of fuses and extra flashlight batteries/bulbs...

AAA card....

Best,
Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
CubSmurf
Intermediate

Car made it without any hiccups!! Was a great drive! Only issue was me getting tired!! I noticed the cruise slowly burns off speed....after about 5-10 minutes of driving...i notice i have lost 1-2mph. Sounds like a vacuum thing to me...any ideas where to start looking? or is that just part of these cars?? Thanks all!!!!!! I love this car!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Not sure about your cruise issue.

A few of us doing some light maintenance stuff at my house. Hit my mobile if ya want to meet up while you're here.

Originally Posted by CubSmurf
Car made it without any hiccups!! Was a great drive! Only issue was me getting tired!! I noticed the cruise slowly burns off speed....after about 5-10 minutes of driving...i notice i have lost 1-2mph. Sounds like a vacuum thing to me...any ideas where to start looking? or is that just part of these cars?? Thanks all!!!!!! I love this car!

Quick Reply: Road trip necessities??