six hours for a leakdown, HA

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default six hours for a leakdown, HA

This confirms once again that I will never take a car of mine to any repair shop unless it's under warranty.
Local pca guy that all those guys use to change their oil was/is busy till june. Great guy, just busy.
drop car off nine am at sorta respected place

Hi i need a leakdown for a buyer, something on paper.
ok
call me if you need it overnight
ok

call at 430 pm

we didn't do a leakdown but we did a compression check and the numbers look good

what happened

the tech said he would need six hours to do a leakdown.

ok, I'll be right over.

What do you say to someone, a shop owner, that really does know more than you about most cars but says something very stupid?
I only said that if you can't take that intercooler off in 30 minutes i wouldn't want you working on my car anyway.
OH but the cool thing is I paid someone 90 dollars to do a compression check.
I told him I could videotape my girlfriend doing a compression check and send that to the buyer.
And I very much doubt they did the 1 2 3 side. I can change my plugs without moving the intercooler, but I doubt they made the effort.
I'm in a decent mood now, but i was so f ing pissed off wasting a day like that.

It's like banging my head against a wall.

Last edited by J. Brinkley; 05-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Jerry, in defense of the tech (Somewhat-informed devil's advocate here), a) they're going to want to take their time & not do damage to a high-end exotic; b) they're going to find that yours is a custom setup, and might not properly fit the bill for a "book" estimate, so they'll rough upwards to cover themselves; c) not in defense, but he probably got a little skeered with your setup.

I'm sure you'll find a place that'll get your leakdown done satisfactorily for you, take a deep breath & have a beer. I'd love to be in your neck of the woods & have you try to sell me your car. I wouldn't mind experiencing it first hand. Heck, might even be successful if I sold mine.

Good luck man.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

it's all good now, thanks Fred, he's taking it as is. Fingers crossed. I did promise that if anything funny happened after he got it I'd help out with fixing anything he thought needed fixing. Of all the cars I've sold I want this one to be right..
I could have had a 600 dollar bill without me even knowing about it. I should be happy, and I am I guess.
this is just me bitching you guys. I get bent pretty easily, I shouldn't I know. I'm a little tweaked my car will be gone soon. I've never had a car this long and it's gonna be gone soon, it feels weird
Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I got you. FWIW, I was ballparked $450 for a regular (no intercooler in da way) leakdown on my 911.

Glad you're ok with the sale though.

Best wishes to you & her new owner as well!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Is the buyer someone that already knows 911's or a new comer? So if they don't really know how to drive it and something lets go(missed shift over-rev) are you still going to help them repair the car??? The reason I ask, it just appeared that you gave them a blanket type of promise to fix it if it breaks:

"I did promise that if anything funny happened after he got it I'd help out with fixing anything he thought needed fixing."

I hope all goes well with the car and with the new owner. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really won't say much, he's around and online. But things will be fine. The car's going to England.
But ya I gave him some say about what happens the day he picks it up.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Hi Jerry, that is good to know. What part of Laf fi et are you in? My best friends family was from there and he and I would go visit from time to time. Good luck with the sale, Tony.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

behind the toyota dealer by the mall. been here almost 11 years now.
I'm dropping the car off at the docks in texas on tuesday.

has anyone ever put an extra set of seats in the back of a 911?
I'm thinking about renting a trailer instead of driving it over, probably not though, would cost the same as a rental car I assume
Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Jerry, I was able to upside-down one in the pass. front seat (in my cab, can't remember if the top was up or down, sorry). Not sure about the back seat area though.

Quick Reply: six hours for a leakdown, HA