Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ottawa - Manitoba, I made it. Pic time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Ottawa - Manitoba, I made it. Pic time!!!

So I made it. I left at about 10am on Saturday, got here at about noon local. I only took a 2hr nap around 3am. Nothing wen wrong with the car, it performed perfectly. The trip was a lot of fun, the roads from Sudbury, On. to the Manitoba boarder are a lot of fun. Mostly 4ht gear high rpm to both climb the hills and then engine brake on the way down. The only thing that scared me are the moose. I saw one that was alive and then one that was dead on the road. Although, the dead one did not give it's life in vain, a police officer had to spend the entire night parked behind the carcass with it's lights flashing to warn other drivers, that dead moose might have very well prevented me from getting a ticket. There were lots of deers, foxes, racoons...etc as well but those don't care me nearly as much.

The only hard part was getting gas. It was hard, especially at night, to find a decent gas station selling premium fuel that was not as old as my car.

Here are pics.

All clean before the trip

It started to rain

It got better.

But I needed a sweater now.

Lots of lakes.

Now warm, nice enough to go topless......but with a sweater.

**** and camera break.

The last of the clouds.

Ummmm, I don't know what this was.

H5s for the win!!!!

It snowed the following morning. I was not impressed.

Manitoba, land of no land features.

The end.

Last edited by old man neri; 05-19-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

funny Matt you can see the growth increasing..

did you go along hwy 17 from Sudbury? and up along the north Shore through Marathon ?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
did you go along hwy 17 from Sudbury? and up along the north Shore through Marathon ?
Simplest route. That and there was almost no traffic past sudbury, I was expecting madness given the long weekend. No cars, one truck every 20 min at night. It was very hard not speed past the fantino limit.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great road trip. I used to drive the north in the 80s but never past the Sault. I was in Kap at 40 below one February though. Great roads & no traffic. The only moose I ever saw on the road was just outside Timmins. I hit a deer once & that killed the deer & the car. A moose is often 3/3.

Ian
Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt, you just turned the tables on all us guys here in the southern territory that drive in the winter. That makes our road trips look perty weak. Now you have all summer while our cars are overheating to rub in your good weather and fantastic road trips. good job and good luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Matt, that looks like it was an awesome trip. Did you move to Manitoba or was this just an adventure with the P-Car?

P.S. I love your interior. I want a can can red interior for my car!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same trip only the opposite direction 8 years ago. Flew to Winterpeg to buy a Volvo V70R, and I was back at my house in Ottawa 22 hours later. Luckily, no "street racing" law at the time Woulda been more fun in the 911 though.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Justin,

I am on a course here at Portage, Mb. for 2 months. I think the red is actually 'lipstick red' and not 'can can red'. Ian and I discovered about a month ago that it is in fact and all-leather interior. I guess they didn't make vinyl in such a weird colour. As for the awesome trip, well the 2nd morning was rough. I was too cheap to pay for a motel so I just pulled over by a picnic area and slept in the car. I wanted to sleep outside on a picnic table but it was raining and I didn't have my bivy bag. When I awoke 2hrs later I was so so so cold. I had left the window open but didn't realize how cold the temperature was, it was below freezing. So that morning was rough but oh well, it go better once the sun was out and it got even better when I made it to my destination and passed out.

Doug,

Ya, it was weird being this far north and west. at 1030pm it's darkish but there is still light in the sky. As for good weather, well it did snow..... It was cold, no chance of overheating. In fact for a while it wasn't reaching it's full normal summer temp. Don't worry, in a few months you will be making funny of me again for having my car snowed in and paying twice as much for shipping as I should.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ottawa to Manitoba

Matt:

At least you're fortunate you don't have to winter there.

That looked like a fun trip. I just did drove my newly acquired 993 from Salt Lake City to Calgary a few weeks ago, but the weather was perfect, and the snow didn't start to fly until a day after it was safely put away in the garage.

Rinty
Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
StanV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean, fortunate to not winter there? Oh sure, we have to put the car to bed for a few months, but there is NOTHING like bundling up, taking your favourite dog, and heading out for a walk during a prairie winter.
As for the trip, I've gone from Regina, SK to Vancouver, BC and back, and my next "road trip" will be to Toronto via North Ontario.
If you haven't driven Canada coast-to-coast, you haven't driven. Doing it in a 911 only makes it better.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Matt, you just turned the tables on all us guys here in the southern territory that drive in the winter. That makes our road trips look perty weak. Now you have all summer while our cars are overheating to rub in your good weather and fantastic road trips. good job and good luck.
Alta Loma is in the Southern Territory?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, you look young, I was figuring with your old man neri name, you were well.. You have some incredible pictures. Sweet trip. Always nice to drive a 911!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Alta Loma is in the Southern Territory?
Alta Loma is one of the small towns incorporated into Rancho Cucamonga @ 1977. If you speak mexican it means high plato or some such jiberish. I am 45 minutes or so out of L.A. so it is Sothern California hence Southern Teritory.

anyway...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:00 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Got ya'...for a moment there, I thought you were referring to a "Canadian territory". In that case, I thought I live in the "Southern territory", and you would be living in the "Western territory",...no?

In any case,..I understand you now.....((nothing to do with Canada))

BTW: Matt,..great pics!!!

Best,
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Default Great ride :-)

Hi Matt,

Glad your trip went well.
I have driven that route many times, in a truck.
It would be fun in a P car.
I don't know if you recall, but we met a short while back at Pfaff.
You let my daughter sit in your car, which resulted in her being a huge Porsche fan . It's really quite funny. From the discussion we had about importing, i decided to go back and revisit the US option and ended up buying a nice 88 coupe that I found in Michigan. I just brought it home yesterday.
Thanks for the time you took to chat that day.

cheers

Quick Reply: Ottawa - Manitoba, I made it. Pic time!!!