Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

best cleaning product for trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 10:23 PM
desoto
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post best cleaning product for trim?

I just finished washing my car today and noticed that the trim of the car (my words for the black vinyl plastic molding in the front, sides and on the whale tail) looks less black and more of a dull finish.

Anybody with a concours bent have a good suggestion to clean this "trim" up? Thanks.

87 Red Carerra Coupe
Old 11-25-2001, 11:40 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sure there are quite a few rubber, vinyl products you can use out there. But as for me, I have been using 3M vinyl/rubber from your local autoparts or even Target or Walmart with great results. It has UV protectant chemicals in it to help fight against the sun too.

There is another product, vinylflex (sp?), from the same company that makes Lexol leather care products.

FWIW, I won my class at a local Concours last May using the 3M product above.

Sonny Vo
Old 11-26-2001, 12:27 AM
Howard
Racer

It's Vinylex, made by Lexol, works great! You can get it at any auto parts store.

good luck !
Old 11-26-2001, 01:57 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I vote for Vinylex too. Black Again used to be one of the best products to restore trim. But the formula has changed and it's basically ineffective. Mequires #42 Rubber Treatment was also a great but has been discontinued.

I use Vinylex on everything from exterior trim, all interior vinyl, tires and engine rubber, plastic, hoses, etc. Works great and doesn't leave any greasy residue.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 11-26-2001, 09:14 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I use and highly recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant.It is less glossy than the Vinylex
I detail Porsches and the last concours here in Austin my cars took best of show, first and third place in the race car catagory.I use a scrubber sponge to apply the vinyl protectant,I cut the sponge to fit the area I am cleaning and use the scrubber to get the old wax that is on the rubber (not put there by me!)
Old 11-26-2001, 09:29 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the rubber/vinyl pieces are dirty, or have wax build-up, you can use Wurth Citrus Degreaser to clean them up to look like new. I learned this trick at a PCA Parade a couple of years ago.

You can then apply Lexol Vinylex to protect the rubber/vinyl pieces.

BR
Old 11-26-2001, 11:41 AM
gorpon73
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Lexol and Aerospace 303 are really good. The most important thing is to get a product that is Silicon free. Then it will not attract dirt or buildup. The aerospace 303 is silicon free, I don't know about the others.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:56 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not used this on my Porsche, but Mothers "back to black" worked wellon my Toyota. The trim on my car was chalky faded looking and it did just what it said it would do!

You need to re-apply it periodically like everything else.

Not sure how it compares to the other products mentioned, but other than the smell , I personally like Mothers products.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:05 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Desoto,

Black again was the best, but as noted above, the company was sold, the formula was changed and now I wouldn't use it (except for what I've got left at home).

Check out carcareonline.com, lot's of helpful hints at that site, very knowledgeable. Good luck.

Richard
'87 Carrera coupe (red)
Old 11-28-2001, 12:17 AM
Mike_O'
Track Day

Believe it or not, what has worked best on my 87 Jetta (lots of plastic - wheel wells, bumpers, side trim) is KIWI leather dye, available just about everywhere. I cleaned the plastic really well, then made a couple of applications in order to cover evenly. It has remained a deep black for several months and thru rain and washings. I should note, however, that I haven't used it on my 72 911.There isn't any plastic and the rubber still looks good enough to not have to try this stuff. For what it's worth.

Quick Reply: best cleaning product for trim?